It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:48 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 The Council of Blackblade - Korlash EDH 

Post Re: The Council of Blackblade - Korlash EDH
Digging through old cards at my house that may serve a good EDH purpose, I came upon a Crypt Rats. Now I've been considering Crypt Rats for a while now but it wasn't until I actually had the card before me that I saw the true extent of its synergies. Crypt Rats does not necessitate its sacrifice for its ability. This means that one could dump say seven mana into it and then Rings of Brightheart the effect, resulting in 14 damage to everything for a mere 9 mana (at instant speed no less).

However the real seller for me was when I noticed that its a damage effect. Slap a Loxodon Warhammer on him and blow it for 10? I just GAINED 30 life and the other three players just lost 10 each. Or combine it with SoLS to keep it alive and plaguing it up. God forbid I equip both of those though with a rings of brighthearth in play.

Now what to take out. I was originally thinking Nev's Disk but I think that the Dimir House Guard is going to get the axe. I don't have many things to tutor with him and I already run many other better tutors. I don't think it cuts it. Crypt Rats will also probably do more damage over the course of the game that the original that Dimir house guard swapped with; Fallen Angel (of which I like the art and its a sac outlet--going in another deck).

Changes:

-1 Dimir House Guard
+1 Crypt Rats

Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Crypt rats is definitely a worthwhile inclusion. Rats + vampiric link has been one of my favorite pauper combos :)

Oh god, I just realized that the new M10 rules REALLY breaks the rats with the warhammer. Since lifelink no longer triggers, ringsing the crypt rats' ability will mean you can gain life from both effects, and you can put yourself below 0 life and still live. Warhammer just became a silly high priority target.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 am
Profile E-mail

Mwhahahahahahaha…. Hold on not done yet… Mwhahahahaha!

***** YOU BE MAH SLAVES!

This baby is going to do to Korlash what the Baneslayer and Serra Elemental did for Sean’s deck. I’m going BEATDOWN baby. However, the question remains HOW do I intend to do it? I did a bit of goldfishing earlier at school and what I was finding was that turn 1-4 mana was usually locked up in ensuring land drops either through map, tutors for Urborg/Coffers, Sphere etc. Therefore, I’ve already cut Nantuko Shade as Crypt Ripper is simply better in all aspects and when one runs so many tutors it is foolish to play cards that are strictly worse than others.

Now seeing as I have 1.) amazing card selection and 2.) early turns dedicated to setting up mana etc. the best option seems to be mid to late game beats. With all of the tutors being included, the first thing to come to my mind is the Dark Depths combo. If I draw either piece, I can tutor for the other and go to town with a 20/20. In addition, I can use Grim Discovery and/or Volrath’s Stronghold + Xiahou Dun to bring ‘em back for more.

The second thing to strike me was Darksteel Colossus. While I know he doesn’t fit under a traditional umbrella of “beatdown” my deck can consistently break 20 mana with cabal coffers and he is a THREAT that demands answering. Fortunately, he is by nature hard to answer :D Likewise, Xathrid Demon is going to make a return to EAT BIG DUDES!

So far we have:

+1 Abyssal Persecutor
+1 Vampire Hexmage
+1 Dark Depths
+1 Darksteel Colossus
+1 Xathrid Demon

Other candidate that I am considering consist of:

Hunted Horror (7/7 Trample for BB?!?)

Vampire Nighthawk (This guy LIKES equipment)

Blood Tribute (while not beatdown per se, it does hit hard :D)

Stronghold Overseer (More better than good!)

Dread (as a replacement or addition to Lethal Vapors)

Suck Hunter (6/3 with evasion that occasionally kills non-baneslayer angels and Jelly-Moose)

Laquatus’s Champion (6/3 regen that does damage when it comes into play)

Juzam Jin want-to-be’s (Grinning Demon, Plague Sliver etc.)

Bane of the Living (Wrath and/or Beater)

This Guy ()

Guiltfeeder (**** YOU STORY CIRCLE!!!)

Minion of Wastes (Yes, I’m emo)

Blood Speaker (He is a demon fetch engine all by himself! Too bad its only at the beginning of the upkeep)

Any other ideas are welcome and needed!

Now we have to look at what is to come out... Immediately, looking through the deck my eyes come to Temporal Extortion and Sadistic Sacrament. Extortion simply isn’t reliable and the Sacrament is only in there to deal with **** cards. I rather bash people in the ******* face than worry about what ****ery they have. Surestrike Trident also is begging for the axe. While I loved the card to death when I had infinite mana, it tends to under perform without rings of brightheart without the engine.

That’s about it for fat… now we need to retune the muscle. I love Icy Manipulator and Ring of Gix to death but Maze of Ith is simply superior. I’d like not to cut them but things might necessitate their removal. Likewise, Necrologia is amazing but Promise of Power is simply superior in all regards and also serves the roll of beatdown. The inclusion of more creatures also leaves me questioning Lethal Vapors as it is anti-synergetic with dudes.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:17 am
Profile E-mail

I did some discussion and going over the potential of each card in my proposed list with Brian today. So far, baring any more amazing additions from Worldwake, I’m looking at definitely adding the following:

Abyssal Persecutor
Dark Depth
Dread
Vampire Hexmage
Bojuka Bog

With the huge variety of tutors I’m sporting, it simply isn’t justifiable to run cards that either do not have versatility or the best of their kind. If I can tutor up an Abyssal Persecutor etc. it makes no sense to have other less potent beaters that accomplish similar tasks. As such, I am considering the following cards:

Vampire Nighthawk

Reason: I’ve noticed lately that I end up taking a lot of pain early on. This guy comes standard with evasion, deathtouch and lifelink. He’s a great early blocker for when people explode with Sol Ring and he gets pretty stupid pretty quickly with equipment.

