It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:07 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Dobutsu Shogi: Someone help me plz :| 

Post Dobutsu Shogi: Someone help me plz :|

Sponsored Links

Hi all,

I was asked to translate a rule of an original game, "Dobutsu Shogi" (animal Japanese chess). I made it, but cause I'm not native, I'm afraid it really works. Can you understand the rule with my text?

==========
どうぶつしょうぎ (Animal Shogi)

Rules instruction

Capture your opponent’s lion with your animal friends!

* How to win

Capture your opponent’s lion or move your lion into opponent’s area.

* Pieces

Each piece can move to any adjacent square in the direction of one of the dots on the piece.
Lion: Lion is a king of the forest and your team leader. It can move to any direction and the strongest piece.
Elephant: Elephant is a dependable friend. It can move one square to any diagonal way.
Giraffe: Long neck giraffe can move one square forward, backward or sideway.
Chick: Chick can only move one square forward. It leaves and comes back to the board actively. And, when it promotes...
Hen: Hen can move to any direction except for diagonal backward.

* Rule

Decide who goes first randomly.
Each player move one of his pieces in turn. When you move your piece to a square with your opponent’s piece, you can capture it. Take it out from the board and keep it in your hand. You cannot move your piece to a square with another piece of yours, nor can move your lion to a square that any of your opponent’s pieces can move to.
Instead moving one of your pieces, you can drop one of your capturing pieces in your hand onto any blank square as your piece.
When you move your chick to your opponent’s area, one of the three nearest square from your opponent, you promote it to hen. If you put your capturing chick to opponent’s area directly, you cannot promote it. You need to MOVE your chick to promote it. When you capture your opponent’s hen, it changes back to chick. You cannot drop your chick as a hen onto the board.
When threefold repetition (same board and capturing pieces appeared three times) happened, the game is end in draw.
When you capture you opponent’s lion or you move your lion to your opponent’s area, you win. You cannot move your lion to any square that your opponent can move to, even if the square is your opponent’s area. If you cannot move any piece legally and have no capturing piece (i.e.: stalemate,) you lose the game.
==========

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:29 am
Profile E-mail

---------
Post Re: Dobutsu Shogi: Someone help me plz :|
OK, I'll try, although I'm not native either... The original is in blue, and corrections in red. Despite how it looks, it's not bad, most of the corrections are just minor edits. I could understand the rules without any problems.

YoshiShindo wrote:
どうぶつしょうぎ (Animal Shogi)

Rules instruction

Capture your opponent’s lion with your animal friends!

* How to win

Capture your opponent’s lion or move your lion into opponent’s area.

* Pieces

Each piece can move to any adjacent square in the direction of one of the dots on the piece.
Lion: Lion is a the king of the forest and your team leader. It can move to one square in any direction and is your the strongest piece.
Elephant: Elephant is a dependable friend. It can move one square to any diagonally way.
Giraffe: Long-necked giraffe can move one square forward, backward or sideways.
Chick: Chick can only move one square forward. It leaves and comes back to the board actively. And, when it promotes...
Hen: Hen can move to in any direction except for diagonally backwards.

I'm not sure what you mean by "It leaves and comes back to the board actively".

If I understand it, maybe "frequently" would be better choice than "actively", but still the sentence sounds a bit unwieldy to me.

YoshiShindo wrote:
* Rules

Decide who goes first randomly.
Each player moves one of his pieces in turn. When you move your piece to a square with your opponent’s piece, you can capture it. Take it out from the board and keep it in your hand. You cannot move your piece to a square with another piece of yours, nor can you move your lion to a square that any of your opponent’s pieces can move to.
Instead of moving one of your pieces, you can drop one of your captureding pieces in your hand onto any blank unoccupied square as your piece.
When you move your chick to your opponent’s area, one of the three nearest squares from nearest to your opponent, you promote it to a hen. If you put your capturing a captured chick into your opponent’s area directly, you cannot promote it. You need to MOVE your chick to promote it. When you capture your opponent’s hen, it changes back to a chick. You cannot drop your chick as a hen onto the board as a hen.
When threefold repetition (same board and capturing pieces appeared three times) happened, the game is end in draw. If the same board position occurs three times (including the distribution of the captured pieces), the game ends in a draw.
When If you capture you opponent’s lion or you move your lion into your opponent’s area, you win. You cannot move your lion to any square that your opponent can move to, even if the square is your opponent’s area. If you cannot move any piece legally and have no captureding pieces (i.e.: stalemate,), you lose the game.

Sponsored links

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:36 am
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]