It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Monthly gameday at Castle Tintagel (Mejiro) 

Post Re: Monthly gameday at Castle Tintagel (Mejiro)
Just out of curiosity but is this open to anyone? I found out about this group from BGG and am relatively new to gaming myself but have taken VERY strongly to the hobby! As I mentioned in a previous post I live in Yokohama but am somewhat familiar with Tokyo. I know how to get to the station but from there, I am lost. I saw that map on the Castle's website but I'm not sure that will suffice for me! Does anyone have any better directions? I'm still trying to see if I can get out of work that day and am really hoping to attend (as long as there are no objections!).

Mike

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:58 pm
Profile E-mail

Better directions can be found on the , below the map (I have no idea why that isn't linked in the English pages). Somewhat counterintuitively, it starts with one looking at the exit of the JR station (and not from it, as one expects), but is quite easy to follow thereafter.

As for your other question, it's open to everybody, as long as they have ¥500 to spare. :)

EDIT: Translations might come in handy - I don't know how good you are at Japanese, so just in case:

First we cross (at) the semaphore
After this, straight
And then...
The first landmark, Family Mart
Here enter the alley
Afterwards,
Just straight!!
Second landmark: elementary school
Once you've come this far, a bit more.
Welcome to the Middle Ages.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:10 pm
Profile E-mail

A short summary of July 25's game-day, courtesy of Andrew:

Arkham Horror - Me, Goran, Nigel, Paul(?) and Ron from Yokosuka
against Shub-Niggurath the black she-goat with a thousand young. We
had to deal with two rumours in quick succession but the Mythos was
pretty kind to us and the Elder Signs popped out pretty quickly, so we
managed to avoid meeting her iaaaaa!ness.

Ticket to Ride - Paul and Yuko and some others?

Race For The Galaxy - I think I'm starting to understand this.

High Society - A simple but subtle auction game. The deck rewarded
early aggression both times, with wins for Nigel and Paul, I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next game-day will be on Sunday August 29.

cheers,
Nick

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:50 pm
Profile E-mail

I'll definitely be showing up on August 29th. I have a question: do the members discuss what games are going to be brought or do people just bring a few games and everyone decides from there? I'm just wondering if I should bring something or request something from a list; I'll do whatever, I know I'm a newbie! Regardless, I'm really looking forward to meeting everybody and enjoying some good games.

Mike

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:27 pm
Profile E-mail

Waaaah, I can't come :(

Yeah, of course you can discuss it. The fact that we usually don't should not stop anyone. In particular, if there is a game that you really wish to play (as opposed to, I'll bring it and see how it goes), and it's long or has convoluted rules, it's good to send out a notice beforehand (to gather the players at the same time, or to make them read the rules, respectively).

Have fun, guys... I'm working :(

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile E-mail

Hello Everyone!
I will come to see everyone, unless divine destiny prevents me. I'll bring a couple of games too! Will be happy to meet you all.

Brett

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:23 pm
Profile E-mail

This Sunday September 26 Andrew, Goran, Nick, Nigel and Rick met at Castle Tintagel for boardgame day.

We played two new games, which explains why the going was rather slow as we were figuring out rules and strategies.
The very first game was, actually, a card game (Arcana). Arcana is essentially a resource management game with some bluffing involved. Can you feel my lack-lustre response to cardgames in general from this rather generic description? Yet, I quite enjoyed Arcana. It has a nice pace, it is fairly easy on the brain as the random draws seem to preclude much strategizing. Overall, an easy start of a game-day. I believe Andrew was ahead in this game, but we stopped before the official end.

Next, we played Age of Steam, a railroad building game and the successor to Railroad tycoon. I never liked Railroad tycoon, it somehow seemed a poorly thought-out system. Age of Steam improves on the things I never liked in its predecessor and is quite an enjoyable game. Again, we did not play this game to its official conclusion (but came very far). I believe Nigel and Goran tied for the high score.

So, a good game day in all, although we could do with more wargames! :)

Games we played:
Arcana:
Age of Steam:

See you next gameday, Sunday October 31 (last Sunday of the month),

Nick S

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:06 pm
Profile E-mail

Last Sunday November 28 2010, another gameday was held at Castle Tintagel in Mejiro.

Participants: Andrew, Dave, Goran, Nigel, Nick S, Paul, Seiya & 3 friends, Wake & companion, Yoko

We played the following games:

Agricola
winner: Nigel

Battlestar Galactica
winner: Paul (as cylon leader!)

Arkham horror
winner: aborted but likely Nyarlathotep

Ascension
winner: ?

Next gameday has not been decided yet. Since the holiday season is upon us, we may deviate from the regular last Sunday of the month. Keep an eye out!

Nick S

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Me and my wife are visiting Tokyo from the middle of December to the middle of February and would love to visit your gaming group whilst we are in Tokyo.

We aren't fussy gamers, we mainly play Eurogames but will try anything once. We love Settlers, Dominion, Le Havre, Kingsburg etc.

Would it be okay to visit your group?

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:21 am
Profile E-mail

---------
By all means, do visit! The next Tintagel Game Day is supposed to take place on Jan 30, 11-18h. I wrote out the directions in this thread in the Jul 21, 2010 message.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next