It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Eclipse Phase - CC Licensed Transhumanist/Conspiracy/Horror 

Post Eclipse Phase - CC Licensed Transhumanist/Conspiracy/Horror
is a new RPG I stumbled across. The PDF of the rule book is out, and it's been released under a , so it's legal and easy to find the PDF to check it out to see if you like it.

The setting is a mashup of Vernor Vinge, Ricahrd Morgan, Warren Ellis, David Brin, Alastair Reynolds, Ken Macleod, Charles Stross, Peter Watts (not enough of him I think. The aliens are too human. Assuming they're actually ETs and not sock puppets), etc. Not many women authors.

War, possibly against self-improving AIs, devastated Earth. Transhumans and posthumans survive in orbital habitats, converted asteroids, Lunar and Martian colonies, and further out in the Kuiper belt. Baseline humans are almost extinct. The various factions and clades are concerned that the self-improving AIs might return. There's been contact with entities claiming to be star faring aliens. There are wormholes, presumably constructed by the self improving AIs blamed for the holocaust on Earth, that go elsewhere.

It's a percentile system with a point buy character generation system. PCs can be baseline humans, modified humans, cyborgs, AI, uplifted cephalopods or gorillas, robots, etc.

I'm not sure I like the system, but I love the setting (with some reservations).

Anybody interested?

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:39 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Eclipse Phase - CC Licensed Transhumanist/Conspiracy/Horror
This newbie is interested ! The setting sounds good, even if the only author I've read in there is Vernor Vinge (should those others go on the to-read list ? I like good aliens, so maybe I should look into this Peter Watts person).
And you can't go wrong with uplifted cephalopods.
The character sheet looks... complicated but I'm sure it's all crystal-clear once you've read the PDF.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:52 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Post Re: Eclipse Phase - CC Licensed Transhumanist/Conspiracy/Horror
The character sheet is not as bad as it looks. I'm pretty sure the system is similar to Chaosium's Basic RolePlaying (Call of Cthulhu, Runequest, Stormbringer, Ring World). You buy attributes, assign skill points, buy a sleeve/morph, buy starting resources. I'd prefer a more random approach, but I guess I can live with it. If I had more time I'd convert it to BRP. It wouldn't be that difficult, and Chaosium's been refining one system for more than 20 years.

I like most of the authors on the list. Not necessarily the best prose stylists, but neat ideas and fun stories. Except for . I really like his work, but fun is probably not the right word. Most of his work is available online. He hasn't had a great deal of commercial success, which is too bad. I'm particularly fond of Blindsight, which has some of my favorite aliens in all of SF.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:07 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]