It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC) 

Post Re: Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC)
[OOC: Sadly, America enjoyed Prohibition of Alcohol (/) from 1920 to 1933, although there may be a or blindpig somewhere in the town. I can't imagine Italians putting up with a ban on alcohol. America--founded by puritans.]

Wed May 27, 2009 11:43 am
Profile E-mail WWW

ooops! I just meant a fresh tonic water with a lemon slice in it. You know I have French origins, and I am not at all used to that prohibition thing.

so dear fellow barman, a Tonic Water that is what I meant!

Wed May 27, 2009 2:36 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[I take off my hat to scratch my head in puzzlement]

Say, Aubert - it seems to me that the Stationmaster definitely said something about a bar hereabouts. Of course, such things are illegal in this...ah...highly civilized nation. But still if we could scare up something a bit stiffer to wash the taste of that thing out of my nose then it wouldn't go amiss. What say we make a discrete inquiry back at the station? If nothing else, if I remember newspaper men from back in London, it seems as though we're rather more likely to find them there than in this quiet cafe.

And anyway, where is that cursed car?

Thu May 28, 2009 9:22 am
Profile E-mail

I think that is a rether fantastic idea! We will definitely be able to gather some information about that thing on the beach.

Shall we go back at the station and ask for some "holy water"?

We can aslo wait for teh car there.

Thu May 28, 2009 10:57 am
Profile E-mail WWW

After a brief exploration of the town square, you make your way back to the train station.

A yellow Rolls Royce Phantom is parked in front of the station. Despite the shadowy interior of the station, can make out a tall, thin man leaning on the counter of the station masters office. He is speaking, or rather ranting. At this distance, his voice is a low rumble and you are unable to make out what he is saying.

The luggage you left at the station is stacked on the pavement beside the Rolls Royce, along with a wooden crate.

Thu May 28, 2009 8:18 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

So I start walking toward the car and then toward the thin man and I introduce myself, Sir you are probably looking for us my name is Rupert Aubert and this is Mr.Maynes.
I noticed you already have our luggage, are there any other customers that will be staying in the sanitorium?

Fri May 29, 2009 10:46 am
Profile E-mail WWW

As you approach the station master's office, the two men stop talking and turn to face you.
The station master slips something back under the counter, and turns away. The other man is tall, rangy, and leathery. Mostly bald, he is wearing and a dark brown suit and a turquoise bolo.

"Yeah. I'm Adelard. Orne sent me to get ya'll."
Williams' has the voice of a heavy smoker - rough and scratchy.
"About the delay, cattle got loose, and it took all afternoon to round them up. I guess y--"
Williams voice is cut off by a fit of coughing. Williams produces mustard yellow handkerchief, and turns away. When the fit subsides, he leans against the counter for a moment. Stuffing the handkerchief into his pocket, he straightens up and faces you
"Sorry ya'll had to see that, you can thank the Krauts*. Anyway, let's get you squared away." Williams picks up his hat off the counter, and moves towards your luggage.

*[OOC - For the record, I have no animosity towards Germans. Any racism/ethnocentrism/sexism/nationalism is not me but the NPCs. The 1920s were an especially ugly time in the States.]

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:37 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[I try to judge Mr.Williams' age after glancing at the turquoise hat - eyebrow cocked in a silent and somewhat sarcastic comment on the man's sense of fashion - then help the (presumably somewhat winded) Mr.Aubert into the car before stepping back to supervise the loading of our luggage.]

"Quite the thing on the beach, eh? Do you often get things washed up here after storms?"

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:46 pm
Profile E-mail

[OOC - I forgot that people who aren't from the American Southwest may not be familiar with ties. According to Dr. Wikipedia, they may not be anachronistic for the 1920s. For the sake of the game, let's pretend that the "citation needed" tag isn't there and that the information is accurate. Here's a of sample images. His hat is a bog standard .]

Williams age is difficult to guess. His skin is deeply tanned and windburnt. He has clearly spent his life working outdoors. Any age between 35 and 45 seems possible.

"Suppose not. Before you got here, them newspaper fellows were waiting for their train and going on about it."

Williams has little difficulty moving your baggage, now that the coughing fit has passed. While he is packing your luggage and the shipping crate into the back of the Rolls Royce, you notice that the backs of Williams hands are covered in hideous scars.
Williams straightens, audibly popping his back. "You gentleman ready? It'll take an hour, maybe two, to get to the ra--, Sanitarium. Last chance to visit the John."

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:53 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

---------
[OOC - no, "bolo" ties are quite familiar, though we call them string ties where I'm from. If I'd been reading more carefully, I would have seen bolo rather than bowler though...Also, for the record I would like to remind you that my luggage consists of a steamer trunk filled with clothes of course, but also containing my books and tools of the trade (minus obligatory Egyptian street urchin) since as a salvage archaeologist I'm without permanent address. Does Williams need assistance? Probably not, if he's the sort of man I suspect...]

IC - I try to get a good look at the slide on Mr.Williams' tie - we're close enough to Mexico that it may be Indian work I'm familiar with, and besides: as an archaeologist I'm naturally VERY interested in marketable anti...er, I mean valuable cultural artifacts, and farmers are the single best source of new exavation sites.]

I think I'm ready. Mr.Aubert? In any case, I'm sure neither of us is unfamiliar with the fine art of "pissing in a ditch" if it comes to that. I'm more concerned about supper, to be honest. Can we spare a moment to pick up a few sandwiches at the cafe to tide us through? I assume a meal will be waiting for us on our arrival.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next