It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:50 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC) 

Post Re: Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC)
[Having travelled extensively, and lived in a variety of places, I glance around to see if I can guess how long the bungalows have been here - are they recent construction, perhaps related to the development of the ranch as a health farm? Or have they been here for a few years? I take a few steps down the hallway, peering into any rooms with doors open. I take a deep breath, testing the air as it were, and turn to Dr.Orne as I remove my hat.]

"I'm certain we will be quite comfortable, Doctor, and yes - I admit 7 o'clock is a little earlier than I am accustomed to but then the point is to make changes now isn't it? No doubt we will both sleep well after our long trip. And I must say that I'm feeling a little odd - probably just a touch of nerves from having such a long day. I imagine I'll be as right as rain come morning."

[I look about for a coat tree or shelf where I can hang my hat and coat.]

"Incidentally, Doctor - before you leave us do you have any special instructions for tomorrow? How should we dress for the first stages of the treatment?"

Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:16 pm
Profile E-mail

[The bungalow is clearly new. The smell of paint lingers in the air. Nothing is scuffed or worn. The furniture, while plain, is also new. The hallway off the bedroom opens onto a hall closet, a bathroom, and a bedroom. Inside the bathroom is a large claw foot bath tub. Inside the bedroom is a pair of twin beds separated by small table with a lamp. A coat tree is located by the front door.]

"I suppose we could wait until, oh, 8 o'clock," says Orne, smiling like an indulgent grandfather. "I'd advise clothes, and shoes, suitable for a brisk walk around the ranch. Walking is perhaps the most natural and healthy of exercises. I'm sure you know the wheel was virtually unknown here in the New World. No doubt the indigenous peoples owed their virility to it's absence. After lunch we will begin the necessary purging. A coffee enema will make you feel like new men!"

Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:05 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[I smile and shake my head]

"Oh no, Doctor, I'm sure seven will be fine. After all, it's still early. We'll just have to remember to turn in early."

[I glance at my companion for confirmation]

"For myself, I should like to relax for a time before I retire - to freshen my mind for tomorrow if you will."

[I frown, and take a moment to rub my temples]

"I would have thought the salt air would clear my mind and help me unwind, but I find I'm feeling rather strange. Perhaps a hot bath and a chance to browse through a book or two - or even some light conversation - will help me sleep.

"I confess I've never tried a therapeutic enema, Doctor, though they are quite popular on the Continent these days. I'm rather curious to see what it feels like, to be honest. And of course, I'm quite looking forward to our walk tomorrow morning. At seven, then?"

Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:57 pm
Profile E-mail

[I glance about for my trunk as I speak - I assume it's in one of the rooms - and having found it I settle myself in the armchair in the parlor after shucking off my coat. OOC- the floorplan is a modern one - I assume that there's no TV, but perhaps a fireplace? Or maybe a nice iron stove. If so, rather than settling I'll putter about getting kindling together if the fire hasn't been set yet.]

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:36 am
Profile E-mail

[OOC The plan is great. I'd been searching for a floor plan, and had decided to draw one tonight. Thanks for saving me the bother.]

After Orne's departure, you find that the fire has not been laid. Fortunately there is a quantity of kindling and wood stacked neatly by the fireplace. Both of you are feeling a heavy drowsiness, despite the early hour.

Outside, the wind has picked up again. Glancing out the window, you can see that the clouds are beginning to disperse. The indifferent stars are bright and clear.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:12 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[I crouch in front of the fireplace, and using my fuel lighter I get a crackling blaze going in the grate, and use a splint to light my pipe. With a sigh, I settle back on my heels and stand to stare out of the window into the sharp-edged night. After a moment I turn back to the room...]

Well Mr.Aubert, will you have a nightcap? I think there's still enough in my flask for us both to have a nip before bed. I'll sit up a while, I think, and see what I can find about those herbs Dr.Orne was on about - something about them sounds familiar, but I can't think what.

[I head to my room, stand my steamer chest up, and begin to rummage through the books and papers packed in the shelves built into the bottom.]

I think I have a volume here that may have some mention...hmm...now where the blazes is it? Say, Aubert, be a chap and check the galley would you? With any luck there'll be a tin cup or two in there - if so, perhaps we could have a toddy to take the chill off. What do you say?

Last edited by akalamduk on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 am
Profile E-mail

Yes sure let me have a look.

I feel a bit drowsy too, I wonder if it was that strange herbal tea he gave us? Did he really offered us tea?
I have a flash image of teh green cups but that7s all I do not even remember drinkng it.

NEvermind your "Medicine" will worm us up and help us to get some sleep.

Oh! Here they are 2 aluminium cups

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:48 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[I pour a healthy dram into each tin cup from the flask I got earlier and set them on the grate to heat. While the whiskey is warming through, I check the cupboards and shelves in the galley to see what we have - any sugar?]

Tea...yes, I have a vague feeling about that too, but I can't think when he would have given it to us. There wasn't really time, surely? Perhaps he was just clearing away the dishes from a previous visitor? But then...

[I turn back to the parlor - with the sugar bowl if there was one]

I don't recall seeing any other cars on the road either. So what other guests. Unless Dr.Orne wasn't being entirely frank with us when he said we were his first patients...

[a spoon of sugar in each cup, which I swirl around to dissolve it, then hand one to Aubert. I settle in the armchair with a couple of bound collections of ethnographies of the Indians of Central America and the Amazon. I take a sip of my toddy, then reach up to snap on the lamp
I lay one of the books open over my thigh as I fiddle with the draw of my pipe.]

Well, I'm going to see if I can find where I've heard of these herbs of the Doctor's before. Will you give me a hand? Don't imagine it will take more than an hour or so - and I'll likely pack it in fairly early, by my standards anyway!

Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:05 am
Profile E-mail

[A cup of tea, a commonplace thing, an unremarkable part of one's everyday life. All you can remember of it is the cups. They were delicate, queerly porportioned, and a most remarkably vivid shade of green.]

Safe and content within the cheery confines of the bungalow, you both lapse into a contented silence. Transported to the distant jungles of the savage south, you both lose all track of time. It's not until nearly two hours later, when the clock strikes 11 o'clock, does Maynes happen upon the passage he was searching for.

There are accounts dating back to the first Papist missionaries of the native peoples of South America brewing various teas and potions from various indigenous vines and flowers. Most of these accounts mention a certain plant known as ayahuasca (the vine of the souls) or yage. Believing the vine to be demonic, the missionaries made a concerted effort to eradicate the vine and it's use in native ceremonies.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:59 am
Profile E-mail WWW

---------
Hey! does it say anything more about the efects of this wine? I wonder if it is similar to things like the peyote of the native americans?]

and well it might be we really are teh first patients of the clinic. Seems strange seeing all of that advertisment we received in form of pnfletts and similars.

I wonder........

oh! did you find anything else?

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:17 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next