It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Council of Blackblade - Korlash EDH 

Post Re: Step into the Arena with Korlash - An Evolution
Thanks for the offer, but I think I've already got & play both.
I know where you're coming from for the favoring Necrologia over Necropotence, but with my Kagemaro deck, I'm going to need as many ways as I can get my grubby mits on to keep my hand as colossal as possible (besides, I've got a few ways to deal with pesky artifacts like Pee'thing Needle. If not, I can always rely on one of my many "sac a perm" outlets).
Actually, the way this thing is going (Kagemaro deck), it's almost becoming an EDH version of my "Forbidden deck" (absolute creature hate, named as such because I've been forbidden from playing it at school anymore, it's just that un-fun to play against).

Hence the reason I'm trying so hard to find those last pieces of that new EDH deck idea I've been working on for the last half a year or so. *insert another pimp-request for spare Living Death's*

also, why is it so god damn interesting for me to watch this deck of yours evolve?
I think it might have something to do with the level of familiarity with the cards being used, as well as being able to see what strategies I might be able to incorporate into my own deck ideas.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Quote:
I know where you're coming from for the favoring Necrologia over Necropotence, but with my Kagemaro deck, I'm going to need as many ways as I can get my grubby mits on to keep my hand as colossal as possible (besides, I've got a few ways to deal with pesky artifacts like Pee'thing Needle. If not, I can always rely on one of my many "sac a perm" outlets).

Don't get me wrong, Necropotence is a absurdly powerful card but you'll need to build your deck around it. Fortunately building your deck around Necropotence is super synergistic with Kagemaro. Make sure you have things like Library of Leng, Reliquary Tower and maybe even this as even if the Necropotence gets hit with a Pithing Needle you can still draw a card and hope for an out. It also is mild disruption in that it is a global effect.

Quote:
Actually, the way this thing is going (Kagemaro deck), it's almost becoming an EDH version of my "Forbidden deck" (absolute creature hate, named as such because I've been forbidden from playing it at school anymore, it's just that un-fun to play against).

Don't worry too much about creature hate. It's really not as big of a deal as it is in normal 60 card casual. Sean and I both have about 10 wrath effects in our deck as well as some spot removal and/or tap effects. If you do load up on both mass removal and single target spot removal, you're deck is going to be weaker in the areas of actually doing something. Remember it's the threat that isn't answered that bashes your face in. While with Kagemaro as your general you have a lot of wrath effects, keep in mind that without a remover of the hand capacity, he will at best be doing about -7/-7.

Quote:
also, why is it so god damn interesting for me to watch this deck of yours evolve?
I think it might have something to do with the level of familiarity with the cards being used, as well as being able to see what strategies I might be able to incorporate into my own deck ideas.

It's nice for me too as I can look back and see how far it has come. We both have a love for teh black deck and EDH has the biggest around...errr wait a minute! This thread has been great as I've been forcing myself to justify every card choice in the deck. The most important thing you should take from it though is this: LAND DROPS, LAND DROPS, LAND DROPS! Sean and I run very few land compared to most EDH decks but we rarely miss land drops.

Oh and you asked, and you shall receive. I here by present to you an online deck building tool. Enjoy... onii-chan <3

Edit: This deck is rapidly approaching it's final form until the advent of World Wake. The only thing I am thinking of adding is a tutor engine with Xiahou Dun, The One Eyed and Corpse Dance with buyback to infinitely reuse the regrowth function on a demonic tutor. That however requires the purchasing of a $30 Portals: Three Kingdoms card... Tempting ^_^

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:28 am
Profile E-mail

I did notice you don't play that many lands. But you don't have that much fixing either. What is it about your deck that lets you hit land drops consistently?

Fetches plus Crucible?

Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:47 am
Profile E-mail

Rishana wrote:
Edit: This deck is rapidly approaching it's final form until the advent of World Wake. The only thing I am thinking of adding is a tutor engine with Xiahou Dun, The One Eyed and Corpse Dance with buyback to infinitely reuse the regrowth function on a demonic tutor. That however requires the purchasing of a $30 Portals: Three Kingdoms card... Tempting ^_^

Correction: $20 card:

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:32 pm
Profile E-mail

Rishana wrote:
I here by present to you an online deck building tool. Enjoy... onii-chan <3

[raep]
yamete, onii chan! soko wa yada! dame! dame! iyaaaa~!!
[/raep]

Ahh, mtgvault. I've had an account there for a while, but there's just something about their building interface that isn't quite intuitive enough (it's the having to reload the page every time you add a new card, plus no deck stats on things like mana curve and creature to spell ratio. good enough, though). There was another one I used to use a long time ago that got taken down, but it was a hell-a easy to use (flash based). Had been hoping there was another one out there along those lines.

Yeah, Kagemaro's idea is basically 1) get my hand huge 2) keep it huge 3) wipe the field multiple times 4) swing every so often for the lulz (win? why would I want to win? that would cut down on my playing/tormenting time)

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Quote:
I did notice you don't play that many lands. But you don't have that much fixing either. What is it about your deck that lets you hit land drops consistently?

Fetches plus Crucible?

Top and scroll rack can almost assure than I draw a land when I need it if I get them. Thawing Glaciers and Journeyer’s Kite mean that missing land drops doesn’t happen. With all the tutors I run, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using an early tutor to go grab a land, namely the glaciers if I so happen to be mana ****ed. Expedition Map gets either the crucial Urbog/Coffers or the glaciers in the case of no other lands in hand. Armillary Sphere nets two lands which more often than not will get me to the five mana mark where the Necrolgia/Promise of Power card advantage can make sure I keep the lands coming. The Skullclamp/Bloodghast engine also helps in this department. Finally there’s the crucible engine as you noted.

