It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:51 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Council of Blackblade - Korlash EDH 

Post Re: Step into the Arena with Korlash - An Evolution
Don posted his deck on Darryl's suggestion and they told him "claws of gix ... weakest card in the deck" lol

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:10 pm
Profile E-mail

Anyway it looks like Magus of the Coffers is going to be the next up on the chopping block. He has such a huge target on his head that I doubt he will live the turn to untap for bunches of mana... He is seriously kill on sight... still I like the pure carnage all that mana can produce.

Things I'm considering adding:

Dimir House Guard
Xathrid Demon
Crypt Ripper?!?!
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed
Reiver Demon

Current Changes:

-1 Spawning Pool
+1 Winding Canyons

Reasons: The man land was never really needed. The original idea was he could suit up for a turn if need be but casting Korlash at EoT is just TOO good.

Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:18 pm
Profile E-mail

Dimir House Guard -
"Boy, I sure wish I had a bajillion ways to search for Damnation..."

Xathrid Demon -
Fat and juicy, but fatal if you don't have some way of feeding it. (Oh, hello General Korlash!). Jesus, I can see that being REALLY f*cking scary. Please don't play him. Please? ;_;

Crypt Ripper -
meh. yeah, you're gonna have a ton of mana to pump into him, but surely there are better things to pump that mana into (like, perhaps a guy who STAYS big once he hits the field? Never been a fan of guys that you need to keep inflating.)

Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed -
christ, tell me you have one of these. If so, YES, put him in the deck (+ Corpse Dance = never ending commmbooooo~)

Reiver Demon -
I'm kinda surprised he's not already in there. But, I guess you might not need him if you're already packing as much creature hate as it is. Still, sideboard-ish at least.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:30 am

Quote:
Reiver Demon -
I'm kinda surprised he's not already in there. But, I guess you might not need him if you're already packing as much creature hate as it is. Still, sideboard-ish at least.

He only hits non-black, non-artifact dudes and the majority of EDH decks are in some way black. He's good no doubt but I really don't want him in hand when I need a sweeper and have nothing but a board of partially black **** in play. He's quite a reactive dude and ends up sitting in the hand until there is a place for him to be played.

Quote:
Xathrid Demon -
Fat and juicy, but fatal if you don't have some way of feeding it. (Oh, hello General Korlash!). Jesus, I can see that being REALLY scary. Please don't play him. Please? ;_;

NOM NOM NOM, Korlash yummmy. YOU ALL DIE NOW!!!! I think I'm going to play him. Winding Canyons EOT Korlash NOM NOM NOM

Quote:
Crypt Ripper -
meh. yeah, you're gonna have a ton of mana to pump into him, but surely there are better things to pump that mana into (like, perhaps a guy who STAYS big once he hits the field? Never been a fan of guys that you need to keep inflating.)

It's really for the haste that he is played. He hits the table running and then rips you a new one.... That said I agree with you that it just lacks any sort of epic feeling since it only last the turn. Personally I find just a massive consume spirit to the face to be much more fun.

Quote:
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed -
christ, tell me you have one of these. If so, YES, put him in the deck (+ Corpse Dance = never ending commmbooooo~)

They are $30 a piece but I might try to pick one up when I go home.

Right now I'm definitely thinking Xanthrid Demon and maybe Xiahou Dun.... I just don't want to win with Crypt Ripper ;_;

Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:08 am
Profile E-mail

I know you cut it because it restricts your options, but I seriously think that Wispersilk Cloak deserves a slot.

Instead of equipping Korlash with it the moment you have a chance (which then locks out any other equips), a better option would be to keep it in your hand or a tutor available, wait until you find an opening, then play, equip, and smash face. There are many situations (like Wednesday's game), where having an unblockable, untargetable Korlash would have won you the game, especially considering Sean's hand resources were pretty much depleted around the time that play was sensible.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:24 am
Profile E-mail

Big changes to the deck today! I finally found a deserted temple at the Yellow Sub in Akiba today, which unfortunately means that I have an infinite mana engine in the deck. It went off today--twice in the same game actually. The first time was LOL's as Brian went to negative infinity from a Crypt Ripper (this guy is so amazing and he is not ugly anymore since he is foil. Seriously... he is pwnz.) The second time just left me feeling icky as I didn't have such a cool means of slaying available to me.

As such, to keep the deck FAIR, all X spells are being removed.

The cards that make up infinite mana engine is simply too good on their own to cut but their inclusion forces the "right play" to be to abuse it. Therefore I'm cutting all ways of exploiting the infinite mana that don't involve combat.