Darksteel Colossus

Reason: Yes, he is 11 mana but for a lot of people he is simply unanswerable. He’s big, he tramples and he doesn’t die. With cabal coffers, the mana cost doesn’t feel prohibitive and he can certainly end games all by himself. The colossus is just the epitome of threat.

Dimir House Guard

Reason: I’ve had this guy in there before and I’ve never been unhappy with him. He is a body with a built in sac outlet and evasion that can tutor for a wide variety of things, including Diabolic Tutor. I can transmute this guy turn three and get the Abyssal Persecutor into play on turn four.

Xathrid Demon

Reason: This guy is just a powerhouse. However, he is a heavy investment on cards. With a Volrath’s Stronghold I can sac Korlash and put him back on top to replay him again for a mere four mana, and make the table loose lots of life (take that Story Circle!). He is also a potent beater in his own right. However, he is dangerous and a big card investment as he eats other dudes. Bloodghast mitigates this well but I’m not 100% sold on him yet.

Twisted Abomination

Reason: This guy is pretty much a swamp but he can be recurred with Volrath’s Stronghold as a means of making land drops consistently should it be needed and puts a body in the graveyard for a living death later in the game.

Everflowing Chalice

Reason: It’s extremely versatile acceleration that can come down on turn two for a one mana boost or turn six for a three mana boost (quick acceleration into Darksteel Colossus?) It does, however, demand a scarce card slot and is susceptible to all forms of destruction. Perhaps Coalition Relic would serve better for the purposes but I’m not sure that even that is worthy of the slot.

Now... what to take out?!?! That's the hard part!

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:01 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Abyssal Persecutor really pushed this deck into beatdown mode. It’s much more fun to play now and feels a lot lighter without the infinite mana combo. There are too many changes to the deck to really write out a long winded post chronicling them all. It's a totally different breed of beast. Hope you guys enjoy it. Feel free to ask question/criticize. Suggestions are always welcome.

// Lands

1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 [CHK] Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 [SOK] Miren, the Moaning Well
1 [US] Phyrexian Tower
1 [DK] Maze of Ith
1 [SH] Volrath's Stronghold
1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
1 [TO] Cabal Coffers
1 [OD] Petrified Field
1 [TSP] Vesuva
1 [WL] Winding Canyons
1 [OD] Deserted Temple
17 [IA] Snow-Covered Swamp
1 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
1 [AL] Thawing Glaciers
1 [TSP] Terramorphic Expanse
1 [ON] Polluted Delta
1 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
1 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs

// Black ***-Kickers

1 [MR] Reiver Demon
1 [TO] Nantuko Shade
1 [ZEN] Bloodghast
1 [RAV] Dimir House Guard
1 [FUT] Fleshwrither
1 [WWK] Abyssal Persecutor
1 [P3] Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed
1 [ZEN] Crypt Ripper
1 [LRW] Shriekmaw
1 [ZEN] Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
1 [TSB] Twisted Abomination
1 [BOK] Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
1 [LRW] Dread
1 [M10] Xathrid Demon
1 [TE] Minion of the Wastes

// Artifact ***-Kickers

1 [WWK] Pilgrim's Eye
1 [MR] Solemn Simulacrum
1 [MR] Duplicant
1 [M10] Platinum Angel
1 [DS] Darksteel Colossus

// Tutors

1 [OV] Vampiric Tutor
1 [P3] Imperial Seal
1 [A] Demonic Tutor
1 [PT] Cruel Tutor
1 [HOP] Beseech the Queen
1 [ST] Grim Tutor
1 [8E] Diabolic Tutor
1 [TSP] Demonic Collusion

// Planeswalkers

1 [LRW] Liliana Vess
1 [ZEN] Sorin Markov
1 [MR] Oblivion Stone
1 [TO] Mutilate
1 [PLC] Damnation
1 [TE] Living Death
1 [SC] Decree of Pain
1 [P3] Overwhelming Forces
1 [9E] Plague Wind
1 [ZEN] Grim Discovery
1 [RAV] Shred Memory
1 [US] Yawgmoth's Will
1 [TSP] Sudden Spoiling
1 [SC] Lethal Vapors
1 [US] Befoul
1 [RAV] Brainspoil
1 [HOP] Beacon of Unrest
1 [MR] Promise of Power

// Utility Artifacts

1 [US] Claws of Gix
1 [JGC] Sol Ring
1 [10E] Pithing Needle
1 [ZEN] Expedition Map
1 [V09] Sensei's Divining Top
1 [FD] Wayfarer's Bauble
1 [CFX] Armillary Sphere
1 [TE] Scroll Rack
1 [DD2] Mind Stone
1 [CHK] Journeyer's Kite
1 [U] Icy Manipulator

// Equipment

1 [WWK] Basilisk Collar
1 [V09] Skullclamp
1 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
1 [DS] Sword of Light and Shadow
1 [10E] Loxodon Warhammer
1 [MOR] Obsidian Battle-Axe
1 [DS] Whispersilk Cloak

// General

1 [FUT] Korlash, Heir to Blackblade

Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:22 am
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4