It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:59 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mono-Blue Rayne, Academy Chancellor EDH 

Post Mono-Blue Rayne, Academy Chancellor EDH

Sponsored Links

So I have started on retooling my old Intet deck into a mono-blue deck, so that we can have a mono-colored deck of each color in our group! Here is what I have so far:

General:
00 Rayne, Academy Chancellor

<=3CC
01 Muddle the Mixture
02 Spreading Seas
03 Proteus Staff
04 Hinder
05 Willbender
06 Staff of Domination
07 Tsabo's Web
08 Alexi's Cloak
09 Fabricate
10 Trinket Mage
11 Drift of Phantasms
12 Sculpting Steel
13 Kira, Great Glass Spinner
14 Relic of Progenitus
15 Vedalken Shackles
16 Sensei's Divining Top
17 False Demise
18 Vanishing
19 Pithing Needle
20 Expedition Map
21 Armillary Sphere
22 Gilded Drake
23 Deep Sea Kraken
24 Sol Ring
25 Journeyer's Kite

4CC
26 Deflection
27 Vedalkin Orrerey
28 Sakashima the Imposter
29 Muse Vessel
30 Rite of Replication
31 Voidmage Husher

5CC
32 Mind's Eye
33 Desertion
34 Gauntlet of Power
35 Treachery
36 Vesuvan Shapeshifter
37 Bribery
38 Body Double
39 Acquire
40 Spin into Myth
41 Teferi
42 Magus of the Future
43 Ixidron
44 Future Sight

6CC
45 Capsize
46 Duplicant
47 Spelljack
48 Thought Reflection
49 Time Stop
50 Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar
51 Roil Elemental
52 Gather Specimens
53 Confiscate
54 Keiga, the Tide Star
55 Draining Whelk

>=7CC
56 Menmarch
57 Kederekt Leviathan
58 Decree of Silence
59 Akroma's Memorial
60 Time Stretch
61 Knowledge Exploitation
62 Commandeer
63 Blatant Thievery
64 Take Possession
65 Lorthose, the tidemaker
66 Inkwell Leviathan

Nonbasics:
67 Reliquary Tower
68 Vesuva
69 Dust Bowl
70 Academy Ruins
71 Magosi, the Water Veil
72 Tolaria West
73 Thawing Glaciers
Islands
(Note that I consider cheap cards that net me a land like Expedition Map and Armillary Sphere as lands)

So the idea is similar to my Reki deck; play a cheap general that can generate lots of card advantage if left unchecked, and run lots of big, must-answer threats. There are a number of cards that I am going to look for, so I need some help in deciding what I should cut from the list above.

Here's what I am aiming to get eventually:
Alexi's Cloak
Vedalken Shackles
Back to Basics
Kederekt Leviathan
Misdirection
Time Stop
Overwhelming Intellect

(by the way, if anybody has the above cards I am always willing to trade!)

Last edited by on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:28 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Mono-Blue Rayne, Academy Chancellor EDH
Wait, mono-colored deck for each color?
I know the ones for Black, White, Green and now Blue, but who's got Red? (or does 99 mountain Ashling count for that one?)

Sponsored links

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:36 pm

Plus my colorless!

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:28 am
Profile E-mail

I guess you can say that Ashling is the mono-red representation. But really, at the rate we're going, it won't be long until somebody decides to build a mono-red deck... And lord knows there's a fair share of good mono-red generals (even if the card selection isn't as hot).

Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:19 am
Profile E-mail

I've got one of each - I remember my red Akroma Insurrected a boatload of your green legends at one time. I guess it tells you how little I play that i still remember that game vividly (or maybe just the annoyance of Jeff's Uba Mask). Anyway, my mountain collection will be available if anyone wants to do pentagram EDH over the holidays.

And Rayne is pretty awesome...for some reason i always thought she had to be enchanted to get any effect. You don't want to look at a heavier aura theme? How about FOOL'S Demise, Pemmin's Aura, Diplomatic Immunity or something that made her unblockable or turned her into a Tim?

