It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:51 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Rise of the Eldrazi Pre-Release Info 

Post Rise of the Eldrazi Pre-Release Info
Guys, the usual sites have the info. Shindo's place in Shinjuku has the following info:

The regional tournament is usually organized by Umesaki-san. The complete info isn't up yet, but it seems that he will be in HIGH LIFE PLAZA, ITABASHI (ハイライフプラザ板橋). This is the place we went to for ZENDIKAR and ALARA REBORN, not the place with the Worldwake PR. I know it's a bit confusing that he oscillates between these two location, but this one is bigger and more convenient. The info, when it comes, will presumably be at:

Love, kisses, and visions of foil Eldrazi titans,
D

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Rise of the Eldrazi Pre-Release Info
Thanks for the info, Daryl.
Who's going? Sat or Sun?

Bring your scoresheets for the Worldwake league to Shakeys. It finishes this Wed Apr 7th.

Stephen ;)

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Will the site on Sunday have English packs?
I realize the site says it's Japanese, but I think I heard they had English last time...?

I personally don't care, but my friend insists on playing in a language he can easily read >_<

Thanks!

Alex

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:56 pm
Profile E-mail

Any pre-releases on Sunday that are later in the evening? That's the only time I have available unfortunately :(

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:26 am
Profile E-mail

Later than 5:30?

I'm not sure you're going to find that.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 am
Profile E-mail

Anyone interested going to a Sunday prerelease? Prob. during the day? I'm thinking about going to Yumeya in Akihabara, which is from 1pm.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:07 am
Profile E-mail

I may be limited to a single (half) day this time around, so will probably be going to Itabashi on Saturday and nothing else (although there should be 2+ flights, drafting and gunslinging). The stores like Yumeya and Amenity Dream offer their own events, but remember that they will not have any English product. In my experience, the two TOs I linked always have English and the stores never do.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 am
Profile E-mail

Post Rise of the Eldrazi Tournament Report
I had an interesting time yesterday, although the TOs had nothing planned between the start of the event and the second flight at 3. Even the gunslinging didn't start til after 3, so those of us working in the morning were screwed. In the end I got 2 rounds in before deciding to head home at 6. Considering there were no English boosters for the second flight, I am strongly considering going to a 1pm event at a store, which is likely to have better prize support, for the next PR.
Enough of the *****ing...how is the set? The set is awesome, and I think the limited environment in particular is fascinating. A lot of the themes force you to construct your decks differently and care about different things, and EVERYONE needs tons of mana - even the weenie aggro decks need to hit all of their land drops, and a cycle of weenie creatures with activated abilities that cost EIGHT MANA are often essential to a weenie alpha strike. And Defender really does matter - you could easily find yourself choosing a wall over a non-wall with comparable stats for a variety of reasons. And then there are the Eldrazi...
I opened what may be one of the best sealed pools of my life, with KBot (yes, 10 mana is VERY aggressively costed in this format), It That Betrays (which was kind of the theme to the day) and a ****ton of removal (doubles of Heat Ray, Vendetta and Erratic Explosion, which is fantastic with a deck full of Eldrazi!). I also had strong blue, decent green, a large white pool that couldn't make up its mind whether to be aggro or defensive, and 2 Skittering Invasions to help me accelerate.
I may have made a mistake in not going blue , but I went RW defender splashing black for removal and stalling til the Eldrazi came on line. I had 8 non-Eldrazi creatures, 6 of whom had defender, a 2/4 flier and the red 3/3 that makes Eldrazi drones. Then the top of my curve was 6, 7, 7, 9, 10, 12, all colorless.
First round, opening hand I got Kbot, skittering invasion, It that Betrays, a cheap wall and 3 land on the play...ordinarily a mulligan, and i realized at the time that a new hand was called for, but I just couldn't resist the opportunity to live the dream. Lesson number one: a bad hand is still a bad hand at a pre-release! My BU opponent had a very strong leveling deck, which created a lot of really tough choices - do you use removal on the guy when he's lvl 0, or wear it until he gets to his top level and see if they play something better? Mistakes were made. Still, I was defending well when I hit 7 mana and played skittering invasion - next turn a choice between Kbot and ITB, right? No, denied, hard counter, game over shortly thereafter.
In the second game I held the ground but he had a flying hill giant and then he had the timewalk guy, perfectly timed once I had run out of removal. By the time I drew a shock, it wasn't enough; as it turns out, that guy is surprisingly easy to level! I had ITB in hand for quite a while and got to at least 10 mana when he started taking extra turns, and was able to spend 8 mana to give all his dudes flying. Sigh. 0-2
Before the second round, I decided that big is better than huge [lesson number two], and replaced ITB with an Ulamog's crusher, which i would have been able to play in both previous games. Having learned that flying is the most/only reliable way to an aggro victory, I resolved to save more removal for fliers [lesson number three], and replaced a shock with a second vendetta - only wimps fear life loss! The next two games were much better. No god-draw, but Kbot hit the table in game one, leading to a scoop. In game two, Ulamog's crusher swung twice before he was able to Heat Ray the 8/8 (remember, even the aggro decks wanna hit their mana!), but by that time he had nothing left and was topdecking, while i had three walls, including the red one that does 1 damage for each wall you control. Defender deck wins! 2-0
1-1, quarter past 6, time to head home, but there's a lull in the gunslinging so I decide on one quick game of Pack Wars against Shuhei Nakamura (helluva nice guy). I played Ulamog's Crusher on turn 7 and swing once before he plays It That Betrays! What, the same card that cost me my first match? Yes, so we got into a rare Eldrazi facedown, counter-annihilation and whatnot, but obviously the big guy had the advantage. Once he forces me to sac stuff, he had fuel for my annihilate 2 and didn't really suffer. I got to 8 mana with one of those weenies (Lavafume Invoker, I think Invoker is the name of the cycle), so when he held back to block (the Crusher must attack each turn remember, which makes the decision-making easier), I swung in and pumped Ulamog's crusher to enough to trade with ITB, but he had Might of the Masses for +1/+1 to save the day. Perhaps the key lesson of this encounter was that Annihilate is often less good than plain old trample. I was able to survive for at least 5 turns, chumping, saccing lands and giving them to him, before ITB crushed me. I was casting weenies all the while, and if he'd stopped drawing action for even one turn I think I could have taken him.
In the end, I will always remember that as The Day I Was Betrayed By It That Betrays. Hope that's helpful to anyone doing a PR today or a release even next weekend.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 am
Profile E-mail

---------
I did 2 tournaments.
First pool: "Rise of the ...WHAT??" NO Eldrazi at all.
So I went for the level-up beat down, and had a lot of fun with Beastbreaker + Spider Umbra.
Second pool: U/W level-up. The Transcendent Master is amazing, and gets to 9/9 very fast. I found in the end I had too many white level-uppers (6) and so couldn't necessarily make them all work, but having 3 Frostwind Invokers helped a lot. Went 2-2, after Hedinn smashed me with RG. The 1/5 reach spider for 3 mana is soooooo handy.
S ;)

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]