It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:02 pm

Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (OOC) 

Post Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (OOC)
I suppose we should start the Out Of Character (OOC) thread and the In Character (IC) thread.
I'd like to go with the CoC system, as the quickstart rules are free. If your description of what you want to do is good and fits with your character sheet, I'll most likely just go with that. When we need to roll, I'll either do it in secret or just trust you to play fair.

The game begins in southern California in 1928. Your characters should be wealthy enough to afford a trip to a health resort or sanitarium - someplace like the .

I'll be at both the Saitama and Tokyo game events this weekend, so we can talk and or exchange character sheets then if you like.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:41 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (OOC)
All Right sounds very exciting!

I have just made my character, he is a63 years old franco-american journalist named Rupert Aubert.

I will bring you a copy of the character sheet on Sunday. I made it looking at the 4th edition if I am correct, I am not sure but the copy I have is in Italian and it was the first t be translated so I am not sure which exact version it is. I suppese it should be fine anyway.

By the way how can I acquire a gun in the adventure?

Giovanni

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:42 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Quote:
By the way how can I acquire a gun in the adventure?

Ahh, Call of Cthulhu, the classic game of tommy guns and dynamite. I think that if you have a permit from the state you could own a handgun. I'm willing to allow a revolver, if only because it will do no good!. Perhaps your journalist has had a few nasty run-ins with the KKK or rum runners. Just come up with a reason that makes sense.

Anything more than a small pistol doesn't make too much sense for the characters at this point. This is meant to be a relatively short adventure to get the characters together.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:43 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

I haven't made my character yet, but I'm thinking about a young dilettante.

Have you tried the ? I ran into it years ago and it's relly nifty!:D

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Mr. Aubert has always been interested in strange phenomena and dark stories on murder and smuggling. in order to investigate this facts in his town he had to face during his long career a lot of rough tough people, and have always felt safer with his revolver that he managed to get through a "Gun Sport licence". Until now he never needed to use it and he sincerely hopes not to have too. but since the prohibition started he knows too many things about too many people things that he should better not know.

Also the reason why I would like a gun is that my character is sow old and weak that I have a -1d4 penalty to hit so I thought I wanted a little bit of help from technology.

Giovanni

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:21 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Excellent rationalization Giovanni. I love it that so many CoC characters are senior citizens. Traveler tends in that direction as well, with characters struggling to pay off their mortgages.

Martin, I looked at Byakhee, but it appears to be Windows only. Maybe someday I'll get around to figuring out how to emulate XP. I'll give Byakhee a shot on one of the machines at work next week.

After everyone has made their characters, I'll add a bit more to the IC thread about the good Dr. Orne and his sanitarium.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Here is my character that I could not give you on teh games day.

Player:Giovanni
Name:Rupert Aubert
Sex:M
Nationality:French-American
STR:8 Dex:10 Int:11>Idea:55
Con:8 Cha:8 Pow:11>Luck:55
Siz:8 San:55 Edu: 9>Know:45
Damage bonus penalty: -1D4
Hit points:8 Pow Pow points:11
Sanity points: 55

Skills (above basic %)
Read/Write Own 50%
Read/Write Latin 25%
Speak French 25%
History 12%
Occult 25%
Psychology 28%
Hide15%
Bargain 15%
Fast Talk 35%
Oratory25%

Salary 4000 Savings 4400

Revolver 22Cal. Shot per Round 3 1d6 Damage 20% 10 damage points

This is him! I am looking forward to start the campaign!!

G

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:08 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Horatio Maynes was once a promising post-doctoral student working under the famous Sir Dr.Alexander Thomas on Thomas's pet project, which aimed to create a definitive encyclopedia of correspondences between Aztec and Egyptian pyramids. This project was to prove Thomas's theory that the Aztecs couldn't possibly have developed their own civilization - they must have learned what they knew from Egyptian traders in the distant past.

Maynes was Thomas's right hand man for some time after he recieved his parchment at the University of London...until it was discovered that in order to avoid the stigma of having been born to poor Irish laborers in the slums of East End he had falsified information on his entrance applications. His quite legitimate Higher Examination grades, and his well known good performance in the halls of academe went unnoticed, and he was blacklisted, driven from British academia as a scoundrel and a cheat.

His dreams of a respectable and laconic life were broken, but neither could he just return to the streets of his birth - instead, he turned his hard-earned knowledge to profit, and has been working as a "salvage archaeologist", acquiring unique and valuable decorative items for the elite of Europe and America, deriving a perverse pleasure from beating his former colleagues to the punch and leaving their universities and museums empty-handed.

After years of living trapped between the rough-edged world of smuggling and black-market antiquities trading, and the world of academia he truly loved, Maynes has developed a habit of falling into black funks in which he drowns his sense of failure in as many bottles as he can lay his hands on. Several years of working in Central and South America also led him to experiment with cocaine as a way of boosting his intellect - his experiments failed, and he was left with a raging addiction which he currently controls with effort.

Hoping to finally purge his body of the physical demons of drink and cocaine, Maynes has decided to take a rest cure at the sanitarium...

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:44 pm
Profile E-mail

Great characters. I will post a bit more background this weekend, but it may not be until Sunday. Some vile plant has spewed forth it's pollen, and I may spend the next day or so asleep.

Cheers,
John

Fri May 01, 2009 2:52 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

---------
Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!

(or does this belong in the In Character thread...one never quite knows in Japan)

Sat May 02, 2009 11:46 am
Profile E-mail