It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:39 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Ongoing game world? 

Post Ongoing game world?
Some time ago, John was talking about the possibility of a sort of "sandbox" game world in which one-off and similar games could be set. I'm thinking about starting an ongoing generic fantasy game to be run on game days. What I had in mind is stand-alone scenarios using the Swords & Wizardry rules (with personal tweaks to make it a bit closer to the old Red Box D&D). No ongoing commitment would be necessary for anyone, and I would just announce if I had a scenario ready for a game day and ask for interested people to bring a character - or make one on the day, since making one takes about 5 minutes!

My current scenario isn't explicitly set in any setting, but if people were interested in participating on both sides of the equation (both as players and as DMs in a sandbox-type world) then I would maybe try to pick a location in the generic world John has a website/blog for.

So, is anyone interested in (occasionally) participating in something like this?

Sat May 02, 2009 5:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Ongoing game world?

I have some more hex map goodness I've been fiddling with and not posting to the blog,, a collection of pdfs for swords and wizardry adding various optional things (like a couple of different takes on thief classes and bards) and a few smallish dungeons. I've also thought out a few scenarios / situations that are all loosely linked.

I routinely have a few hours a week stuck in the office with no real work to do, beyond waiting for people to come to me with grammar questions. We also have a cabinet full of graph paper.

Mon May 04, 2009 11:18 am
Profile E-mail WWW

OK, sounds like at least one other person is interested, if only a little <g>

Seriously, why not post the link to your blog here and we'll start discussing details.

Mon May 04, 2009 2:47 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

I definitely think it sounds interesting and one-off games sounds like a good idea since it's usually difficult to commit to a long ongoing campaign.

Go for it! :D

Tue May 05, 2009 9:17 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
The blog is . I haven't updated it in a bit, and some of the stuff for the setting assumes you'd be using some version of BRP/Stormbringer/Runequest. But the maps and most of the fantasy world stuff is pretty standard, and thus adaptable to most anything. The world map is at a big enough scale that almost any area can be tweaked and refined. The Judges Guild Wilderlands maps are much smaller, about the size of the map for the area around Freeport. At least I think so.

Anyway, we certainly don't have to use any of it, but it's there.

Cheers,
John

Thu May 07, 2009 4:07 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]