It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:09 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hello Magic Players 

Post Hello Magic Players
My main interest at the moment is magic so I'll put my first post here.

So, I like to play magic, but I don't have a lot of experience so I only play type 2 and limited. I've perused the board and I can't find much type 2 discussion outside of the mandatory talk about new sets.

I found two places that have regular tournaments hosted at them but I'm not sure what type of places they are (They show up on the wizards site as having events but no product).

These places are in Shinjuku where I work and will live but if there are other good places let me know.

The first place is called Yellow Submarine Power Arena and it has regular FNMs, release events, and other scattered tournaments.

The second place is called Amenity Dream which has a similar selection of events.

Does anybody go to either of these places?

I also read about Shakey's which seems interesting but Wed. might be hard to coordinate with work. (For that matter, FNMs will probably be tricky.)

Besides that I was looking for general advice on playing in Japan. Is there a list of Japanese magic vocab that would be useful? My Japanese is intermediate and even though I might not be able to read all the new cards I think if I have a basic magic vocabulary I can easily ask what the cards do.

That's all. I welcome any tips are advice you guys are willing to offer.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:13 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Hello Magic Players
Hi, and welcome to Japan. My name is Daryl.

This particular forum was started by the group that plays at SHakey's, so that's the best place for most of us (starting tomorrow, if you're in town...it's a public holiday, so we'll be starting early).

In my experience, AMenity Dream is generally the best of the game stores there, both for gaming space and card prices. PLaying with the Japanese usually requires bringing a pretty competitive standard deck, and it can be a bit hard to break thru the cliquishness.Still, I've had some fun with FNM here from time to time.

Most of us prefer a sort of anything-goes structure, including multiplayer games and access to older cards (most of my collection is 5-10 years old, for example). If you can actually get in to see us (and Takadanobaba is only two stops from Shinjuku!), you'll find us to be pretty obliging in terms of what kind of decks are played, moderating power levels where necessary and so on. I even have a couple of Standard or Block (Lorwyn only or Alara only) decks

If you absolutely can't make it to Shakey's, some of us get together intermittently - weekends and so on - so I'm sure we'll be able meet up with you somehow.

What's your story?

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Shakey's is a pizza place or something? Is it just an open space to play or was it meant for magic? I could probably be down for some magic tomorrow so I'll try to make it up there.

At stuff like FNMs and pre releases how is the language barrier. That's my biggest worry about venturing out. Even if my Japanese is passable, I don't want to inconvenience a lot of people.
This is of course a bigger problem at launches and prereleases where knowledge of the cards is limited.

I've played in mixed formats before and I generally enjoy myself even when power levels are off and what have you.

As for me, I graduated from university recently and came here to work. I interned here last summer as well so I'm not completely new to Japan. I like games.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:49 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Shakey's is a pizza place, but we've been playing there for like 6 years. They've got an all-you-can-eat deal usually on a public holiday, so if you swing by in the afternoon (check out the next thread for precise times - I'll try to be there around 4, or whenever my grading is done).

The language barrier isn't a big deal - if you know the cards and the combos, it's all pretty cool. If you wanna come to the prerelease this weekend, you can try it with a mix of new English and Jese cards.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]