It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Looking for Magic Players in Tokyo 

Post Looking for Magic Players in Tokyo
Hello,

I'm currently visiting tokyo and I actually depart on Monday to return to the United States. I am an avid magic player, and would like to find a location(s) in tokyo where Japanese or other players gather to play, test, draft, discuss etc.

I have no real language skill, but i'm not too concerned, as I simply desire to visit the locations and perhaps purchase cards and/or draft a bit.

I've been searching via google and have been unable to really find anything of any real help besides this group!

Anything would be appreciated!

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:07 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Looking for Magic Players in Tokyo
Did you try the Wizards event locator?

If you read other posts in this forum they talk about gatherings. There's FNM on Fridays and a pre-release on Saturday.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:52 am
Profile E-mail

Tokyo is full of shops that offer the usual random playing as well as FNM and regular tournaments; so full in fact that it would probably be easiest to narrow the choice down depending on your area. Also, you happen to be in luck with the Zendikar prereleases happening this weekend - check this thread for where the English-speaking players are most likely to flock to!
You can always find most shops via Wizard's tournament locator, but it changes language based on the area so you are pretty much screwed if you can't handle Japanese. If you just want to visit random shops, there's decent ones in Shinjuku and Akihabara - if you'd like to check them out (they have FNM, too) I'm sure someone here can provide you with directions.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:12 am
Profile E-mail

I'd love to check out the shops where players gather and play. Any that are of any notoriety or decent size?

I'm in ota-ka (yukigaya-otsuka is my station) but I can access the JR Yamonote Line via Gotanda station easily. Indeed, the tournament locator doesn't help due to my inability to read hiragana/katakana or kanji.

Any stores anyone knows of would be fantastic.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:11 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
The store I visited the most is Hobby Station in Akihabara. It's a rather large store on several floors, one of them a dedicated playing area. They also sell single cards in all varieties.

It is, however, somewhat tricky to find if you can't read the Katakana sign; coming from the JR Akihabara station Electric Town exit, walk down the station square in the direction of the main street. You'll see a crossing, right under the railroad tracks. It's the one with the countdown traffic light. Across the street, there is a big, red SEGA house. Now, between the bridge and that house, there is a small street. Enter there and walk down about 10-20m until you see a large, sky-blue sign with white lettering. They may have alphabet, too, I can't remember... Anyway, it's a rather inconspicuous building (as those shops tend to be in) and it's, I think, 4th and 5th floor. If you politely ask someone for "Hobby Station", they might be able to direct you.

Sorry for the confusion but that's just what you have to deal with in Tokyo. Even the most exposed shops can be missed quite easily in the jungle of concrete and neon. Oh and by the way, most Japanese shops do NOT allow trading of cards and will fine you if caught.

Have fun!

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:57 am
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]