Changes:

-1 Magus of the Coffers
-1 Consume Spirit
-1 Maga, Traitor to Mortals
-1 Profane Commands
-1 Stuffy Doll

+1 Crypt Ripper
+1 Xanthrid Demon
+1 Darksteel Forge (20 yen?!?!)
+1 Nether Traitor
+1 Grim Discovery

Oh, Crypt Ripper is AMAZING! Even on turn four, he comes out of the gate swinging and DEMANDS to be answered.

Xathrid demon, while he has only come out twice, caused a face of pure terror on Sean when I proceed to drop Korlash the same turn... I'll need some more tests.

Nether Traitor is a 2nd Bloodghast, has HASTE and SHADOW so he can come out of nowhere (...or more than likely the graveyard) Voltron it up and then swing right away.

Darksteel forge is a card that I've never really played before but it seems like it will be great with all the artifacts I run. Plus, it gives me a reason to WANT to play Nev's Disk and not feel obligated because it is one of two ways I have to slay enchantments...

Grim Discovery is pretty much 2 mana, draw 2 cards. It gets back a guy AND gets by Urborg/Cabal Coffers that someone will probably be **** and kill...

I must say I feel a lot less **** casting Sorin now because I don't have direct damage anymore.... ENTER THE RED ZONE!

Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:07 pm
Profile E-mail

Woooo! Just got back from the weekly tournament EDH game in Shinjuku and with the exception of a prick trying to cast BALANCE (it's banned) was a total blast. I ended up bringing the infinite engine to full power, drew my deck with top, and with the aid of a haste enabler and a sac outlet pitched a truck load of Surestrike Tridents into every other players face... for lots. The combo was so ****y and require so many cards that no one really cared that I won with it. It was cool though because they pretended it didn't happen (declaring me the #1 winner) and played out for 2nd so I wasn't left feeling like a prick.

The best part? I got hit with a Nicol Bolas and lost a lot of good cards, namely Sorin Markov. But like the champ I am, I ripped a Demonic Collusion after two turns and between Cabal Coffers and the Deserted Temple (and a friendly Japanese guy with Urborg in play ^_^) I pumped enough mana out to Decree of Pain for 12 cards! Nice wrath IMO. I drew four tutors out of that which was enough to go grab the infinite engine and HURL TRIDENTS AT PEOPLE FOR PROFIT!!!

Anyway the most recent Changes:

-1 Phyrexian Arena
-1 Graveborn Muse

I bet you're thinking WTF?!?! right now right?

+1 Reiver Demon
+1 Nantuko Shade

I found the card advantage over time to be superfluous. I have enough card advantage in the form of getting and subsequently making my land drops. When I need cards, I rather be abusing the Skull Clamp engine with Nether Traitor and Bloodghast than hoping my arena/muse lasts the turn.

They're good cards no doubt, just not for this deck...

Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:08 pm
Profile E-mail

just by way of wondering, what was this ridiculous infinite Trident combo you were so fond of abusing?

Also, you're throwing in a Nantuko Shade too?!! and your seemingly limitless resources, Don. The day I see you play an Imperial Seal I will.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:57 am

Rishana wrote:
Nether Traitor is a 2nd Bloodghast, has HASTE and SHADOW so he can come out of nowhere (...or more than likely the graveyard) Voltron it up and then swing right away.

I just want to use maze of shadows one time. :P

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:53 am
Profile E-mail

---------
Quote:
just by way of wondering, what was this ridiculous infinite Trident combo you were so fond of abusing?

Also, you're throwing in a Nantuko Shade too?!! God damn you and your seemingly limitless resources, Don. The day I see you play an Imperial Seal I will

I've had a play-set of shades since I used to play them in suicide black vintage tournaments. They hit hard ^_^ The trident combo is Surestrike trident + Korlash. However, the more elements you add to it (such as sac outlet + haste equipment and infinite mana or Rings of Brightheart (throw TWO tridents)) the more ridiculous it becomes. With the rings of brightheart and the trident Korlash obliterate players for 30+ points of damage each turn! With out even attacking!

As for your EDH deck, I have both Necrolgia (IMO better than Necropotence in EDH for mono-black. See my reasons why below) and Dregs of Sorrow which is like a slightly worse (at time slightly better) version of Overwhelming Forces. I'll give you them both if you'd like.

Anyway...

