It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hows everyone doing and plans for the future 

Post Hows everyone doing and plans for the future
Hey everyone, its been awhile. How are you guys holding up? After returning stateside I got a little burned out on magic trying to qualify so took a little break, but am back in it full swing, and ready for extended. With that comes the reading of the forums and this being one of my favorite I couldn't pass up the chance to see how everyone was doing.

Also I'm looking at graduating here in a few months, and trying to get back to Japan to work. Preferably teaching but at this point I really don't care I just miss Japan. So if any of you have any tips as to how to find jobs in Japan from the states (I goofed and miss the JET aplplication deadline this year...) It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:38 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Hows everyone doing and plans for the future
Hey Dave, long time no see! I was thinking about you just the other day, wondering where you'd gone and hoping we could catch up some time.

Teaching and headhunting seem to be the two ways that foreigners can become semi-gainfully employed over here, but neither of them provides a career for the majority of people. I am certain that a company like Berlitz would snap you up in a second, even if the market has gone tits up, but their contracts are becoming more exploitative every year. Teaching at a high school or similar is definitely a step up from that, but I don't know how many schools offer full-time work.

If you want to come to Tokyo, I can definitely put you in touch with a Senmon Gakko that I part-timed at for several years...that isn't a recommendation, you understand, but sometimes you have to suck it up and work a couple of part-time gigs for a semester or two until something more rewarding comes along. I think a recommendation from me would definitely get you an interview if you wanted to start in April.

In my experience, a lot of the good jobs will come to you through contacts; my professor at Waseda recommended me for a part-time uni job, and i didn't even need to have a formal interview to get the job. Once there, i met people who were working full-time at other schools, and they offered me a part-time, and eventually a full-time job at their universities. Because I knew a key decision maker at each school, I only had to go through a single interview to get each job. On the other hand, I read the Japan Times every Monday for years and got more rejections than interviews.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:57 am
Profile E-mail

imagine the above scenario, only further complicated by a lack of a bachelors degree... *sigh*

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:17 pm

---------
Thanks alot I'm sure I'll be getting ahold of you more the more I start stressing out about where I wanna go with my life.

Other than that things are looking pretty good, I spent the whole summer building a cube and finally finished it and thanks to aaron its freakin amazing. Just finished an EDH deck today, well kindof I still need the general. Its RGB. I was going to run Kresh but there are two others in my play group that run him so I'm going for the significantly worse but much more legend...y... adun oakenshield. The only problem is ive been to like 8 stores in the last week and know one has him... bout to just buy them online.

PS if you havent tried it yet I strongly suggest buying and playing with all of the planechase cards when playing EDH. Its makes the games much more intense and for the most part levels the powerlevel quite a bit.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:56 am
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]