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:07 pm
Profile E-mail

Well, the auras are nice, but I don't want to make the mistake I made with my original build of my green EDH deck, and make it all about the general. Putting in auras that are universally useful that can have powerful effects in a variety of situations is best, I think.

OUT:
Discombobulate - Weakest counterspell, I will probably have Top out or have enough card advantage without it that its not really necessary.

Meddle - Too narrow

Hinder - Another fairly weak counterspell; the drawing a card part is only relevant if I am hurting for card advantage, a situation I don't want to be in in the first place.

Fathom Trawl - The deck is pretty land-light as it is, I would actually prefer some CA that nets me at least one land. Maybe in a world where never missing a land drop is easy I could add it back, but for now its out.

Argivian Restoration - Right now it seems a bit narrow - I don't have enough artifacts that see the graveyard to reliably be able to use it whenever I see it (top is neigh-unkillable, relic RFGs its self)

Scrivener - Why pay five mana to get a single spell when I can pay the same amount for a Magus of the Future and get silly amounts of extra cards?

Library of Leng - Expedition map and reliquary tower says hi.

Mind control - Weakest steal effect there is

Dominating Licid - Though strong, there are better options, and I probably have too many control effects anyway.

Govern the Guildless - Six mana to steal a creature is pretty lackluster. Too many steal effects.

Brine Elemental - Though its a small chance, I don't want to trip into a pickles lock because that's unfun for everybody. Plus its much easier to cut him than listen to Sean ***** about this card whenever he sees play.

Mages Guile - Misread; thought it was an aura. oops!

Some islands - My land count is low enough, most of the islands were replaced with other mana-producing lands, or land-like effects (armillary sphere, expedition map, ect)

IN:

Vanishing - Great! If this resolves then I can make my general almost unkillable. It also serves as frustrating general removal if it lands on a general too, since, given enough mana, it is impossible to remove.

Magosi - Works well so far, I was able to get a turn-one magosi last Wed. (about as good as it gets). It is really fun being able to skip a turn early on when nobody's doing anything but setting up, and then have the option of interjecting my turn between two other peoples' turns later on.

Deep-sea kraken - Obvious beater. He has worked well in other peoples' decks whenever I see him, so why not here as well.

Spin into myth - Great removal, not much more need be said.

Teferi - Haven't drawn him yet, but he's in.

Rite of Replication - The ability to use its kicker can make it devastating.

Magus of the Future - MVP of last game Wed. I had so much CA because he was unanswered.

Academy Ruins - Better than Argivian Restoration because it doesn't take a spell slot, is reusable.

Flight of Fancy - Looks like a solid aura to put on Rayne, with vanishing she becomes a great chump blocker too.

Ixidron - Don't have many sweeper effects, this is sometimes worse than a wrath.

Pithing Needle - Might as well join the cool crowd. Besides, it's tutorable with trinket mage.

Voidmage Husher - Re-usable effect that can muck up activated abilities sounds good. Especially when those activated abilities require a sacrifice!

Expedition map - Better than an island almost 100% of the time, since it can be considered a land in any keepable hand with two lands. Goes great with Academy Ruins

Fool's Demise - Another good aura for my general. A bit expensive, though, I might put it on the block if it doesn't pay out

Armillary Sphere - See expedition map.

Gilded Drake - The cheapest control magic effect there is, demands to be targeted before the sweap is made.

High-priority ins (but I don't have 'em yet):

Vedalkin Shackles - So much better than my other options for creature theft, as it doesn't die from a missed target.

Kederekt Leviathan - Its a sweeper effect in a deck with very few of them. And it can hit twice. Plus the deck needs more direct threats.

Time Stop - Its a great counterspell with lots of utility

Overwhelming intellect - Six mana counterspell. Can get me lots of cards.

Back to Basics - Most land-based strategies would go away until this is dealt with.

