It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Heavy Gear Blitz 

Post Re: Heavy Gear Blitz
Sadly, the northern are my favorites. When I first got interested in HG, I discovered that the yellow submarine in Shinjuku had a bunch of blister packs. I went nuts and bought all of them, and wound up with a general purpose Northern and Southern squad, with a few left over. I think I have a few more southern than northern mechs.

I love the boxy look of the northern gears. Sort of like an older Volvo, if it came with an autocannon.

Have you found a source for them in Tokyo, or did you order them online?

John

Fri May 29, 2009 9:14 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

Ah, haha! That's the same way I feel! A Volvo on legs... with an autocannon. Although I like the southern minis just fine as well, I prefer the northern boxy look.

I thought I'd check Yellow Submarine before ordering anything, but I've been there a bunch of times and I can't recall seeing any HG stuff (except for some cheap source books) so I'll probably just end up ordering from DP9. Making an order together, as suggested, would probably be a good idea. It'll have to wait a bit though, as I need to be a bit careful money wise this month. :P

Fri May 29, 2009 10:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Sadly I can't make it out today to the Saitama shindig. One of the JHS's I am a part of had half of their Sport's Day rained out and they will resume the other half a little later today :( What a STUPID system!
I was looking forward to seeing you guys!

I have decided to join all of you on June 6th, Yoyogi U. I can make a pitstop at my GF's while I am closer to her too.

The boxy look for the Northern Army does have its appeal actually. That was my first choice of army when I was getting into HG but somehow that Naga and Mamba have been in my mind. I also don't like the huge religious theme in the North either (Not that I really deeply care) ... eh ..
:|

You know, I was thinking about that "asteroid" scenario ... Actually, what if it wasn't an asteroid but it was a giant wormlike thing that eats space ships? :roll: If it wasn't an asteroid but a deserted space gate. The space gate is a HUGE ship that was part of the Earth's old expanding empire, but, that of course became obsolete when Earth fed upon itself. However, that doesn't stop some (Jovian ships + Mechs) from trying to retake back what is theirs rightfully from the beginning ... I imagine something would be occupying it. This is a possible scenario that has a space battle / rpg feel.

ANyways, I am off, there are kiddies to trip. Martin and John, what point value or how many suits would you be considering as part of your army, and would you be using civies n' trucks?

Sun May 31, 2009 8:26 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Hey there Brett! I can't make ut out today either but will be at Yoyogi next week.

The Naga is definitely a fine looking strider! And also, as far as I've understood, one of the few that's actually viable gameplay wise. I'm also considering making a Peace River force, but I still think I'll go with the North simply because PR doesn't have quite as wide a miniature lineup to choose from.

As for size of the battle/threat value I guess starting off with a combat group each or so would be good to just get the feel of the game. I'm usually inclined to play smaller games that you can finish in a decent time. and U guess that's around 750 points or so in TV terms. Adding trucks and stuff sounds like fun!

Asteroids... space gates... it all sounds good to me!:D

Sun May 31, 2009 11:47 am
Profile E-mail

I'm ez. Unfortunately I have the trait of skimming through rules as opposed to getting down to the nitty-gritty. Usually I will understand and can introduce the basic concepts but I have been known to screw that up due to my lack of desire to go into the fine details. Sigh.
My friend in Toronto hates it when I buy a new game and attempt to introduce it to him. He now insists on reading the rules himself before playing!; he has always been one to be finicky about stuff like that. So, to get to the point, I will need both of you to help me understand the little things and then once that happens, I can create anything pretty much.

My idea in general with the HG universe, in a nutshell, is one where Earth once again becomes united but this time it is an odd reuniting. It will once again try to encompass known space, not as a leader this time, but as a protector. The question would be whether the Terrans are willing to create an alliance or not. The adoption of Jovian-like gears into this campaign is of interest to me. Space is the final frontier afterall.

I am rambling. I will see you guys tomorrow I imagine. Ciao for now.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:45 pm
Profile E-mail

Hey guy, well originally I said to John I wasn't sure about this game because of the lack of options, but then three things happened.

One I saw the spitting cobra and thought, awsome looks like the cyborg from appleseed swish. Next, I found out their all on rollerblades, now if that isn't retro/future excellence (if that makes any sense of course) then I don't know what is. Then finally I read the quickstart rules and though they involve a really dynamic style of gameplay. I really like being able to move and shoot/be shot at any point in the move. Also, everyone seems to be really interested in the background, so thats next on the to do list.

Anyway so I guess what I'm saying is I'll join in :D Oh, yeah and I dlded the rules plus expansion books etc in PDF if anyone wants them, I could bring on CD tomorrow for example.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:10 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Hey mr Messy! Nice to have more people on-board. I like the rollerblades too. :mrgreen:

If you want to have a look at what Heavy Gear is originally based on check out this VOTOMS clip.

And Brett, I don't think you have to worry about the rules. As for the background... well, I've read a bunch of it but it was a long time ago and I think what I read is considered history in the current timeline. Hehe!

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Welcome Mr Messy. That will be an even match then should we at some point get the ball, or rollerblade, rolling. I am a Southern Gear man myself. Are you more of a Light weight speed? Or a hvy weight crush em and don't look back type? Personally, I am more of a support and red herring sort. SOmething about missiles, lots of missiles, makes me smile. Robotech Archers ... loved them.

On that note, any of you know anything more about the live action Macross movie being made? All I know is ... wow, I would love to see it minus Min May's singing.

Oh, thanks for the offer Mr Messy. I dl'd a whack of them too, including the newest rulesets for both Jovian and HG. Perhaps the other guys would like them though. I just wish I had a way of taking them off the pc without it costing me an appendage or two.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

BAustin wrote:
On that note, any of you know anything more about the live action Macross movie being made? All I know is ... wow, I would love to see it minus Min May's singing.

Ah, now that you mention it I remember hearing something about it a while back. But I don't know anything about it. I would rather see a live action votoms though. :P

I guess the next live action mechs we have to look forward to are Jim Cameron's in Avatar:
(Granted that shot is from the upcoming game, but they'll be . :))

I got a bunch of the old rpg books downloaded (with originals back in Sweden) and have printed a hard copy of "Heavy Gear Blitz! Locked and Loaded". I'm concentrating on the wargame part of at the moment, but it'd be fun to explore the rpg part as well some day. Either HG or Jovian Chronicles, they're both interesting settings.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:32 am
Profile E-mail

---------
Ok, I think we three should get into this at some point in the future. I am game. As for painting the mini's ... I suppose I can but I am not really good at it, I'd rather someone else do it (I would support the paint fund as well).
Perhaps next game day we can flesh out what we are going to do if everyone is still game that is. All of you seem like great fellows to chill with! :)

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:31 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next