It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:54 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC) 

Post Re: Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC)
Before Williams is halfway to the barn, the doors swing open. The light, even at this distance, is almost blinding. A tall figure emerges from the barn and walks down the slight slope towards Williams. They return to the car.

"Good evening! I'm so sorry you had to wait. I'm Dr. Orne, it's such a pleasure to meet you both. Please, please, let us go inside." Orne grips your hands heartily, positively exuding warmth and energy. His accent is odd, perhaps .
"Mr. Williams, Raul is in the studio. Please make sure he gets the film stock, yes? Then, if you would be so kind, make sure these gentlemen's trunks are taken to their bungalow."

[OOC - I couldn't resist casting Peter Cushing as Dr. Orne.]

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:13 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Its a pleasure to meet you Doctor.

We where much looking forward to meet you and see the Sanatorium.

We will surely have a great time here.

{can I do a psychology check to see if the doctor is somekind of hiding, faking calmness?}

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:13 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[OOC - Sure. It will take a bit of time though. As you two interact with Orne, I'll keep your efforts in mind and let you know what your impression of his behavior is.]

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:18 am
Profile E-mail WWW

While Williams wrestles with with the wooden crate, Dr. Orne shows you into the ranch house.
Inside, the house is crammed with unusual ob·jets d'art. Statues, figurines, primitive paintings, and other bric a brac are everywhere. The walls are covered in paintings, drawings, engravings, and wood cuts. Much of the furniture is old fashioned, probably dating from the last century.

Orne leads you into the living room, and insists that you be seated.

"I know I have kept you gentlemen waiting far too long already, but if you would be so kind as to give me just a few more minutes, I'm sure your kindness will be repaid."

Without waiting for a reply, Orne exits through an open doorway at the back of the room.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:50 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

While I wait I look around for something unusual through the room.

I want to give a good look to there primitive artefacts and see if I understand something about it (afterall I should have some history % as an ability)

If I get asked I will try to see if I can talk the doctor to give me more information about these artefacts.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:00 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[I wander around the room, looking to see if anything valuab....er, of archaeological interest might be lying around. After all, we know that Orne spent some time down south, and Mexico etc is one of my specialities. I'll also try to drift closer to the door where I might peek through to see what he's up to back there.]

Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:41 pm
Profile E-mail

The room is more of a than a living room. Orne is clearly an obsessive collector with bizarrely varied tastes.

There are pickled animals, bits of bone, strange carvings, artfully preserved insects, disquieting woodcuts, tattered books, an alabaster flute, crystals, reliquaries, engine parts, mathematical illustrations covered in Hebrew, a clay tablet covered in a strange script, paintings, a jar full of teeth, a shelf containing nothing but sealed urns, two dozen masks from all over the world, and stacks of books almost everywhere.

The primitive artifacts are all clearly of Central or South American origin. There are numerous Catholic idols, but many more distinctly pagan objects. Several of the masks are clearly Guatemalan, the sort of garishly painted wooden masks one can find at any market.

Maynes sees nothing of great value, although an unscrupulous cad might secure a modest sum for the entire collection from any museum specializing in pre-Colombian artifacts.

Orne returns, bearing what look like your checks.

"Ah, yes. My collection. You must forgive an old man his eccentricities! My great grandfather, began the collection, it has become something of a family tradition."

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:06 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Quite impressive, Doctor.

[I bend to get a closer look at the clay tablet - does it look like anything familiar? Cuneiform perhaps?]

Was your great grandfather an historian then? Or perhaps a missionary? I have often found that missionaries make excellent natural and cultural historians, and their collections - while often a bit of a hodgepodge - sometimes contain some items of great interest.

[I make another circuit of the room, pausing at each of the most prominently displayed items (OOC - GAH! An Alabaster Flute!) and using my skill as a trained archaeologist to see if there is any connection among them - after all, having been unearthed by amateurs it's possible that, should I locate the original site, I might be able to worm my way back into respectable academia!]

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:43 am
Profile E-mail

[OOC _ Apologies for my long absence. Real life drama at work significantly eat up free time and mental energy. Back to the horror!]

The clay tablet appears similar to cuneiform, perhaps a closer inspection would reveal more? Age and antiquity, and perhaps a certain morbid element, appear to be the only thing connecting the various items in the collection. Pieces that could be quite valuable are surrounded by what appears to be cheap trash.

"Just a simple preacher from Massachusetts. I believe it was this little volume that got him started," says Orne, gesturing at a battered leather bound book. The title, "Mal---us Ma-e-i---um," is almost entirely undecipherable.

[Giovanni - your intrepid reporter notices that Orne's dazzlingly white smile never quite reaches his eyes. He is a gifted performer, but years of interviewing difficult subjects have schooled Aubert in the black arts of deception.]

Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:05 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

---------
- I see Doctor, so which kind of book is it?

- The title seems latin (I have latin in my abilities so I try to decipher the title) Is it all written in that language? I really like old books, would it be possible to flip through the pages sometimes?

Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:30 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next