It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:43 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC) 

Post Re: Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC)
[I smile indulgently and dismiss the idea, though not unkindly]

"Fort? Bah, the man's a buffoon - though I must say he spins a fine tale. No, no, my dear Mr.Aubert, this thing - whatever it is - comes from the natural world, and so we must use natural science to explain it. That idea of yours to take a sample or two is probably best - there are some naturalists coming tomorrow, apparently, but who knows what will be left by then?"

[I take a closer look at the beach: is it sand, pebble or mud? Also, I glance up and down the shore to see if there are any rivers - perhaps the thing washed down to the sea from the mountains, where it lived a secluded life in the unexplored parts of the California coast. ]

"Looks like a storm may be brewing, and anyway when the tide gets up the thing may wash back out to sea...assuming that's where it came from. What do you say to seeing if the high school - or more likely Dr.Orne - has a microscope we could borrow for the evening? Wait a tick - I think I might be able to use those field glasses..."

[retrieving my field glasses from Aubert while he tries to collect samples, I try to focus them so that I can take a REALLY close look at the thing (holding a handkerchief over my nose as I get very close) and curse the fact that my magnifying glass etc are still packed in the steamer trunk at the station]

Fri May 22, 2009 6:33 pm
Profile E-mail

{Whatever it is we will only know by analyzing it or having it analized so lets get on with it! I think your idea to try at teh school and at the doctor's is a good idea. on to work then.

I hope after that we can go to the sanatorium and while being there we can do our research.

I feel peckish how about you? shall we have some seafood for lunch? ahahaha!}

I take the beer bootle and the razor in my beauty case and all the bottles and containers that I might have in my luggage and I start taking some samples.

After having took them I try to pack them tha best I can so that the smell won't leak and I try to wrap them up with some underwear, after all being an older man my pants tend to be rather big!

Fri May 22, 2009 7:17 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

The beach is sandy and picturesque, save for the rotting mass.
There are no rivers in the immediate area, though you have a vague recollection of one a little farther north.

Aside from the few anomalous bits most of the beast is an undifferentiated mass of gelatinous tissue. Closer inspection with the field glasses reveals little more. The tissue is yellow white, oily, and nauseating.

A bell, presumably from the town, is faintly audible over the waves.

Fri May 22, 2009 7:36 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[Shall we have a look at the river? I believe we should have more time before they come to pick us up]

Fri May 22, 2009 11:27 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[The river was a few miles north of the station, you crossed it during your trip down.]

Sat May 23, 2009 5:38 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I think its a good chance to start walking back at the station, although I think that if some of the people that came to see the thing at the beach has a shovel I want to try to move the thing and see what's under it.

Sat May 23, 2009 6:50 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

"Can't say as this thing puts me in the mood for food - but it is getting on, and who knows what strange medicinal meals the good doctor has planned for us? If you've got some samples bottled up, I asked the station master to let our driver know I would be waiting at the cafe."

[I wave my hand in the general direction of the clouds]

"and in any event, the weather looks as though it might turn on us. Best to get under cover before it does."

[While Aubert is trying to look under the mass, I pull out my pocket notebook and jot a few observations - length, width, weight estimate, colour etc. If I have time, I'll attempt a sketch with notable points like the giant eye and toenails etc marked, just in case the mass goes missing with the next tide. On the way back up to the station, I'll keep my eye out for something like a lifeguard detatchment or tide schedule, and I'm also looking for signs of the local school and newspaper office - the former to get access to lab facilities, the latter because I'd love to see the newspaper man's prints]

Sun May 24, 2009 12:53 pm
Profile E-mail

I think its a good idea! Let's head back after I will have looked under this thing and I would say we can get back.

Sun May 24, 2009 8:31 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Aubert:
The other reporters and gawkers left with the photographer, although they left a good deal of trash and miscellaneous debris behind. Poking around the beach, you find a tattered magazine with a lurid yellow cover, a child's bucket and spade, bits of film packaging, a glass bottle, cigarette buts, and the remains of a huge cigar. The spade is a poor tool, but you manage to lift up a section the thing. Beneath the sand is soaked with the same oily substance oozing out of the thing. The piece of the thing you are lifting with the spade, separates from the main mass with a slurping sound. It jiggles obscenely, like some sort of horrid Jello-O dessert. Your hands are not covered in slime, as well as the cuffs of your shirt.
[OC: an unlucky dexterity check]

Maynes:
Sketching the rotting mass presents you with no difficulties. Far down the beach, to the south, you can make out something that might be a lifeguard tower. A sign warning of riptides and other maritime dangers is posted near the bottom the stairs. While there is nothing posted about the tides, it is clear that the water level is as low as it is likely to get. A line of debris and driftwood mark the high water level, well above the current level of the water.

The town's business and civic building are all clustered around the town square, just behind the train station and across the tracks.

The public school is closed for the weekend, as are most of the businesses. It is around 5 o'clock, and only a general store, a cafe, and the train station itself remain open. The offices of the Seaview Crier appear shutdown for the evening, although a light is visible through a second floor window.

Mon May 25, 2009 10:24 am
Profile E-mail WWW

---------
Then with my samples, my luggage and my dirty hands I get back to teh town and look for a place where to wash my hands at least! I must be smelling like hell!

so while we wait at the bar I get my gin tonic and with my clean hands I enjoy the fresh drink.

so we wait for teh driver to pick us up.

Tue May 26, 2009 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next