It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:10 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 March Board game day 

Post March Board game day
Hi all,

Just wondering if we can plan the next board game day at Castle Tintagel. I had a great time play Red Alert and would be interested in playing it again. I was the engineer for a couple of games and the captain kept yelling at me "Damn it Scotty we need more power!!!" I saw other games I would like to play: Lord of the Rings Boardgame, a japanese samurai game , etc..

Jeff

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:37 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: March Board game day
Hey there Engineer Jeff!

Yeah, Space Alert was a blast and I think we did surprisingly well considering we were a first time crew. But there's always need for more power!!

I guess Jay has to chime in to let us know when the game day will be but I think it's a good idea to start thinking about what games to play. Maybe making a loose scheadule wouldn't be out of place.

I will definitely be bringing my recently acquired Dune. The play time can wary between 30 minutes and 6 hours, but it seems like it's usually around three hours. It's a six player game and from what I've heard you really need five or six players to get the best experience. It's a game with a lot of player interaction; bribes, alliances and backstabbing galore!

That was my War of the Ring you saw there, but since it's (mostly) a two player game and it eats both time and space I might leave it at home. You can play as teams of two which I also think is quite fun, but I'll hold off on it unless some more people scream out for some WotR action.

Unless Goran decides to bring his copy I'll probably bring Battlestar Galactica. It's also a rather longish game (damn! I need smaller shorter games as fillers!) but seems like great fun!

I've been thinking of bringing Arkham Horror (+Dunwhich Horror expansion) some day as I know Jay wants to play it, but I think it'd be best to to get a few people committed to that beforehand.

That's my plan I guess...

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:29 pm
Profile E-mail

Martin, I'd love to play either Dune or Arkham. I've been thinking about buying Arkham, but I want a chance to play it before I commit the money and storage space.

John

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:56 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

cosimoilvecchio wrote:
Martin, I'd love to play either Dune or Arkham. I've been thinking about buying Arkham, but I want a chance to play it before I commit the money and storage space.

Hehe! Yeah, storage space in Japan can be kind of tight. :mrgreen:

Well, maybe I'll bring Arkham instead of BSG then. Speaking of which, they've just announced the expansion. Wee!

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Martin wrote:
Yeah, Space Alert was a blast

Martin wrote:
I will definitely be bringing my recently acquired Dune.

Martin wrote:
Unless Goran decides to bring his copy I'll probably bring Battlestar Galactica.

I will definitely be bringing Space Alert, since it is a) a blast, and b) short and thus flexible.

I do want to play BSG again. The problem is, as always, Time. but sure, I can bring it. :)

Dune... I haven't played it in a while, would be fun to do it again, I think. Don't know how good it would be on a game day, but would be happy to try. However, it's one of those games for which you want all the players to read the rules in advance. They're not terribly long or very complex, but I found I couldn't really explain everything in anything less than an hour. Also, agree on optional rules beforehand, so people can read up.

You do understand there's no way to squeeze BSG, Dune and SA in the same day, don't you :)

Martin wrote:
That was my War of the Ring you saw there, but since it's (mostly) a two player game and it eats both time and space I might leave it at home. You can play as teams of two which I also think is quite fun, but I'll hold off on it unless some more people scream out for some WotR action.

I played it once with 4, wasn't really fun. My partner and me had differing concepts of strategy, for one. Also, too easy becomes two-corpse-bridge (if one player is more dominant in the teams). It's a really good 4+-hour two-player big-table game, but you really need all of those (2 players, big table, lots of time).

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

---------
Quote:
However, it's one of those games for which you want all the players to read the rules in advance. They're not terribly long or very complex, but I found I couldn't really explain everything in anything less than an hour.

Really? When I read them I thought that should go by quickly. But then again, thinking about them now, maybe not. Oh well, lets give it a try. :)
As long as everyone gets into the backstabbing mindset I'm sure we'll have fun.

As for playing all the games on one day (including Arkham Horror!), yes it's unfortunately impossible. But it's always better to bring too many games than to few so we can pick and choose. :P

I liked WotR on four, but I think it depends very much on the group and it might be better suited to people who know eachother well.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:36 am
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]