It is currently Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:07 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Tokyo Gaming / Gamestores? 

Post Tokyo Gaming / Gamestores?
Hello, I'm currently a student at Temple University Japan (in Tamachi) and I'm staying at dorms near Ontakesan. I was wondering what groups meet near these locations and what games do you play?

I tried finding a group on BoardGameGeek, but it seems like there is only one Tokyo group listed and it seems pretty much dead. After contacting one of the former leaders of the board / card game group at TUJ he directed me towards this site.

Also, I'm curious about where is a good place to buy board games here?

Any other general info for someone who is staying in Japan for a month or two would be appreciated.

- Stefan Sain Lopuszanski /

Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Tokyo Gaming / Gamestores?
Hi there, we have a group of 7 people playing games once or twice a week in Tokyo. Lately usually play DnD 4ED on Thursdays at Nakano station (1 stop away from Shinjuku) and board games / miniature games weekends at Ayase (3 stops away from Nisinipori) and sometimes Nakano.
I just got my Collectors edition of the war of the ring last week, so we will probably play that for 1-2 weekends, since everyone is really stoked about it. :)
viewtopic.php?f=&t=385&p=2687#p2687

Other games we play lately are:
Doom
Arkahm Horror
Heroclix
Axis and Allies War At Sea
Axis and Allies 50th aniv
Settlers of Catan
Talisman
Space Hulk

I have an account at BBG but not really active there.

From game stores you might want to take a look at Yellow Submarine (chain of stores) and Shosen books in Jinbocho.
Frankly speaking they ask an arm and a leg for board games here, so unless its a Japanese game that you cant find abroad, you are better off buying from the internet.
Its always cheaper to buy online from USA including shipping than buying in Japan.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:30 am
Profile E-mail

Thanks. I do play D&D 4E, mainly Living Forgotten Realms, but not sure if they have that here (I searched online briefly and found no groups that play it near Tokyo). Would be weird to come in to the middle of a campaign, especially if you already have a pretty full table.

I'd love to play War of the Ring, although I'm sure a lot of other people have "first dibs" on it.

I wasn't planning on buying anything I could find in the states -- was looking for some rare treasures, but it would still be cool to check out what type of games they offer out here.

I forgot to bring my Tichu and Fairytale deck... I even had them packed and ready to go, but it was the one thing I forgot. Oh well.

Thanks for the info, let me know of anything else that comes to mind. I'm pretty busy on the weekends with organized trips, but I can probably do something Tuesday/Thursday nights.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:49 pm
Profile E-mail

Have you played the "Keep of the Shadowfell" campaign?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:14 pm
Profile E-mail

I don't think so, but I've played a lot so it blurs together.

If your group is like 6+ people I'd probably prefer not to join, as I prefer smaller groups of like 4 players per DM.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:57 am
Profile E-mail

We are 5 now and about to finish it, so if you join you ll be doing 1-2 encounters before we end it. There are plans for a new campaign a friends is putting together next month, if you are still around. Also we will probably play some board game next weekend Sat 19 th. You are welcome to join us.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:47 am
Profile E-mail

Hi Tsondaboy,

my name is Sebastian. I'm from Germany and will stay until the end of September in Tokyo. While i searched the net for Warhammer and other wargames, I stumbled across this board. Its cool to see there are other board/wargames enthusiasts around here :) I have played WF Fantasy for some 10 year, and recently board games like Zombies, Red Alert, and Axis & Allies.

I would like to join you in the near future, either for board games (I read Saturday), or your new D&D campaign (I read Wednesday, did you start it yet?). What do you say?

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:01 pm
Profile E-mail

Hi Sebastian

Our new DnD campaign wont start before mid September because everyone is going on summer vacations visiting family back home e.t.c
You are welcome to join us for some board games while you are here.
I have Axis and Allies 50th aniv edition and also the war at sea naval miniatures game.
We mostly play during the week in the evenings, because i am surfing in the weekends. :)

Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:09 am
Profile E-mail

---------
So be it the boardgames. You even got the Anniversary Edition -- awesome! I can join you right in this week. Can you mail me the address details where and when you meet?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:05 am
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]