It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Introduce yourself . . . 

Post Introduce yourself . . .
I think that every forum needs an introductory thread, so here is one.

I am an avid role-player, and I particularly enjoy the White Wolf Storyteller system, though I seem to prefer the older versions. In keeping with that, I prefer the older D&D versions, too. I play AD&D 2nd edition for choice.

My other interests include hanging out with my husband (when we often discuss gaming!) and playing with my children. I enjoy reading about the Middle Ages, and I also enjoy a great deal of fantasy reading, too. I write fantasy on occasion, and I have two completed novels knocking around amazon.com.

Now, it's time for the rest of you to introduce yourselves! :mrgreen:

Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:58 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Introduce yourself . . .
Great idea!

I've been in Japan for about 12 years now, am a permanent resident, and love RPing, especially White Wolf. I'm very excited about 2009, as we are starting Vampire: the Masquerade and Dark Ages: Inquisitor chronicles. When I'm playing, I'm expecting great things from my Storyteller. When I'm STing, I expect great things from my players. :D

My job is ideal, since I get paid to research and teach things I love, which include religion, mythology, the history of rock and roll, Rome, and the Middle Ages. Life is great, what with a beautiful, intelligent wife and five beautiful, intelligent daughters.

In my free time, I like hanging out with my family, which includes gaming and watching Shakespeare, reading and studying, music, and going for a drink with friends on Friday nights.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:05 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Good idea indeed!

I'm on my fourth year in Japan and I like to play... well, almost anything. I used to play a lot of rpgs but since it's become harder and harder to get all the players together for regular sessions I've been playing more board games.

My rpg favourites are Call of Cthulhu, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Dark Heresy (as well as some Swedish stuff that you've never heard of. Hehe!). But I'm not picky, and I think any rpg can be enjoyable with the right people. Fun fact: I've never played any kind of D&D...

As for board games I've always been drawn to ameritrash (the bitz! They are hypnotizing...) as a game's theme is usually the first thing to catch my interest rather than its mechanics.
Hmm... I started typing out a longish post about why I prefer a game with a strong theme to a game with a strong mechanic but I think I'll save that discussion for a later date in the board game forum. Hehe!

I enjoy some CCGs as well, but I don't have any cards with me here in Japan.

So... that's it for now I guess...

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:31 am
Profile E-mail

I've been living in Japan for about three and a half years. I came here because my wife studied Japanese in university and wanted to move here.

I'd stopped gaming in high school, and didn't get back into it until I moved here and stumbled across JIGG. I like boardgames, but not as much as wargaming or RPGs. I like Chaosium and the older (2nd edition and earlier) flavors of AD&D and D&D.

I'm a high school teacher for a private school in Tochigi. I've got no complaints about my job. Non gaming interests include photography, printmaking, and bicycles (although I haven't been riding very much for about a year or so).

John

Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:55 am
Profile E-mail WWW

I've been here for less than a year. I'm from the Netherlands. My being in Japan is the effect of an accepted marriage proposal a little more than a year ago. Now I'm living with my wife, who is unfortunately not a gamer, in Hachiouji-shi.

I'm a researcher at the philosophy department of Keio University. My research topic is the role of language in theoretical thought. (It's in between philosophy of language, philosophy of science, and history of ideas.) My main interests are language(s), philosophy, social science, music, board games, Siberia, Mongolia, and now also Japan.

My favorite kind of games are old style American games: long, complex, and deeply thematic. But I also enjoy American-Euro hybrids (Civ and 18xx games are probably the first examples of that genre). Besides playing games, I also like to design games. Some of my games can be downloaded from my website:

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:38 am
Profile E-mail

Martin wrote:
I used to play a lot of rpgs but since it's become harder and harder to get all the players together for regular sessions I've been playing more board games.

You are welcome to play with our regular Sunday gaming group. We both live in Saitama, so it shouldn't be too hard to get to our reliable and steady game. The offer is on the table...

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:14 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Lajos wrote:
Besides playing games, I also like to design games. Some of my games can be downloaded from my website:

Very impressive! How do you get those maps, etc. printed?

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:15 am
Profile E-mail WWW

nethrin wrote:
Very impressive! How do you get those maps, etc. printed?

If you have a color printer it's easy. For most maps I provide a PDF file with one section per A4 sheet. When I make a prototype myself, I print out everything on A4 adhesive label sheets and stick that to cardboard. You can find nice cardboard at Tokyu Hands and A4 adhesive label sheets almost anywhere. Of course, you'll have to combine the segments into a single map next, but that shouldn't be too complicated.
Alternatively, I can provide single sheet PDFs for large printers (for Caliphate, you can find the file at its BGG entry).

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:04 am
Profile E-mail

Martin wrote:
As for board games I've always been drawn to ameritrash (the bitz! They are hypnotizing...) as a game's theme is usually the first thing to catch my interest rather than its mechanics.

I agree with you about the latter, but not about the former. Theme is most important to me too, but I really dislike most modern Ameritrash. I find plastic cheap looking and incredibly ugly. Besides, much modern Ameritrash seems to be more about the components (plastic toys) than about theme and game play. I don't care much for the themes of most modern Ameritrash games either. Too much fantasy, too aggressive, too superficial.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:10 am
Profile E-mail

---------
My name is Guillaume, I'm french and been living in Japan for 12 years.

I was married to a Japanese but things didn't go well, so I'm now divorced and staying here for my son, who's 8.

I work as an IT consultant, but mostly from home at the moment since my company is in Hong Kong and only has a postal address in Japan, no office. This is a mixed blessing : lots of free time but very little structure. :mrgreen:

I have been very lazy in terms of gaming recently and haven't been playing anything apart from connect 4 with my little one :P

A roleplayer at heart, I've played mostly as a game master and lack a lot of experience as a player. On top of that, I was mostly mastering my own universe so I'm close to being a newbie about many well-know gaming universes (can "universe" even take an "s" ?)

I love boardgames and wargames too, mainly the very complex ones with tons of book keeping and games spanning months, but I'd settle for more simple games like "Republic of Rome" for example :lol:

I'm also looking for players willing to help me test a board game I designed, about life inside a controlled environment on Mars.

The bottom line is : I would basically play anything ! I'm very excited with this forum & would like to thank Martin for making it available.

Cheers,
Guillaume "LocoNeko".

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:20 am
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next