It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:49 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Pentacle 

Post Re: Pentacle
brian didnt build anything, he said he was going to cob something together out of his blue edh deck.

we still need a red deck... Peter???

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Rules
what is our stance on cards that don't harm a person for playing a particular color but only help you?
just a few examples off the top of my head...
Lifetap
Carpet of Flowers
Lifeblood
Roots of Life
Seedtime
Warmth

What about Angry Mob?

What about Trap cards like Nemesis Trap?

Obviously certain cards are better in a format where you know people will be playing mono color decks and you know what colors your opponents will be...discuss?

Also what about Mindslaver? My old multiplayer groups always banned this . If it's not banned I will play it and recur it as many times as I can! It's DUMB.

I dont think win the game cards matter right? I mean even if you have 10 counters on chance encouter you can't win right? It not game until someone has no enemies left right?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:21 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Rules
SPARTACVS wrote:
Also what about Mindslaver? My old multiplayer groups always banned this . If it's not banned I will play it and recur it as many times as I can!

Douchebaggery doesn't have to be a binary condition - by which I mean that you are the most passionate opponent of 'douchebaggery' in EDH that I know, but you seem to strive for douchebaggery in every other element of your play. I respect the fact that you want to win (we all do), but please understand that the majority of players in casual formats would see how abusable Mindslaver is but still not try to abuse it, because they don't want to be a douchebag generally. It's a small but potentially important philosophical point.
The banned list could most simply be handled by banning:
1: Cards that punish a particular color (the nature of the color pie is such that these will hit only your opponents). To my mind, a card like Carpet of Flowers or Warmth hurts the Blue and Red players, respectively, by giving the caster a massive advantage. As Magic is generally a zero-sum game, they can all be considered 'hosers.'
2: Cards that punish an opponent for playing monocolor (which covers such horrors as Iona as well as Wake of Destruction, although the person who plays the former should renounce the right to ***** about the latter , IMHO :) )
Doesn't that handle any of the questions that have been raised? I asked about the case of Nemesis Trap specifically on Wednesday, but every card in that cycle does, technically, punish the opponent color, if only by giving the caster an advantage in power:cost on the card (Nemesis Trap is too much àt 4BB, but is sex on toast at BB), so would be prohibited under #1.
I hate to say it, but this interpretation of the format would also prohibit Fear and Intimidate, I suppose. Thoughts?
I think that the ties should be broken by who dealt the killing blow. For example, if Black kills Green and Red kills Blue, then White dies, the game is a tie. This may not be satisfying for some; I suggest that whoever dealt the killing blow to White should be called the only winner.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:19 pm
Profile E-mail

2: Cards that punish an opponent for playing monocolor (which covers such horrors as Iona as well as Wake of Destruction, although the person who plays the former should renounce the right to ***** about the latter , IMHO )

I said they are both bad! I did not say one was ok and then ***** about the other. They are both mono hosers that stop your opponents from playing spells.

I Love EDH! my goal of the pentacle game was to get people wanting to play edh again instead of something else. I am not a DB in EDH. I am a DB outside of EDH. I came trying to play unfair last wednesday and it showed.

I will play pentacle as DB as I am able because it is not EDH.

My EDH is good, duh! Because I spent a lot of time working and tweaking on it. It is however a RED ZONE deck with no infinite combos or ANY spell that stops my opponent from playing the game. Also while not DB sweepers are frowned upon in Large quantities and I only play 5: Planar Cleansing, Rout, O-Stone, Hallowed Burial, and Akroma's Vengeance.

I fail to see how Fear or Intimidate are color hosers... They are just evasion.

More Q's

Is Prismatic Strands an ok exception? it's like a white moments peace not really a problem imo.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:17 am
Profile E-mail

If Pentacle is to continue at Shakeys, let's say:
A) No "Choose a colour" cards
B) No cards which have or grant protection from either/both of your enemies' colours.
C) No land hosing of any one type
D) No Douchebaggery of any type. Although I had a lot of fun on Wed, I didn't have as much as I could have because not everyone was having fun...

Fear/intimidate I believe are ok, as they are just evasion abilities, like flying and unblockability. Remember, we can all use artifact creatures!!

I encourage each player to make different colour decks too.

This is the purest from of MtG; Garfield conceived the star with its enemy/ally points as the basis. Let's enjoy the format...

S :mrgreen:
I'll do green again next week, unless you want to switch straight away.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:20 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
SPARTACVS wrote:
...I am not a DB in EDH. I am a DB outside of EDH. I came trying to play unfair last wednesday and it showed. I will play pentacle as DB as I am able because it is not EDH.

That's my point exactly. I am not a douchebag, and I try to build decks that respect that fact...not being a douchebag is more important than winning in the mind of the casual player.

Stephen's rules sound fine, although you'll need a new black mage this week...i won't be able to make it. Have fun!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:00 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2