It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What kind of games? 

Post What kind of games?
What kinds of games do you like?

-----------------------------------------

Here's the short version of my answer.

There's a number of elements I like in games:
- high complexity;
- long (anything under 2 hours is a filler);
- strong theme;
- a sense of development / achievement aside from VPs or winning/losing;
- maps;
- a combination of different thematic aspects.

In terms of genres:
- Train games (18xx, AoS, etc.; TTR is not a train game);
- other complex economic games;
- Civilization games;
- Empire building games;
- Exploration games;
- Combinations of two or more of the above (this is really my preferred 'genre'), such as:
- Strategic wargames that involve economics and/or politics.

Favorite games in random order:
18xx, Indonesia, (Advanced) Civilization, Age of Steam, American Megafauna, Indonesia, Republic of Rome, Antiquity, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: What kind of games?
I never tried to analyse too much my gaming preferences, aside from what I said in the other thread (though that mainly states my dislikes... But I like most things Lajos said :D

Lajos wrote:
Favorite games in random order:
18xx, Indonesia, (Advanced) Civilization, Age of Steam, American Megafauna, Indonesia, Republic of Rome, Antiquity, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Did you list Indonesia twice intentionally? I know it's good, I don't know if it's that good :D

But I never could get my friends to play it more than once :(

Of 18xx, I played only 1856 Canada; fun. Long, but fun. If anyone can teach me to use the Moderator, I'd be grateful. Or I would be, if I didn't switch to Mac since.

Civ, I have blurry memories of 1 hour downtimes. It was great 10 years ago, but I would probably hate it now, if my memory holds true.

My Top of the Top is Race for the Galaxy. Short, but sweet. I don't normally fall for games that short, but that one manages to pack enough strategy into that half an hour that it doesn't feel fillerish.

Some other well-regarded titles:

Agricola, Cosmic Encounter, Die Macher, Primordial Soup, Reef Encounter, Traders of Genoa, Space Dealer, Twilight Imperium III, Through the Ages... and many more.

Last edited by Amadan on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Lajos wrote:
- high complexity;
- strong theme;
- maps;

This reads like a list of my preferences as well, but then you also mentioned that you dislike FFG and I... don't. :mrgreen:
FFG is actually responsible for my upswing in boardgaming lately. I've always enjoyd all kinds of games, but roleplaying in particular. However as it's become harder and harder to keep a campaign rolling me and my friends back home began playing more board games, and when I bought War of the Ring in 04 it started a kind of renessaince.

Twilight Imperium became our favourite and we played it quite a lot as well as trying out a lot of ameritrash games with varying results. But FFG was one publisher that rarely disappointed. The only game I can recall that I didn't instantly like was Star Craft, granted I never played it very much so I might just not have "gotten to grips" with it enough.

Anyway, for me the production values of a game are quite important and is usually a deciding factor if I'll buy a game or not. I think I've become used to FFG's (and, granted, many other companies nowadays) beautifully published games that I'm kind of spoiled.
For example, I love the theme of and it seems like fun, but it just looks cheap whick puts me off. That's not to say I don't want to play it ('cause I do!) but when it comes to buying it...

Theme is also very important for me and I think that's the main reason for me only owning one euro. Even though I usually find them fun to play they don't draw me in as when I'm playing Twilight Imperium, Arkham Horror or Fury of Dracula. I can often forgive a slightly clunky or luck based mechanic if the game experience itself is fun.

Hmm... I'm rambling.

A few of the games I've enjoyed most over the last few years:
Twilight Imperium (preferably with the Shattered Empires expansion), War of the Ring, Last Night on Earth, Arkham Horror, Fury of Dracula...

Currently I'm of course looking forward to actually playing my recently acquired Android and Battlestar Galactica, but for the future I'm getting Age of Conan in March and I would like to get a Descent campaing going but I think that would be hard considering the time constraints. Oh well...

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:27 am
Profile E-mail

Amadan wrote:
Did you list Indonesia twice intentionally? I know it's good, I don't know if it's that good :D

It was entirely unintentional. (Well, at least entirely unconscious.)