On the chopping block:

Bosium Strip - This card is pretty useless if I dont get a relic out, or if I already popped the relic. Without any way of manipulating my graveyard, it becomes a real pain in the *** to watch what enters my graveyard with each play. I might keep it if it proves its usefulness in later games, but that first time I had it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Twincast - Its a really fun card in theory, but I still haven't found any situations where it would be better than, say, one of the six-mana counterspells that I still don't have (time stop, overwhelming intellect)

Deflection - If I can score a misdirection I see this as a direct upgrade. I still like having one target changing effect that doesn't announce its self like Willbender does, either way.

Dismal Failure - While it is incredibly fun and a real punch in the balls, I would rather have a six mana counterspell

Can anybody suggest two more cuts?

Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:49 am
Profile E-mail

by Hinder did you mean Dismiss?

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:23 am
Profile E-mail

also Brian, would you please edit your first post to reflect the deck's current state?
Also please group them in someway(I prefer cc) so that we can make more a meaningful analysis and thus better suggestions, feedback, etc.

oh, and props for cutting "Brian" Elemental :P

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:29 am
Profile E-mail

Updated, probably going to get a sol ring for this when I do my online order (found one for $11!).

Any suggestions for cards that can make my lands more consistent? Though I have to say that having multiple ways of getting an expedition map->academy ruins might be all I need.

Edit - Found some cards at the card shop today:

IN: Future Sight - Since Magus of the Future worked so well, I figure having more chances to get that effect can't hurt.

OUT: Bosium Strip. Weakest link in terms of Card Advantage

IN: Tsabo's Web - Figured I would save myself ten bucks and just get this instead. It misses a few problem lands that Back to Basics would hit (such as Cabal Coffers), but it also doesn't hose people's mana fixing lands (so they aren't mana screwed and hate me for it), its has more synergy with my deck, and its an all around stronger card at a relatively small cost.

OUT: Fool's Demise. The higher casting cost for a sorcery speed speed protection spell (or bad theft spell) isn't very attractive. If I find my general getting killed more than I would like, I might revisit this card, but for now its on the bench.

IN: Though Reflection - After seeing Tomorrow hit the board a few times, I have learned that any effect that modifies how I draw can be incredibly powerful in combination with my general's ability. This is a great CA engine.

OUT: Arcanis, the Omnipotent. The ability to save him is nice, but he's just way too mana intensive to be worth it (10 mana if I want to play him and be able to save him before I untap). I would rather opt for the lower risk, but slightly lower reward Thought Reflection.

IN: Muse Vessel - Thought I would give it a try, it seems good. It negates any positive effect discarding might have (against reanimation, for example), and I get an added perk of being able to steal their lands and artifacts if they choose to discard those. For a small investment every turn, I can whittle down my opponents' hands and sometimes get a card as a result. Sounds worth it.

OUT: Sower of Temptation. I think I still have too many control magic effects, and so its starting to come down to the few permanent-based effects I have left. Between this and Control Magic, I think this is the weaker.

Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:44 am
Profile E-mail

---------
you need two more islands

Cut Guile and Planar Portal

You're counters already steal the spells or something else ridiculous and you dont run very many anyway

Planar Portal is a HUGE commitment of resources and until you can use it more than once it would be better to have just drawn a threat

also I strongly reccomend trying out Vedalken Æthermage you have great targets for it like Magus of the Future and Teferi and even Husher(I'd cut V orrey for it, you run many instants and teferi makes your creatures instant as well but i know you love the card and that's ok too. You should play cards that are fun for you.)

I think journeyer's kite deserves a spot (over acquire perhaps?) and Terrain Generator seems good with 20+ basics(you can get it cheap in the Jace vs Chandra singles)

33 lands that fetch/make mana is something you want to hold yourself to
even with map and A sphere, you can be results oriented about this if you like but the math is there anyhow, 1/3 of the deck as mana is what you need to get your other land search and drawing going i.e. keep a two land hand and draw a land w/in 3 turns. that's still only 33.3% land compared to the 40% 24 lands in 60 card decks

Sponsored links

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next