It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:31 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Saitama Game Day, March 8th 

Post Re: Saitama Game Day, March 8th
akalamduk wrote:
It seems interesting, because it looks as though it's possible for the game to end without necessarily achieving the goals, but there are lots of sub-goals to work toward as well. Very complex, story-wise, but the actual play seems simple.

It's not only possible, but very very probable unless you've played the game a few times. And if you add in the expansions, it gets even tougher. You really need to know the story and the way it is represented in the game - and then plan for it all the time - to have a snowball's chance in hell.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:07 pm
Profile E-mail

The LOTR game sounds very interesting.

Monkey Scott, the last time we met I think we played a feng shui one shot, and I think Kevyn may be bringing a sci-fi one shot. I think it just depends on who shows up.

We have been trying to get some RPGs going, but I think that's been a little difficult. Everybody lives in different towns which always complicates life. What game/genre/whatever are you interested in?

Cheers,
John

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:52 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

It's not specifically an anything day. I booked the room, and if people come they come. I'm bringing a few things for people to do, but unfortunately my schedule makes it difficult at the moment to actually prepare anything RPGesque (though I might bring something if I get a few hours to myself this week or next)

Naturally, anyone who wants to bring anything is welcome, and almost certain to find takers unless you come late and everyone's already committed.

cards
boards
paper and dice
storytelling
jan ken

I don't know about you, but if I get to hang out with my fellow geeks for the day I'm just not that picky. (though truth be told I'd rather rpg...)

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Amadan:

Hey, I have no problem with unwinnable games so long as the playing part is interesting.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:13 pm
Profile E-mail

A game designed to be unwinnable could be interesting.

/tangent
For example, gaming first contact. One side plays the humans, with interplanetary travel and non-transcendent AI. The other side plays the bizarrely advanced star faring aliens. Maybe the aliens want to demolish the solar system to build a Dyson sphere or some other big dumb object. That doesn't really matter, it's just an excuse for why they find humanity inconvenient. So the human side is doomed to extinction, but they might have a chance to slightly improve the situation in some way. Maybe a small population can escape, or transcend, or hitch a ride or something. Although I guess that would count as winning. Never mind.
/tangent

Back on topic, I would love to play sometime. It's sort of like Gamma World turned up to 11. It looks awesomely retro stupid.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:46 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

cosimoilvecchio wrote:
A game designed to be unwinnable could be interesting.

/tangent
For example, gaming first contact. One side plays the humans, with interplanetary travel and non-transcendent AI. The other side plays the bizarrely advanced star faring aliens. Maybe the aliens want to demolish the solar system to build a Dyson sphere or some other big dumb object. That doesn't really matter, it's just an excuse for why they find humanity inconvenient. So the human side is doomed to extinction, but they might have a chance to slightly improve the situation in some way. Maybe a small population can escape, or transcend, or hitch a ride or something. Although I guess that would count as winning. Never mind.
/tangent

Well, I guess it depends on how one sets up the situation. If the goal of the humans is to *remain* recognisably human, but the only way to avoid obliteration is to transform the race into something no longer really human, then the only way to "win" as a species is to destroy humanity itself. Classic futurepunk sci fi theme of course...

cosimoilvecchio wrote:
Back on topic, I would love to play sometime. It's sort of like Gamma World turned up to 11. It looks awesomely retro stupid.

Pokethulu looks fun too :shock:

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Absolutely!

S. John Rossi has produced some pretty amazing stuff. I think he is the author of Medieval Demographics Made Easy. There's a text adventure (Zork style!) using Encounter Critical on his website. I'm thinking about springing for the full version, as the teaser was pretty funny/fun.

I've got time at work and a computer lab to myself. I'll look into getting some pokethulhu material together for March,

The tanget was sparked by rereading Accelerando, and a story over at . The story starts . I stumbled across Overcoming Bias through . You might like his book Blindsight, which is available online as a pdf or as html. Some of his earlier stuff is also available. He's a marine biologist turn SF writer. Aggressively materialist and darkly funny.

Cheers

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:10 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Hi,

Ok, I'll come to the Saitama game day. I haven't been there before but I am eager to check it out (I live along the Tobu-Isezaki line near Kita-Senju).

Anyway, I'll bring along two (tactical) wargames:
Conflict of Heroes (WW II, east front) and Command & Colors: Ancients (Rome vs Carthage).

Both are easy to learn, quick to play, seat 2, 3 or 4 people and a lot of fun. I hope to convince some of you!

cheers,
Nick

Last edited by Dogtucker on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Dogtucker wrote:
Hi,

Ok, I'll come to the Saitama game day. I haven't been there before but I am eager to check it out (I live along the Tobu-Isezaki line near Kita-Senju).

Hey Nick, we'll be looking forward to seeing you. Take any express on the Isesaki line and you'll be in Tobu-dobutsukoen in 30min or so from Kitasenju.

Actually, for anyone else who's thinking about coming out from Tokyo:

All the northbound express trains on the Hanzomon line, and all the express trains from Tobu-Asakusa station stop at Tobu-dobutsukoen. Both routes have trains leaving about every 10 minutes, and there's a "kaisoku" service from Asakusa about once an hour (regular fare, not the tokkyu/special express fare)

From the following stations with no transfers:

Kita-Senju (any Isesaki line kyuukou/express)33min
Tobu Asakusa (kukankyuukou/section express) 45min
Tobu Asakusa (kaisoku/rapid) 40min
Oshiage (hanzomon kyuukou) 44min
Shibuya (hanzomon kyuukou) 72min

A lot of Hibiya line trains go to Tobu-dobutsukoen as well, but AFAIK they're all local, so you'd better *really* like gaming if you choose that route.

Seriously though, it's inaka but it's not really that far if you live close to a line that feeds into Asakusa, Kita-Senju or anywhere on the Hanzomon line, so consider coming out! I'd *love* to have a motivation to wrest control of the shinshukan from the cosplayers once in a while!

Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:12 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
I've wanted to try command and colors for a while.
John

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:13 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next