It is currently Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:03 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 variant formats of EDH 

Post variant formats of EDH
Was looking at some variant formats of EDH on the EDH forums.

There was an idea to give each player a random alternate win condition.

It seemed ok but you would often get conditions that ur deck would never be able to fulfill.

I got an idea.

Why not let players make up their own alternate win conditions.

They must be something crazy that would never happen in a usual (non EDH) game.

the crazier the better and the more bragging points u get if u fulfill ur condition!

the players tell each other their conditions at the start of the game.

Everyone must agree on the conditions at the start (not too easy).

Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: variant formats of EDH
Check out Anthony Alongi's articles on the main site - he used to write the Serious Fun column, and for my money is the best Magic writer ever. He specialized in alternative formats for multiplayer. 'Hunter' might be a good alternate win condition for faster games.
I am reluctant to have people choose their own, as their decks could be too well suited to meeting that condition (it seems to me that the opposite problem of not being able to meet your win condition is greater. Not being able to do ,it gives you more incentive to try and figure out what others are trying to do and disrupt them, which also makes for a funner experience while doing it to easily is a bummer for others). Alternately, we could have everyone design the funnest wincon they can think of, bring at least three different decks and decide randomly which deck you'll play.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:19 pm
Profile E-mail

the idea is ...the win conditions should b CRAZY!!!

the other players should say "No way you can do that!"

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:19 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Well, in keeping with the importance of the number 21 in the format, I would suggest:
[*]Control 21 creatures
[*]Attack with 21 creatures in one turn
[*]Control 1 creatures with stats at least 21/21
[*]Have 21 cards in your hand (degree of difficulty: for a period that extends past your own clean-up step)
[*]Control 21 non-land permanents
However, my concern is that if I knew I had to do one of these before the game began, i could choose the deck most likely to do it, and thereby have a big advantage over anyone who only had one deck, for example.
Of course, seeing i normally bring more decks than anyone else, maybe i should just shut up 8-)

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]