It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:49 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Welcome! 
Site Admin

Post Welcome!
Hello and welcome to the JIGG forum.

As you can see we're just starting out and everything is very basic and sparse. Before going off and creating a bunch of subforums and customizing the layout I want to make sure people are actually using this forum.

However, please post your thoughts about how you would like this forum to function or how to best organize it.

That's all for now.

Cheers!

Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:44 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Welcome!
I just signed up for the JIGG mailing list again today. I cancelled my list membership before, because there were too many long discussions and replies to replies about subjects that didn't interest me. One could say that I canceled my membership before because the mailing list was used a bit as a forum. Hence, for that reason, but also for several other reasons, I think it is a very good idea to have a forum. Moreover, I'll probably actively participate in this forum.

Some further comments:

(1) You probably think 'who the hell is that'...
I have attended only one JIGG meeting thus far, because I'm never available on Sundays. I'd like to come more often, but can't guarantee anything.
Nevertheless, I hope you accept some comments from a 'newbie'.

(2) In the mailinglist it was suggested today that there could be separate subforums for the different JIGG regions. I think that that is a good idea.

(3) It was also suggested to use another, already existing forum. I'm not so sure whether that is a good idea, because that forum already has many different folders/subfora and a dedicated forum may result in more clarity to the users.

(4) Considering usage of this forum. Whether it will actually work is very much dependent whether participants have sufficient shared interests to create worthwhile content. Considering the usage of the mailing list as a forum in the past (I'm not sure whether that is still the case), I don't think that should be too much of a problem, but it might be useful to create additional content to make it worthwhile for JIGG members to actually visit this forum. Reports of gaming sessions, would be interesting for example. Unfortunately, as a rather 'irregular visitor', I can't be of much help in that respect.

(5) Considering forum structure, the big question is whether the forums for specific types of games (and an off topic forum) should be subforums below the regional level, or next to the regional level. That is very much dependent on the anticipated content. If these gametype-specific forums are intended to be used to discuss specific events, then they should be below the regional level; if they are more about games in general, they should be next to the regional level. If they're intended to be used for both, then maybe they should be split up. Something like the following might work:
- JIGG Tokyo meetings (forum for announcements and reports)
- JIGG Tokyo games (forum for game related discussions that are relevant for the Tokyo region only)
- JIGG Kansai meetings (forum for announcements and reports)
- JIGG Kansai games (forum for game related discussions that are relevant for the Kansai region only)
- boardgames
- miniature wargames (the term 'wargame' without the prefix 'miniature' is too ambiguous since it generally refers to board wargames)
- CCGs
- RPGs
- off topic
Of course, if there are other active JIGG regions, those could be added as well.

That's all I have for now.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Hi Lajos!
Glad to hear you feel the same way I do. :)

I agree with you completely. The most important thing is to have members actually sign up and start posting. People won't join unless there's some posts they can read, but there'll be no posts written unless people join.
So at the moment I think all posts are good posts basically, and since this is supposed to be a discussion forum it's hard to do any kind of "wrong" posts.

Your idea about forum structure looks good, although I think it might be good to hold off on the region-specific forums for the time being as not to dilute the posts further and then when/if people actually start using this forum regularely it's an easy thing to add.

As for being a newbie... well, I just signed up last month and have only been to two smallish (but very enjoyable!) meetings at Tintagel.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:51 pm
Profile E-mail

Hello all.
Thanks for setting up the forum, hopefully it will get used.
Sadly, I don't get to go to many of the meetups as I live up in Tochigi. Hopefully I can come to the next one.

Cheers,
John

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:13 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Well done on creating this forum. It will hopefully cut down the off-topic chatter on the JIGG boards that tend to clog up the real purpose of it i.e. to find people to game with. I live in Osaka so mostly I read the JIGG posts to get an idea of what's hot/not at the moment. But those discussions would be better had in a proper forum, perhaps this one?

Anyway I have been following the discussion closely and I noticed a few mentions of JIGG Kansai becoming active. So my main reason for posting is to let everyone know what's been happening down here.

The Kansai board was basically inactive with perhaps 2 or 3 people joining each year and then very quickly becoming disillusioned when they found that nobody was actively using it.

Anyway we had the good fortune to be caught in the NOVA debacle and just over a year ago found ourselves with a lot more free time. My wife and I started hosting games days regularly and then we decided to post open invites on the JIGG-Kansai board. Since then there have been about 160 posts this is more than in all previous years combined. We have found a lot of gamers had almost gven up hope of finding a wider community. Now instead of feeling we were the only gamers, there are events almost every week.

Well anyway that's what's happening down here. So if you're heading down to Kansai anytime, let us know and we'll see if we can find a game for you to join.

It is our hope, and if real life permits, to organise some larger events with the hope that people might come from the other areas.

Ryan and Linda

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:54 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Hi John, Ryan and Linda! Glad you stopped by.

It's good to hear that Kansai is active and gaming. And it gives us more reason to make region-specific forums for the two branches. I'll take care of that when I get back home today.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:50 pm
Profile E-mail

I just want to say thanks for setting this up. I would have done it years ago but I'm useless with tech stuff.

I'm not in Japan anymore, but I'm really glad to see JIGG members stepping up and getting things going, just as it's always been!

Thanks again! :D

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Thanks for setting this up, Martin.

We don't know each other, but I just wanted to say "thanks" anyway. :D

It's OK to promote my own group's games on here, right, even if they aren't official JIGG soirees?

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:54 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
JIGG Founder

Martin, I will chime in and say thank you for setting this up!

Also as co-founder of JIGG I will pull rank and say that I think
any gaming gathering can go under the JIGG banner. I think most
members would agree that it is a pretty informal, and friendly club.

If you organize a gaming event, go ahead and plug JIGG is my two
yens worth--by all means use the name.

Kevin in Kanagawa (Host of KevCon)

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:58 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Thanks, Kevin! Feels so warm and friendly in here! :D

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:59 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next