It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:50 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 EDH is Timmy? 

Post EDH is Timmy?
I would like to reply to something that defenestrator said in the Mass LD thread.

I am replying here cuz this topic is not about Mass LD

Actually defenestrator was quoting Sheldon

"EDH is designed to be the ultimate Timmy format"

I don`t feel that EDH is very Timmy.

I think this is because there are so many board sweepers(not a Timmy spell).

In Non-EDH multiplayer, if you are mana screwed or just not a big threat, people will mostly leave you alone. People will direct their spot removal at the main threat. But in Multiplayer EDH, most removal is Mass Removal. I guess cuz EDH is geared towards "Big" spells. Why kill only one critter when you can wipe them all out?

If I play a critter and someone removes it with spot removal it is kind of a compliment. "That critter is too good I must kill it!"

But when it dies to mass removal aimed at another player it sucks.

Oh well.....I guess I`m just getting bored with EDH.

Glad the league will be starting next week!!!

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: EDH is Timmy?
why are you bored? last night you played eternal dominion and had the game in the bag but you misplayed and lost to akroma for the umpteenth time

i can see how losing to the great white ***** gets repetitive but you didnt have to. between dons deck and mine you had all the tools you needed to dominate the game.

the reason don and i dont get bored playing the same edh generals over and over is A) we change up the decks regularly and B) we keep taking our game to the next level. Learning to play better is a great way to keep interest and have more fun playing in general.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail

I`m not a Spike, I`m a Timmy.

I don`t wanna "Take my game to the next level", I wanna play with my toys.

I don`t really mind if I lose but if I`m not the main threat on the board why are my critters always getting blown up?

Everyone has different tastes. And everyone has some things they don`t like about the game. Some people don`t like Mindslaver.
Some people don`t like Bribery.
Some people don`t like "Tuck" effects.
I don`t like too many Wraths going off in one game.

I`m not telling anyone what to do.
I`m just saying how I feel about something.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:08 am
Profile E-mail

peterquinn wrote:
I`m not a Spike, I`m a Timmy.
I don`t wanna "Take my game to the next level", I wanna play with my toys.
I don`t really mind if I lose but if I`m not the main threat on the board why are my critters always getting blown up? Everyone has different tastes. And everyone has some things they don`t like about the game...I don`t like too many Wraths going off in one game.

Now this seems like a very reasonable conversation to have. I certainly know what you mean, and I would like to know how everyone else feels about this. Some limits might be in order, as board sweepers are the most powerful effects in the game. A ban is not in order, as every deck needs some way to prevent being overwhelmed, recover from a slow start and reduce the effects of ganging up. However, the do slow down play and take away toys (and in many cases, cost a lot of money, which may also be relevant).
Still, the number one way to deal with it is changing your play style. As a Timmy myself, I completely understand the desire to play your toys (which is why I haven't even played my signature decks in about a month...variety is a Timmy virtue), but being a Timmy is not an excuse for bad play or incoherent strategy. Let's be honest, Akroma and Korlash are two of the most powerful decks in town, and they will sweep your **** away. Yet every time I settle down to play at Shakey's, it seems I'm more likely to be attacked than Sean is, but certainly people are not gunning for either of these guys. Change that and you will significantly improve your play experience; put pressure on the guy with all the brooms and they'll have to use them up, killing fewer cards each time and eventually running out of them.
More generally, multiplayer strategy seems kind of weak at SHakey's. Identify the player whose deck is the greatest threat to you and hit them first. If someone has beaten you umpteen times, then that is your first clue. The last game I played, it was Steve, Sean, Alex and me, and Sean won. Why did he win? Because one of the two BRx decks allowed the monowhite player to keep an army of fliers on the board to kill the other BRx player with. The game lasted for over an hour after that, but that play was the turning point. IF YOU CAN'T BEAT SOMEONE ON YOUR OWN, THE SMART PLAY IS USUALLY TO GET HELP BEATING THEM, NOT HELPING THEM TO BEAT EVERYONE ELSE.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:14 am
Profile E-mail

@ peter I only play 5 wraths and I play more Creatures than you do anyway.

If you would think before playing your dudes then they wouldn't take as much splash damage. It is usually not that hard to tell when I want to wrath the board. Hold back some stuff and put more stuff in your deck to hold back. most of your decks play too many weak impact spells. play good dudes or powerful board position altering spells or both. post a decklist here darryl always a good idea or three for an edh deck imo, and don and I would love to see your decks improve. when your deck runs better you have more fun playing; maybe you don't believe that but there is one way to find out!

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:51 am
Profile E-mail

defenestrator wrote:
More generally, multiplayer strategy seems kind of weak at SHakey's. Identify the player whose deck is the greatest threat to you and hit them first.

Partially right. Part of the multiplayer format's self-correcting mechanism is a concept that precedes this idea: attack the player that makes the game unfun. While Sean's deck is strong, he has gone quite out of his way to make sure there is very little that people find annoying about it (my only complaint is when he shuffles his library more than twice a turn with top/scrollrack, but I generally don't gun for him unless its excessive). Sorry Darryl, I just can't have fun when you're at the same table as me.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:38 pm
Profile E-mail

defenestrator wrote:
Because one of the two BRx decks allowed the monowhite player to keep an army of fliers on the board to kill the other BRx player with. The game lasted for over an hour after that, but that play was the turning point. IF YOU CAN'T BEAT SOMEONE ON YOUR OWN, THE SMART PLAY IS USUALLY TO GET HELP BEATING THEM, NOT HELPING THEM TO BEAT EVERYONE ELSE.

lol, alex.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:36 pm
Profile E-mail

After a couple of games of EDH I've played elsewhere, I noticed that if each deck has a little bit more spot removal, then sweepers become much less effective, and much less necessary. If the deck with sweepers is the only deck packing adequate removal, then you certainly can't blame them for sweeping. Just a thought...

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:11 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Nooooo!!! They took my Rofellos away!!!!
This weekend they banned Staff of Domination, Channel (both fair enough), Tolarian Academy (perhaps fair enough, although artifacts get swept away pretty regularly it seems, and while it may be an overpowered card, without it, my Arcanis deck is probably fairly underpowered), and ROFELLOS BANNED AS A GENERAL!!!
*******s, it was the Timmiest slam-down-fat-without-any-subtlety-removal-answers-or-backup-plan deck I've ever made and now they've knackered it. ARGHH!!!!!!

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]