It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:43 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Introduce yourself . . . 

Post Re: Introduce yourself . . .
LocoNeko wrote:
I love boardgames and wargames too, mainly the very complex ones with tons of book keeping and games spanning months, but I'd settle for more simple games like "Republic of Rome" for example :lol:

Anyone who thinks of RoR as an example of a 'more simple game' is my friend.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:29 am
Profile E-mail

Lajos wrote:
Anyone who thinks of RoR as an example of a 'more simple game' is my friend.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship :mrgreen: :geek:

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:53 am
Profile E-mail

Hi. I'm Goran, I come from Croatia, and I came to Japan about 3 months ago on a scholarship. No idea how long I'm staying, but I don't plan to become a permanent resident. (However, the best laid plans of mice and men...) Best guess (also known as "pessimistic guess"): 18 months.

I love gaming. I used to do some roleplaying when I was younger, but it didn't keep, mostly because in my circle of friends we couldn't organise worth a damn, and missing players in an ongoing campaign is a pain. Especially since we tended to get sidetracked a lot, so a simple one-session adventure usually dragged out to six sessions. We did have a lot of fun, though.

I originally entered role-playing with D&D (red box). Then I discovered AD&D 2nd Ed, and D&D was not interesting any more. Then I discovered Ars Magica, and horses couldn't drag me back to AD&D any more. I did have an excursion into Vampire and Mage, but even though I loved the setting, I hated the mechanics. I have no problem with vague systems like Fudge or Everway, but the WoD kind of vague bothered the hell out of me (dot powers, I'm looking at you!). Especially after knowing Ars Magica.

However, due to the abovementioned scheduling problems, and rules-lawyery players, I discovered my love of boardgames. It quickly turned into a collecting obsession, and then I had to abandon the lot when I came here :( But I met a lot of fun people with fun games, so it's just my addiction talking.

I'm a linguist/programmer, and I'm studying in a lab that focuses on natural language processing. No games designed so far, and no books on Amazon :D

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:29 pm
Profile E-mail

I've been into RPG since 1980 :ugeek: , I don't want to count the years... :oops: My first love is RuneQuest (the original Chaosium editions not the Avalon Hill rewrite tho their supplementals are VG). Also played a swag of others: Gurps, Rolemaster/MERP, Traveller, T-2300, CoC etc. I've played a lot of D&D 1st/2nd never played 3/3.5 have recently tried 4ed. Have to say no matter how many times you rewrite it levels/classes don't work for me :( . But as Martin said earlier...

Martin wrote:
...and I think any rpg can be enjoyable with the right people.
:mrgreen:

Haven't had much RPG time lately but I have been running a Middle-Earth campaign on and off for the last 4 years. 8-)

I have amassed over 3000 D&D minis but nobody here is keen on playing so they gather dust or only get used for RPing. :cry:

My wife and I have just over 50 board/card games here :ugeek: . As we have a large-ish house and a keen interest in cooking, we often host game days here in Osaka. People usually find it difficult to concentrate once dinner's been served though :twisted: :D

I'm also a sports nut and mad keen on cricket and rugby, my wife is tolerant of my interests 8-) . I have more PCs than I have limbs of this my wife is less tolerant. ;)

Oh and we're both kiwis.
Ryan

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Amadan wrote:
I'm a linguist/programmer, and I'm studying in a lab that focuses on natural language processing.

H'm, interesting. Let's meet some time, to talk about language, and games.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail

I've been in Japan for about 4 and 1/2 years. Been gaming for about 2 years. I like to play boardgames and miniature games. I especially like wargames either using a board or miniatures. Hex games rule.

I'm big into Car Wars right now (Mike Montessa did you write something for Car Wars a while back?). I only play on Vassal cause no one in Tokyo understands what a great game it is:)

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:02 pm
Profile E-mail

BigRyan wrote:
I've been into RPG since 1980 :ugeek: , I don't want to count the years... :oops: My first love is RuneQuest (the original Chaosium editions not the Avalon Hill rewrite tho their supplementals are VG). Also played a swag of others: Gurps, Rolemaster/MERP, Traveller, T-2300, CoC etc. I've played a lot of D&D 1st/2nd never played 3/3.5 have recently tried 4ed. Have to say no matter how many times you rewrite it levels/classes don't work for me :( . But as Martin said earlier...

Martin wrote:
...and I think any rpg can be enjoyable with the right people.
:mrgreen:

Haven't had much RPG time lately but I have been running a Middle-Earth campaign on and off for the last 4 years. 8-)

I have amassed over 3000 D&D minis but nobody here is keen on playing so they gather dust or only get used for RPing. :cry:

My wife and I have just over 50 board/card games here :ugeek: . As we have a large-ish house and a keen interest in cooking, we often host game days here in Osaka. People usually find it difficult to concentrate once dinner's been served though :twisted: :D

I'm also a sports nut and mad keen on cricket and rugby, my wife is tolerant of my interests 8-) . I have more PCs than I have limbs of this my wife is less tolerant. ;)

Oh and we're both kiwis.
Ryan

3000 D&D miniatures, holy crap! What brand of figs?

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:03 pm
Profile E-mail

MattV wrote:
3000 D&D miniatures, holy crap! What brand of figs?

D&D Miniatures from WOTC, I got carried away with having too much money and not enough brain. There's a large proportion of commons, I bought bulk loads of them on E-bay for less than (US)10c each for playing squad level wargames with my buddies back in NZ. I do have EVERY figure from the first 12 sets though. :ugeek:

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:10 am
Profile E-mail

Well, I got into rpgs back when Gary Gygax was still with TSR, White Dwarf was still a multi-system rpg magazine complete with Thrud and Gobbledegook cartoons, and you could still occasionally find the silver-cover printing of Chainmail in bookstores.

Not quite fossilized, but close...

I came to Japan originally in 1997, and have been back to live in my home countries a few times - born in Canada's northern tree-wastes, transplanted back and forth to the UK more or less randomly. Now I'm here to stay, according to She Who Must Be Obeyed <g>

Theoretically an anthropologist with an interest in Japan, I supplement the income from this admittedly lucrative trade by working as a language consultant in Tokyo.

I'm mainly interested in RPGs, with a leaning toward the RP part, though I've always loved simple wargames where the mechanics flow smoothly and the main focus is strategy and tactics. I'm heavily into SF, and can't get enough of games like Star Fleet Battles, though I occasionally find the rules distracting.

In my first forays to Japan I neglected my gaming, even though I was a regular reader/participator in JIGG, and hope to rectify the problem by getting a semi-organized network of gamers out here in the boonies of Saitama, Tochigi and Ibaraki going!

Kevyn

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:11 am
Profile E-mail

---------
Lajos wrote:
Amadan wrote:
I'm a linguist/programmer, and I'm studying in a lab that focuses on natural language processing.

H'm, interesting. Let's meet some time, to talk about language, and games.

Sorry, for not responding so far - forum, passive medium, all that :)

Sure, I'd love to.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next