Thanks to Sean’s kindness, I now have added a card I never thought I’d have access to, Imperial Seal. I am eternally grateful as to me it means more than just a card but a metaphorical representation of all I’ve learned in magic through playing with him. Every time I cast it I’ll think of you buddy. Hmmm… What crazy play would Sean make here…?

Changes:

-1 Nether Traitor
-1 Temporal Extortion

+1 Imperial Seal
+1 Living Death

Nether Traitor and the Extortion were just the weakest link. Nether Traitor is a worse bloodghast and the extortion isn’t a guaranteed play—sometimes it works, but when you’re counting on the extra turn and opponents know it…

Imperial Seal is obvious sauce. Living Death, while not something my deck can overly abuse, does read “Each player exiles all creature cards from his or her graveyard, then sacrifices all creatures he or she controls, then puts all cards he or she exiled this way onto the battlefield.” In other words, it slaughters Darksteel Colossus and the other indestructible men of annoyance. Plus I can get a few dudes back ^___^;

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:01 pm
Profile E-mail

I believe you nou now have at your disposal some of the finest Black cards in existence. I'm trying to think of something BLACK POWAH you don't have, and all names escape me.

bravo, sir.
bravo.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:03 pm

still need a grim tutor, which he will be getting in the states.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:12 pm
Profile E-mail

Oh, thought he already had that one.
Might as well throw Cruel Tutor on to the list, just to finish it off.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:41 am

---------
I think my heart is still racing after hitting the order button on the most expensive card order I’ve ever made in my life. But as soon as the cards arrive, I’m done. Looking back at the past lists I can really see how far this deck has come and how much it has demanded me to grow as a player. I don’t think I could be more proud of where it is today and while I know some people might be mind boggled at how much I’ve come to spend on this deck, it is a product of my own mind’s creation and I intend to see it tuned to the max.

With some of the money I’ve saved up and a generous Christmas gift I was able to purchase a Grim Tutor, Cruel Tutor and a Xiahou Dun, the One Eyed. This deck has now evolved into what I see as the final form. Over time the number of creatures has steadily diminished as has the playstyle of the deck. To that end, I decided to finally get rid of the arena.

This of course calls for a change in name. During play I have come to notice that this EDH masterpiece plays much like a story in which each game, Korlash struggles to maintain his defenses while he learns the arts of the legendary Blackblade. I don’t think anyone can deny the power of mono-black once it gets enough swamps and a Cabal Coffers into play and to me this represents a mastery of the Blackblade—its also the time Korlash tends to start hitting the battlefield. While Korlash may be the Blackblade’s heir, he certainly doesn’t have immediate mastery of the blade that felled two Elder Dragons. Thus he must consult a council of tutors in order to comprehend its power.

While I certainly have not minded winning via my infinite mana combo of cabal coffers, deserted temple and rings of brighthearth I understand that there is some dislike of it in the play group. I had hoped to have the fragile combo be answered in game rather than through removing it. I hoped it would prompt people to play more disenchant effects as my “going off” is contingent on there being not a single disenchant effect castable at the table. In the spirit of interactivity though, it has been cut and replaced with Petrified Fields as soon as I can find one.

Here’s my pride and joy:

// Lands 34

12 Swamp
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Maze of Ith
1 Winding Canyons
1 Vesuva
1 Terminal Moraine
1 Petrified Fields
1 Polluted Delta
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Bad River
1 Rocky Tar Pit
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Esper Panorama
1 Grixis Panorama
1 Jund Panorama
1 Marsh Flats
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Phyrexian Tower
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1 Volrath's Stronghold

// Champions of Blackblade 6

1 Platinum Angel
1 Nantuko Shade
1 Crypt Ripper
1 Bloodghast
1 Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni

// Card Advantage 7

1 Armillary Sphere
1 Journeyer's Kite
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Scroll Rack
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Necrologia
1 Promise of Power

// Recursion 7

1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Grim Discovery
1 Puppeteer Clique
1 Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Reito Lantern

// Tactical Targeting 4

1 Ring of Gix
1 Icy Manipulator
1 Duplicant
1 Tendrils of Corruption

// Misc. Artifacts 4

1 Claws of Gix
1 Pithing Needle
1 Sol Ring
1 Rings of Brighthearth

// Mass Slaughter 9

1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Overwhelming Forces
1 Decree of Pain
1 Plague Wind
1 Damnation
1 Mutilate
1 Reiver Demon
1 Kagemaro, First to Suffer
1 Living Death

// The Sages of Blackblade 10

1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Expedition Map
1 Dimir House Guard
1 Grim Tutor
1 Cruel Tutor
1 Imperial Seal
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Demonic Collusion
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor

// Armory of Blackblade 11

1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Skullclamp
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Sigil of Distinction
1 Surestrike Trident
1 Sword of Kaldra
1 Helm of Kaldra
1 Shield of Kaldra
1 Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang
1 Obsidian Battle-Axe

// Trix are for Zombies 4

1 Hatred
1 Lethal Vapors
1 Sudden Spoiling
1 Imp's Mischief

// Korlash’s Allies 2

1 Liliana Vess
1 Sorin Markov

// Heir of the Blackblade 1

1 Korlash, Heir to Blackblade

Well there she is! I am going to need to stress this to the group. THIS DECK IS DANGEROUSLY POTENT. WHILE SEAN MAY BE AT TIMES LOUDER THAN ME, IF IGNORED I WILL STEAM ROLL YOU. I have built a powerful deck, too powerful in some people’s view points. I don’t want to have to tone down my creation (within reasonable limits) because people are making bad play mistakes. When I win a game, I don’t want to hear “oh its because your deck has cards that are over $100 a piece!” Consider this my warning.

I can’t wait to get back and put this bad boy into action and start the carnage!

Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next