Amadan wrote:
Civ, I have blurry memories of 1 hour downtimes. It was great 10 years ago, but I would probably hate it now, if my memory holds true.

1 hour downtimes? That's bad. Worst I experienced is half an hour calamity sessions in a 20-player Adv.Civ game, but usually it's far less. It' very much dependent on the players though. A lot can be done simultaneously, and if you do that indeed, the game is considerably faster.
One of the game designs I'm working on at the moment, and my avatar is a photograph from a playtest with the latest prototype, is a 2 player adaptation (expandable to 3) of Civ (with some important changes) set in Japan (Joumon era until end of Heian). Normal Civ only works well with lots of players and then takes lots and lots of time. This version is designed to work with 2 players, and takes only 4 hours to play.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Quote:
- high complexity;
- strong theme;
- maps;

Man, I could have written that! Although I would add two items:
- multiplayer games
- strong diplomatic aspect

Just as examples of the games I really enjoy (and some have already been mentioned):
- (Advanced) Civilization
- Republic of Rome
- Sword of Rome
- Here I Stand
- Path of Glory

Currently Here I Stand is probably my favorite. Of all games I owe it best fits the aforementioned criteria. Plus, the warfare, diplomatic and religious struggle aspects really tie in beautifully. It's not an easy game, the first time around, but well worth it.

Nick

ps I like that you call anything below 2 hours filler games. A lot of people would think your internal clock is off the wall. Anyway, I do enjoy 'filler' (your time frame) games as well.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:42 pm
Profile E-mail

War....two players......head down agonizing over every move........a medium machine gun as a huge obstacle.......firing arcs.....some hot tea in a plastic bottle............enough pieces so that you know you have to lose some to win........move move move...........a machine gun ripping up a squad crossing the street..........watch your flank.......discussing tactics afterwards....

that's my kind of game...............

Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:48 am
Profile E-mail

Dogtucker wrote:
Just as examples of the games I really enjoy (and some have already been mentioned):
- (Advanced) Civilization

As mentioned elsewhere in these forums, the picture in my avatar is from a playtest of a 2 or 3 player version of AdvCiv set in Japan (Joumon up til approx. Heian era). Would you care for a playtest session some time?

Aside from that, I'd love to play a game of Republic of Rome at a gaming day some time. It would require that all interested players read the rules in advance though. (And it will take most of the day, unless distrust among players results in the fall of Rome of course.)

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Lajos wrote:
As mentioned elsewhere in these forums, the picture in my avatar is from a playtest of a 2 or 3 player version of AdvCiv set in Japan (Joumon up til approx. Heian era). Would you care for a playtest session some time?

I certainly wouldn't mind. By the way, I had a look at your papercut website. I wouldn't mind giving Caliphate a spin either.

cheers,
Nick

Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Profile E-mail

I love absolutely love civilization, and I noticed some of you guys own a copy!

I have a copy back home and I do not dare it taking it away from my brother, but I would love to play it some more.

I am also trying to understand re reading the rules for ASL and I am getting into it, does any one plays it already, and would have the patience to try to explain me the rules playing?

Giovanni

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 am
Profile E-mail WWW

---------
Hello Everyone!

I am fortunate enough to be called a NOOB when it comes to board gaming. In the past I had endured long and restless games of Supremacy (wake me up will ya?), some MB stuff, and Talisman. With the help of BGG I am on the road to enlightenment. I am interested in just about anything, BUT I don't want to endure heavy bouts of AP; my friends would attest that I would have the tendency to speed gameplay up with unwise decisions (Brett becomes a verb then).

I am newly exploring Euro-styled games, but I still prefer degrees of luck that can be attributed to dice; not that I am overtly lucky but I like the feel of them in my hand.

I get a kick out of chaotic things happening as long as there is some degree of control throughout. Story/Fantasy based games like Descent, Runebound, or Arkham would be fun for a weekend or day.

In the near future I would like to get A&A 50th Anniversary, DUST, Kingsburg, Jamaica or Pirate's Cove (for guests) and Small World added to my collection.

In anycase, this is a rather good idea of you to post this. Koudos to be given.

B

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:58 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next