It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:08 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Felidar Sovereign 

Post Felidar Sovereign
So is this banned in EDH yet or do I have to make a deck around it?

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:12 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Felidar Sovereign
BWAAHAAHAAHAAAAA!!!!
XD

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:35 pm

Even Test of Endurance was banned for a while - this one is plain BETTER. The amount of abuse it can create in EDH will very, very likely see it banned immediately.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:46 pm
Profile E-mail

I don't see it as too big a problem. Powerful, certainly, but not an automatic win. You're going to see around 12-15 cards before you reach enough mana to be able to play it, and tutor effects aside, this is only one card in a 99 card deck. Then, in a multiplayer game, everybody gets to untap and see if they can knock you below 40 or get rid of the creature before your turn.

I see it as a 6-mana 'must answer' creature, which is not as common in EDH, hence why I see it as a powerful creature.

The majority of bannings in EDH seem to be ones that act the same way but are turn 2-4 drops. I don't think this will be format warping to the extent where it will be banned.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:05 pm
Profile E-mail

This is a mono-colored 6-mana must-answer General that will defeat the entire table without requiring any other resources whatsoever.

Imagine a dedicated deck full of protection and life gain - all of a sudden, it's not looking all that fair anymore.

Given the ridiculous things you can do in EDH I personally don't find it exceptionally threatening, but coming from the usual, run-off-the-mill EDH banning policy I am very much expecting it to never be allowed.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:12 pm
Profile E-mail

I would hold the same opinion if he were legendary, but since he's not legendary (and therefore can't be a general and can't be reliably played), he just goes into the pile of other "supoer strong EDH cards"

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:16 pm
Profile E-mail

You are absolutely correct there. A major blunder not to notice it not actually being Legendary :/

And yes, I agree with you - it's okay but nothing special, certainly not at the power level EDH usually moves at. I imagine it could be fun to have in a GWx deck to Chord of Calling for EOT though...

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:21 pm
Profile E-mail

On one hand, I want to explain how easy it will be to win with this card... but on the other hand, if I do, I'll probably get ganged up on.

I can imagine the deck winning on the 3rd turn with a good draw. And I am fairly sure I can design it so that it happens that way... a lot.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:33 pm
Profile E-mail

There are ways to build a deck around it, sure. But tbh, if you already invest so much into tutoring and accelerating/cost-cheating there's probably ways to win that don't roll over to Terror or Lightning Bolt. It might be interesting to see what kind of deck comes out of it but I see just too many vulnerable spots that basically ANY deck can easily attack. That being said, it does make for a very interesting win condition in a heavy control deck.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:03 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
:roll: Who plays terror or bolt in EDH?

Seriously!

Spot removal is extremely rare among the decks in our group and mass removal is scarce outside of the decks I shuffle up.

I think if this doesn't get stolen, the only form of "removal" i see with any sort of regularity, it wins on the next turn.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:03 am
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next