It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:44 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC) 

Post Re: Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC)
Leaning closer, you can just make out the full title, "Malleus Maleficarum." Something about witches and hammers.

"Ah... A delightfully macabre book from a more credulous era. My great grandfather's interest was piqued and he began collecting native artifacts. Thus a family tradition was born."

Orne gestures towards the sofa and the coffee table. "Perhaps you gentlemen would be so kind as to have a seat? I have something of a surprise for you."

Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:26 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Interesting book indeed Doctor.

I have myself a little interest in occultism, eventhough I think it's a lot of superstion isn't?

I take a seat at teh cofee table and wait with a kind smiling face to see what he will suprise us with.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:41 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Smiling beatifically, although it never quite reaches his eyes, Orne produces your checks, and rips them in half, then lights them on fire with a match.

"Gentleman, I have chosen to forgo the usual fee for your stay. I must confess that I have a motive beyond mere generosity. I hope that you will find my treatments invigorating and restorative, so much so that you will be willing to become professionally involved. You both possess expertise of which I am greatly in need. Mr. Aubert, you are a respected journalist--skilled with words, gifted with the ability to express complicated ideas to the common man. And you Mr. Maines, are a true scholar of the southern peoples of these American continents. As you are no doubt aware, my treatments owe a great deal to the ancient wisdom of the aboriginal inhabitants of the New World. I hope that both of you will be willing to assist me, for more than adequate monetary renumeration, in my efforts to establish my sanitarium."

Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:18 am
Profile E-mail WWW

[I am slightly alarmed - having originated in less than comfortable circumstances, I know full well how con games are played, so I'm wondering when the other shoe will drop. But still, the promise of wealth...after all, if I'm wary of a con, maybe I could turn it against him...]

"A most interesting proposition, Doctor. Tell me, what exactly do these treatments involve? I should warn you, I'm not likely to respond to any tonics that use coca as the primary restorative."

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:08 am
Profile E-mail

[As the silence stretches, Dr.Orne's slightly manic grin and glassy eyes begin to make the hair on my arms rise. I clear my throat, glance at Aubert to see if he senses anything...out of the ordinary about Orne's behaviour, then look back at Dr.Orne, only to find my attention rivetted by a fleck of spittle clinging to the corner of his mouth. The Edison lights, installed after the fact and at great expense, flicker gently - washing the entire scene with a ghastly combination of strobe and genial warmth...

And then the premonition passes. I shiver and blink away the last wisps of cobweb in my brain. A sudden craving for the drugs that I came here to flush from my body hits me, but I crush it down, focussing for a moment on my pipe as I struggle to slow my heart and my breathing. And when I look up again, there is Dr.Orne, friendly and congenial, an impish sparkle in his eyes. Aubert sits at the edge of his seat, expectant, face open as he waits for the good doctor's explanation.

And I wonder - how long have we stood thus? A second? An hour? For a moment the creeping horror threatens to take me again, but I swallow heavily and cover my discomfiture by lighting my pipe, tossing the match into the fireplace...]

"To be honest though, Doctor, I'd be willing to try something even if your compounds do use coca - you never know after all what the combination of these native remedies might produce. Why don't you explain further?"

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:43 am
Profile E-mail

"No, no. You're fears are entirely understandable. But no. The treatments are almost all simple procedures, simple physical and mental exercises and a slightly... restricted diet. Naturally, there are a few herbal preparations that I will administer. Teas and such, made from a certain vine native the southern jungles. Also, we will need to... purge... you of the many toxins that have built up in your bodies. A coffee enema should suffice, I think."

Orne stands, and collects your empty tea cups. When did he serve you the tea? Perhaps there was a moment in during your long, meandering conversation when you accepted the delicate green cups. A faint bitter aftertaste lingers, but it's all you can remember of the tea.

"But tomorrow will be time enough for all these discussion. Let me show you to your bungalow--you gentleman must be tired."

Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:43 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Thank you Doctor.

I think I really need to rest.

I take a look at the cups and their content and ask to teh doctor, this is good tea what kind o leaf is it?

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:04 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Orne's hands are empty. You think the cups were delicate green porcelain. But there are no cups.

"Tea? Perhaps tomorrow would be better. I'm afraid that you will need to be purged of toxins before we can begin the yage treatment."

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:58 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

oh! Doctor it must be the late hour, wasn't it tea?

I think it is probably time for bed, and a good clean up will be good for my ealth.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:50 am
Profile E-mail WWW

---------
"Certainly. Allow me to show you to your bungalow. Perhaps we can discuss the future over breakfast, yes?"

Orne shows you outside, and strides off towards the row of bungalows overlooking the valley. The barn is dark, and the doors shut. All of the bungalows are dark.

The bungalows are small houses, in the popular style. They are clearly new, and seem queerly out of place next to the ranch house and barn.

Orne pushes open the door to the last house in the row, and switches on the light. There is a small living room, and you can make out a tiny kitchen at the back. An dark hallway is visible through an open door. The room is furnished simply, with none of the Victorian extravagance of the main house.

"I trust you will find this comfortable. The bedroom and bathroom is just through here. Surely you gentleman won't mind sharing a room. Sadly, the other bungalows are not quite finished. Is 7:00 an acceptable time to break your fast?"

Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:34 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next