It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:51 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where to play? 

Post Where to play?
Greetings,
I have recently returned to play Magic the Gathering and am looking for some games. As i dont speak much japanese, is there some place i could catch some friendly games with someone that wont be afraid of a foreign girl? :lol:
I am hoping to play some standard , but if people are willing to put up with a slow drafter, as i have to read the cards, id love to do some drafting too! I am close to the Shinjuku area, but willing to move around.
Regards, Ellen

Sun May 09, 2010 11:53 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Where to play?
Hi dicorci,

Magic is great and I'm glad you're starting to play again. The foreign community here is small but pretty friendly.

The primary event you should see about is Weds night at the Shakey's in Takadanobaba. It's even close to Shinjuku. A bunch of gaijin meet up and play a limited league and EDH, legacy, and standard.

Besides that it's not too hard to play with Japanese people after you get used to it. There is a good shop in Shinjuku and a new one opening in Takadanobaba soon which should be good for competitive and casual play.

Besides that if you ever want to meet up for magic post here and people will probably respond.

I live in Shinjuku and will be wanting to play a lot of standard soon. (Standard season has started and my deadline is Tuesday so I can stop working 16 hour days.)

Sun May 09, 2010 1:54 pm
Profile E-mail

Well im free every day after 5:30pm , so let me know when you want to play some games. Im rusty, but used to play lots of tournaments. Hopefully i will be in a decent enough shape to not embarrass myself too much at GP Sendai.

Sun May 09, 2010 2:18 pm
Profile E-mail

Considering Sendai? Now I'm excited about another serious player in the area.

Well, I recommend for the first meet up that you come to Shakey's on Weds. 5:30 is probably a bit early for people to show up but since I predict being at work until 7 or so Weds morning, I'll be off the rest of the day and so we can meet up before hand as well.

What standard deck are you currently rolling?

Sun May 09, 2010 4:12 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi Ellen, nice to virtually meet you. As Erek says, tournament magic, and FNM in particular isn't too tricky even if you don't speak a word of Japanese, as long as you know the relatively small number of archetypes. Either Shinjuku or Ikebukuro Amenity Dream is a good place for well-organized standard games on Friday nights, and we can often find someone to show you the ropes on your first night.

Good luck,
D

Mon May 10, 2010 9:49 pm
Profile E-mail

Don't like to start too many new threads, and the title of this one fits pretty well. Rumors of a new game store in Takadanobaba are correct. The dealer, Saito, is apparently the biggest dealer in Japan, and he speaks excellent English, apparently. His website is here: , and the announcement of the new store is here: . The latter page also has a map of Baba, and for anyone new, Shakeys, where we play on Wednesdays, is on the bottom edge of that map, on the road that runs between Meiji dori and the Yamanote line.

Larcath, that's a Legacy tournament on Sunday the 27th, in case your katakana isn't so good.

@ Anyone, my chances of making it to Shakey's in June are slim to none, but I'm really looking forward to Archenemy; I plan to go to Shindo's tourney next Sunday, and may make it to the 2HG event as well (Erek, were you planning to make either of those). I think that Archenemy is going to make multiplayer hum, even with league decks or like a 6-player game. I can't wait to play one of those soul-crushing effects and practice my evil laugh :twisted:

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:28 pm
Profile E-mail

Man, I love how you mention Saito as if everyone shouldn't know him. One of 6 level 8 pro players in the world. 2008 player of the year or something. :P

I didn't realize he was the #1 dealer in Japan though I've bought cards mail order from him and had good results.

Also, his english is good, but it's not great. He's played internationally for so long that you'd expect it to be quite good.

I plan on probably making it my new magic hang out.

I have no idea of my schedule for this coming weekend yet. Hopefully find some qualifying tournaments to play in, but if not then 2HG would be quite awesome. I'm pretty exhausted from manila right now but I will try to figure out a schedule soon. :P

Too bad you won't be at shakeys.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:50 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi,

thanks ... erm Katagana ... at my side there is no Hiragana/Katakana/ Kanji, so your comment was really helpful. I'm looking forward to see some of you also on the 27th of June.

Regards
Tom

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:38 am
Profile E-mail

Sunday I will be at the National Qualifier so I won't be able to make Shindo's gig. Sorry!

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Maybe we should have a stickied thread where people post tournament information for interesting tournaments in the future.

Large Legacy Tournament this Sunday.

It's fairly close about 30-40 minutes from central tokyo.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:09 am
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next