It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:10 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Vote for new sideboard swap rules: 

Are you in favor of the proposed sideboarding rule?
YES 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
NO 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 9

Vote for new sideboard swap rules: 

Post Vote for new sideboard swap rules:
So it was brought up to Stephen, and he said let there be a poll!

Basically, the way the proposed sideboarding rules go, is at the end of each match, instead of swapping one random card with your opponent, you exchange entire sideboards. There are a couple caveats I would like to add, though:
1: Allow a couple or a few slots for actual sideboard cards that don't get swapped. This way you won't end up giving away your only noncreature removal because you didn't maindeck it.
2: ALL rares permanently stay with you. This is partially because I know more than a few of us would do this anyway so its better that everybody is on even footing, but it also adds an interesting dynamic: Receiving an awesome black pool could then justify adding black for that bloodchief's ascention that you couldn't bring yourself to run before.

Now what this brings is a much more dynamic game, where each match is like opening a new Sealed pool. It is my experience that close to the end of each league, things tend to get a little boring and stale, and people are less interested in playing league. We have tried to have two leagues per expansion, but that is needlessly costly to both us and the kitty pool. With this, we can expect more life from the league.

Second, while the old sideboarding rule does add some deck development to the game, it is generally slow and unreliable, where you can play five games, and maybe if you're lucky get a minor addition to your pool. There is always that tension of wanting a good card from their pool, while not wanting to give away a good card from yours which I think negatively impacts the spirit of the game.

Anyway, I have talked enough about it. I have allowed people to change their votes, so feel free to discuss the merits and downsides to both, and to read those discussions!

Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:55 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Vote for new sideboard swap rules:
This is a good idea for near the end of a league when things get boring and people dont wanna play league anymore.

At the beginning its kinda troublesome. I just wanna play lotsa league games and not do so much deck creation at shakeys.

As the person who opened a Day of Judgment, I like the idea of keeping the rares you open.

Maybe we could adopt this sideboard rule either

A) Halfway through the league

B) When 2 players consent to do it this way at the start of a match.

I am in favor of anyway to get more "Bang for my Buck!"

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:40 pm
Profile E-mail

In principle, I like the idea a lot. It'll keep a fresh flow to your deck structure.

I agree with keeping all rares permanently.

As for "slots" for keepables, you'd have to write the names of those cards on your scoresheets, I guess.

S ;)

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:26 pm
Profile E-mail

An interesting idea, could be a lot of fun in a more limited format (e.g. a Game Day), but I voted against it for the time being.
Problems:
Power escalation, directly related to the number of games you've played, and an order of magnitude greater than previously. Play 20 games, get a 40 card constructed Pauper deck. Play your second game after a 3-week hiatus, get blitzkrieged
Forcing people to do something that they may or may not want to do...I feel that MaRo would call this bad game design
wife beckons...tbc...

Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Power escalation is a bit of a problem but it's probably greatly reduced by keeping rares.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:17 pm
Profile E-mail

ZPerhaps, but if I'm playing black, i'm likely to get a vampire and a removal spell every time I play someone in different colors. I actually expect that allies will be off the hook in this format - i had like 6 common alliues at the prerelease and when the came together they were quite swingy, never mind if you have the uncommon or rare allies.

Is it worth putting a number on the cards you keep? Or can I keep everything except the mindless nulls?

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:42 am
Profile E-mail

I don't think that escalation is a problem: It basically encourages you to play more games and with a wider variety of people. This seems pretty consistent with what other parts of the league (such as the scoring system) aim for as well. I don't think that pools will get weaker, though. People are still going to be playing at max two colors with a third splash (but more than likely just two colors), so that leaves lots of cards that you can catch from somebody's pool that isn't in their colors. Its not like they can hold on to the cards and keep you from getting the good cards they aren't using.

Anyway, how big of a "permanently keep" sideboard should we have? Three cards? Four cards? I think that, to ensure that only utility cards are in the sideboard, it should be small; I would prefer two cards but I know some people like to draw their sided cards.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:57 am
Profile E-mail

I vote for a 10 Card permanent sideboard i.e. 25% of your deck could change just like in constructed sideboards.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:28 am
Profile E-mail

gilrad wrote:
I don't think that escalation is a problem: It basically encourages you to play more games and with a wider variety of people. This seems pretty consistent with what other parts of the league (such as the scoring system) aim for as well. I don't think that pools will get weaker, though.

Escalation is definitely a problem, bcos this method DRASTICALLY accelerates the speed at which decks evolve. If I know someone has a card that would be perfect for me in their deck, I can play a dozen games under the current system and never get anything good; now I'll get that cool card and some other goodness every time i play (assuming colors don't completely overlap). i mean, the whole point of this is to build new decks with new cards, but because you already keep your best cards, i.e. your deck, then you're never losing power when you tinker, you only gain.
The gradual modification of the current system allows people who have played significantly fewer games to still have a chance against someone who's played more. Sure, I won't win the league, but I have a chance to beat you, which still makes it fun. If I fall behind, then I know that I won't win the league AND I have little chance of beating your deck. That sounds like a bad plan from the point of view of the league as a whole.

gilrad wrote:
Anyway, how big of a "permanently keep" sideboard should we have? Three cards? Four cards? I think that, to ensure that only utility cards are in the sideboard, it should be small; I would prefer two cards but I know some people like to draw their sided cards.

Well, if we're keeping the rares, then it needs to be a number at least equal to the number of rares in a sealed pool, bcos we've all played decks with 0-1 rares in the league, I'm sure. 6 boosters+booby prize+november=minimum 'keepboard' size of 8. Sean's idea of 10 seems like a bare minimum, and with a real set of sideboard options and perhaps even the option of keeping a chase uncommon (you know they're worth more than half the rares), 15 keeper cards does not sound unreasonable (I'm pretty sure I only have 1 rare in my deck, so I'm at 5 rares and 1 Vampire Nighthawk that I want to keep even before i consider a proper SB).

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:10 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Interesting discussion - keep it going.
Can we say poll closes end of Sat Oct 17th ??

To reiterate, there'll be 7 boosters total for the league:
6 initial + 1 in November (no Booby pack)

S ;)

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next