Sean and I took a long hard look at the deck last night and decided to make some more cuts. We were originally planning to go with a more mid-range aggro beat down type of build but as we were cutting cards I started to dislike the direction the deck was heading. While I know that building a deck around a particular angle of attack is arguably more potent, I decided to go with a more varied version of Korlash that has elements of beat down, control and combo. This of course makes it harder to play as I have to actively adapt to what’s in my hand but I see it as the right way play given what is fun for me.

Changes:

-1 Darksteel Forge
-1 Xathrid Demon
-1 Bane of the Living
-1 Chainer, Dementia Master

+1 Coalition Relic
+1 Mind Stone
+1 Tendrils of Corruption
+1 Necrolgia

Reasons:

Darksteel Forge is a stupidly powerful card but it isn’t really something that effects the board position. At 9 mana, tapping out one turn for no immediate gain often seems like suicide, especially when I’m staring down a Baneslayer Angel! It’s powerful once it’s in play but only when I already have a dominating board presence via artifacts.

Mind Stone and Coalition Relic, along with Sol Ring, really help smooth out the deck. While I very rarely miss land drops, I’m not Sean and I don’t have Land Tax and Co. My EDH deck’s weakest point is the mid game where I don’t have enough mana to cast big spells and my coffers/Urborg aren’t in play yet. Both of these help smooth over that occasional bump, either accelerating me into more cards such as a tutor or Promise of Power, or give me the mana to land a big threat earlier. Mindstone also can net me a card late game.

Necrolgia was originally going to be Necropotence. However, the most broken card draw engine ever is extremely dangerous in EDH (a format where everyone SHOULD be running pithing needle). More often than not, I would want to play out my hand then Necropotence back to 7 cards and immediately sac it (so Brian can’t MINDSLAVER me). Necrolgia serves that function with out the frailty of being a permanent. I am thinking its BETTER than Necropotence for EDH in Mono-Black.

When I cut the forge, we were discussing what to play in the slot. With the way the deck has evolved, I am paying a lot of life with few ways to get it back (no consume spirit). Tendrils of Corruption is one of those cards that’s great to have in hand as it nukes a dude and generally just saves you from being anal raped. And we all know how painful surprise **** seckz can be… right?

Bane of the Living simply is lacking. In a different deck, he’s great but as a Wrath effect he is a 5+X costing dude. He’s easily the worst wrath in the deck. Now that I have Nev’s Disk and Reiver Demon back in, I feel comfortable cutting him. Chainer, Dementia Master while he has done fun stuff, is simply under performing. He demands dudes in the yard otherwise he’s a dead card. I love him and all from when I Yosei locked with him but it’s time to move on. The clique is still in there as it serves as graveyard hate and the creature gets haste. Finally Xathrid Demon, while good, isn’t fun when I sac my general to him. There’s just something wrong about it—especially when Korlash is such a focus of the deck.

Here is an updated deck list!

// Lands
12 Swamp
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Maze of Ith
1 Arena
1 Winding Canyons
1 Vesuva
1 Terminal Moraine
1 Deserted Temple
1 Polluted Delta
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Bad River
1 Rocky Tar Pit
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Esper Panorama
1 Grixis Panorama
1 Jund Panorama
1 Marsh Flats
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Phyrexian Tower
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1 Volrath's Stronghold

// Creatures
1 Platinum Angel
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Duplicant
1 Fallen Angel
1 Platinum Angel
1 Puppeteer Clique
1 Nantuko Shade
1 Crypt Ripper
1 Nether Traitor
1 Bloodghast
1 Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
1 Kagemaro, First to Suffer
1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni

// Spells
1 Armillary Sphere
1 Ring of Gix
1 Icy Manipulator
1 Journeyer's Kite
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Scroll Rack
1 Reito Lantern
1 Expedition Map
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Claws of Gix
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Pithing Needle
1 Sol Ring
1 Coalition Relic
1 Mind Stone
1 Rings of Brighthearth
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Skullclamp
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Sigil of Distinction
1 Surestrike Trident
1 Lethal Vapors
1 Tendrils of Corruption
1 Necrologia
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Imp's Mischief
1 Hatred
1 Sudden Spoiling
1 Sword of Kaldra
1 Helm of Kaldra
1 Shield of Kaldra
1 Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang
1 Liliana Vess
1 Sorin Markov
1 Temporal Extortion
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Promise of Power
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Demonic Collusion
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Overwhelming Forces
1 Decree of Pain
1 Plague Wind
1 Damnation
1 Grim Discovery
1 Mutilate
1 Obsidian Battle-Axe

// General
1 Korlash, Heir to Blackblade

Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:25 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next