It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:03 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Flavor text extravaganze 

Post Re: Flavor text extravaganze
Almost completely unrelated to the topic of the thread, but in tune with the spirit (in that their stories are told via flavor text), I submit a question:

What were the names of all the great Artificers?

Obviously Urza is at the top of the list, followed by Mishra, but then there's Tawnos and Ashnod, too.
Was there a fifth (or even sixth) legendary artificer that I'm forgetting? (it feels like there might be someone from the Mirrodin block that might fit the bill, but a name escapes me).
*has quite the fascination with that whole Antiquities/Urza's Saga/what-ever-else-fits-in-here artifact-brother's-war-related story arc*

In the mean time, here's hoping WotC give these guys (and one girl) the Nicol Bolas treatment and we see them brought back as Planeswalkers in some future set (even if it turns out there's only four, there's nothing saying they can't create a fifth one to even things out so each color gets their own).

[edit]: good god, I'm an idiot. How could I have forgotten the 5th great Artificer?! He's referenced in SO many cards! (both in flavor text AND the card's name). I'm so ashamed I shall not even mention it, deeming myself too unworthy to utter... and will instead put a little spin on the game this thread is dedicated to, leaving it up to YOU GUYS to figure out.

bonus hint: unlike the other artificers, this guy has his own plane.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:48 pm

I assume you are referring to Karn? After his ascension, he created Mirrodin and then left it in the tender care of one Memnarch fellow, who apparently used the parents-out-of-town excuse to do some wild stuff. Calling Karn and artificer though may be a bit awkward... I don't recall him being particularly apt before his ascension and even though one has to admit that creating an entire artifact plane is somewhat of a feat, it can be argued that it was not artifice but the limitless power of a planeswalker that allowed for its creation.

Anyway, you are also forgetting someone else who is quite important. It is Tocasia - the master artificer and teacher of both Urza and Mishra. I don't quite remember her fate, though I faintly recall Mishra murdering her (it would certainly fit his personality).

Also, you might want to include Jhoira as well. Though her prowess as an artificer is somewhat overshadowed by the events that transpired at the Academy, she is repeatedly quoted as being gifted in the art and quite probably one of the next generation prodigies.

Additionally, and somewhat beyond contention, there are the Thran. Urza arguably reached a level approximating theirs, however due to him being a planeswalker it can hardly be called a fair comparison. The Thran are still the single highest evolved society in the entire Magic lore multiverse; the wonders they have created are unsurpassed, with the possible exception of Mirrodin. I am wondering whether WotC feel they have exhausted their story potential with the Brothers' War and the Invasion, but I'd certainly appreciate a flashback block with pieces of history during the reign of the Thran.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:48 pm
Profile E-mail

*STANDING OVATION*

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:37 am
Profile E-mail

Vaso wrote:
I assume you are referring to Karn? After his ascension, he created Mirrodin...
Whoa, Karn created Mirrodin?! My respect for the guy/thing just skyrocketed! ... but no, that's not who I had been referring to.

Vaso wrote:
you are also forgetting someone else who is quite important. It is Tocasia - the master artificer and teacher of both Urza and Mishra.
Ahh, so that's the major piece of the story that I had been missing (had always wonder about the origins, but never actually went out of my way to try to find out). Good to know.

Vaso wrote:
Also, you might want to include Jhoira as well.
Sure, why not throw her in too. We'll need all the characters we can get if we're going to start a new Artifact War.
;P

Vaso wrote:
Additionally, and somewhat beyond contention, there are the Thran.
Hehehe, now we're getting closer.
Think pre-Urza... but also possibly post-Urza?

Bonus hint: Officially, he's not a Planeswalker, despite having powers equal to, if not exceeding them.

Last edited by skfs on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Hmmm pre-Urza... not a planeswalker but rivals one... an artificer... hmmm now im curious.

But anyways that gave me an idea. Artificer War EDH style trying to stick closely flavor more so than your normal EDH staples... the only problem is we dont have a card for urza and mishra kindof sucks for edh but i think it would still be interesting to say the least. Karn and Jhoira are sweet too.

Vaso you remember the story line better than I do, but was teferi an artificer or was was he just hired by urza to work at the academy?

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:54 pm
Profile E-mail

lol, this is going to be one of those "Oh yeah, duh! Of course, why didn't I think of him before!" things.

Want some more hints?
-Despite his prowess in artifact creation, that is not what he is best known for (hence the reason I didn't think of him at first).

Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:50 pm

That would probably be Yawgmoth then. I have to admit, I do not fully recall the events that led to the formation of Phyrexia, nor how Yawgmoth rose to power exactly. From what I remember, he was a high-ranking Thran with too deep a lust for power. I vaguely recall something about powerstones, but it's been so long...

As for Teferi... he wasn't hired by Urza but was a student at the Tolarian Academy that Urza had founded in order to raise powerful wizards for the upcoming war with Phyrexia. Teferi did not excel in artifice - his domain was the manipulation of time and space. After the tragic events that swallowed the Academy in a time-bubble, he returned to his homeland of Jamuraa (the Mirage block continent) where he continued his experiments on his private little isle (and subsequently went poof, island and all, only to return at the end of the Jamuraan civil war).

The Artifact War in all its facets really is my favorite storyline arc. The invasion ended a bit too cheesy for my taste, but I love both the Thran age and the post-Brother's War period. Especially Urza's first expedition into Phyrexia has not received the attention it is due... some quality storyline material! Hardly anyone remembers people like Xantcha or Gix, but I always found them quite interesting character material.
Mirrodin too is a great storyline (zomg Goblin planeswalker? That is just WICKED!) and I do hope they plan to continue it. Karn's return left speculations wide open, particularly as toward WHEN exactly Mirrodin takes place. Assuming that it was before the weakening of the planeswalkers, that would mean Karn is still out there somewhere... and up to what, I wonder!

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:31 am
Profile E-mail

You are correct, sir! It was indeed Yawgmoth.
*nods to forum avatar icon*

Vaso wrote:
Hardly anyone remembers people like Xantcha or Gix, but I always found them quite interesting character material.
Don't worry, Black players remember them. ;D
(and as far as extra story goes, wasn't it rumored that the hand referred to by "The Order Of The Ebon Hand" was in fact ? ... but speaking of Fallen Empires and notable Black characters in the same sentence, I have to ask: why does it seem like everybody has been covered except Tourach?)

This whole little foray into the topics of Artificers has me all nostalgic of the good old days, and now I'm wishing WotC had plans to revisit those old characters and story arcs (but seeing as how they kind of already did that with the Time Spiral block, it's highly unlikely... unless, of course, they decide to go there again for one last huzzah when we eventually catch up chronologically with whatever time period Future Sight took place in).
Hell, once Divine VS Demonic comes out and they've given each color at least one duel deck, I'm crossing my fingers they'll do the same for artifacts (could even make it's opposing deck for the set Blue and call it 'Science VS Sorcery').

/wishful thinking

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:10 am

'Science VS Sorcery').

Artifacts vs. Red? Blue is kind of "Science + Sorcery"

BTW, did you guys check out the Magic Arcana for April 1st? Hilarious!!

Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:12 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Yeah, I figured something along those lines at first as well... but that would have been the 3rd Red duel deck to see release, while everyone else would have only had one (besides, if it was Blue, it would make things a little more fair, as each deck might be able to play along a similar fashion).

In regards to the April Fools stuff, do you have a link?

Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:39 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next