It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC) 

Post Re: Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC)
[OOC - Memories of 1836, I presume. After all, it's still 1928. Unless you've had an encounter with the Great Race of Yith.]

As you pull out of the town, the rain begins. Soon you've lost all sense of direction as Williams drives up into the hills.

The flask is full of a surprisingly good whiskey. As he drives, Williams sips from his flask. Fortunately, for now his driving seems unimpaired.

"Well, I don't like to be telling tales out of school, but it's no secret I suppose. Used to be my ranch. I'm man enough to own up to my mistakes. I'm not no businessman, and I made a few bad investments after I got back from over there. About a year ago I was fixin' to lose it all to the bank, when Dr. Orne stepped in. He'd made a lot of friends, and was looking to open up a rest home for... well, gentleman like you two. He bought the land, and kept me on to manage things. Can't say I'm not grateful, but... It's been difficult for me."

The conversation turns to the unexplained and perhaps unexplainable. Williams regales you with blood curdling tales of 'el chupacabre,' or the goat sucker. Occasionally cattle or dogs are found mangled and sucked dry, and some claim to have seen a horrible scaly thing lurking out in the hills.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:41 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[OOC - whoops, I thought it was 1938. Still, no doubt there were similar tales a decade earlier.]

[I'm sparing with the whiskey, sipping just enough to take the edge off my wish for something a little stronger...and granular. Naturally, I pass the flask to my travelling companion as well. Talking around the edges of my sandwich as I munch, I ask a few questions about the things people claim to have seen, looking for solid evidence. As an avowed positivist, and an archaeologist, I'm painfully aware that folklore is often fiction, yet hopeful that some grain of truth is hidden there like pearls in the muck. As we talk, I search my limited knowledge of natural history for something that might explain it all without too much awkwardness (and no doubt fail). When it seems as if Williams might be running to the end of tales of what others have seen, I turn to another subject:]

Well, and what of you, Mr.Williams? No doubt you've seen some strange things yourself, living alone out here.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:35 pm
Profile E-mail

[You are profoundly unimpressed with the rambling tales of local Forteana. The tales are almost boring in their regularity.]

"Well... you saw that big fish today. Owen told me about them newspaper men come down to see it. Last couple of weeks there's been a whole spate of such things."

Williams cracks his neck, and flexes his shoulders. The rain has let up, and the clouds appear to be clearing up.

"I've seen a number of things, specially over there. I don't want you gentlemen to get the wrong idea. I'm not going to tell you what it meant, just what it was. Last couple of nights there've been... some sort of lights or something down in the valley. The ranch house and the new buildings are up on the edge of hill, looking down on a little pond and the pasture down in the valley. Last few nights I've been sitting up, listening to my phonograph on the porch. Down at the bottom of the valley, around the pond, there were these lights. Yellow, blue, green..."

"Like I said. I'm not saying what it was, or what it meanty, or if it were real or not. Just that I saw it, and I was wide-awake as I am now."

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:32 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

wow! that sounds like something strange for a local pond lik that.
I wonder if it was some kind of scientific experiment.

Is it happening often, or with a certain regularity during lets say full moon nights or dirung hot evenings or was it the first time for you to see something like that? Did you hear any sound?

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:26 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

"Well, the weather's been strange lately. Ever been up to San Francisco? Normally we don't get that sort of fog down here, but lately... It must have been 4 am a few nights ago. I wasn't going to sleep, so I was up and sitting on the porch. The moon was up, and it was like I was looking down on a cloud. There was lights down in the fog, and maybe some up above it. That was the first time I ever saw it, and it was back last night."

Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:07 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[I pass the flask around again]

Well, Mr.Aubert, there are all manner of creatures and plants in the water that might cause a phosphorescence. Perfectly natural really - though I dare say a little unusual in these parts. I say, Williams, has there been an earthquake recently? It seems to me that I often came across phosphorescent films in caves when I was digging in Mexico. Perhaps a disturbance in the Earth has brought to the surface something that was once restricted to some subterranean region?

[when the flask gets back, I take another swallow of the firey liquid and "chew" on the idea a bit]

In fact, I suppose it's not at all impossible that the thing on the beach could have emerged from a previously sealed subterranean region. It's not uncommon, you know, for lower forms of animals - you know, frogs, reptiles of various kinds, fish - to be sealed in rock or mud for quite a long time and emerge quite healthy, at least for a time. Why, not so long ago it seemed as though they were finding toads and frogs in just about any old lump of stone. . Such creatures generally expire within a few hours or days of emerging, which might explain that huge beast on the beach. If something from a long past age were expelled suddenly by an earthquake...

[I settle back to ponder a bit more, and to pack a new pipe...]

Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:22 pm
Profile E-mail

I see, so it was within some thik fog! and did not you just mention above the clouds?
where this lights intermittent or where they like some kind of lightnings?

I think by the way that tomorrow we should go and have a look at the pond to see if we can get a clue about what happened, I think that could finally be the great article that will make me famous (laugh a bit with sarcasm).

I wonder if we will find some extinct animal or what ever the geolocial novelty it could be.

Also did you mention this to someone in the sanatorium? perhaps they could have some idea of what could have happened.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:47 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

"Well, the fog looked more like clouds than fog... I'm not quite sure how to explain it. But the lights were down in the valley, not up in the sky. I didn't feel quite comfortable telling the doctor about it. He's, well... Focused is the word. Focused on his projects, and I'd rather just get on taking care of the few cattle we got left."

Williams slows, and pulls off the side of the road. You are off in the hills above the town, and it's rather dark. He leaves the motor running, and the headlights reveal a gate and a cattle grid.

"Well, this is the gate. Just give me a minute and I'll get the gate open. From here it's just a few more minutes to the ranch, er sanitarium."

Williams gets out of the car, and heads off towards the gate.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:56 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Before he gets off I thank you for the interesting information.

I promise him that I will go and say hallo when I will be in the sanatorium.

I reasses myself inthe seat and wait for the car to enter the property.

(can I make a check to see if the guy was nervous or scared when he mentioned the experiments of the doctor?)

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:16 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

---------
[Rattle rattle... Not nervous, more disdainful or disinterested. Like the high school sports star talking about the nerds.]

Once you are through the gate, the car heads up into the hills. A few minutes later you arrive at the Carlsbad County Sanitarium. There are a number of buildings, precisely how many is difficult to tell in the dark. The lights are on in two of them - a sprawling ranch house and gigantic barn. Although the barn is windowless, the big doors are partially open and light is pouring out. Perhaps a dozen other buildings, mostly small bungalows, are clustered back behind the ranch house. All the buildings are on the top or side of a hill overlooking a small valley.

Williams pulls up in front of the ranch house and gets out.

"Just give me a few minutes, and I'll go find Dr. Orne."

He heads off towards the barn.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:03 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next