It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:50 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC) 

Post Re: Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC)
Well, actually my associate and I are here to see Dr.Orne, and Mr.Williams was being sent to drive us up.

Ah well, no help for it. Half six you say? I'll take a quick stroll about town to stretch my legs after the long journey, then settle down in the cafe for a cup of tea while I wait. If by chance I'm not back when Mr.Williams arrives with the automobile, could you send your man to find me there? Thank you!

I go back to my luggage to pick up my small travelling valise and to check the locks on my steamer. Satisfied that all will be secure until I return, I head to the station entrance. Once there, the reek causes me to wrinkle my nose in disgust, but curiosity has overcome me - I begin to saunter down toward the waterfront along the winding roads of the town.

Tue May 19, 2009 8:51 am
Profile E-mail

Mr. Aubert:
Slightly out of breath after the climb, you arrive as the photographer and the other men are packing up and heading toward the stairs.

You recognize the photographer, James Whitmore. A tireless self promoter, Whitmore is a talented, if arrogant, young man and was recently hired by the new magazine Time. Whitmore, weighed down by an absurd amount of photographic equipment, spots you and jogs ahead of the rest of his party. Panting, he stops in front of you, dumping his equipment on the ground.
"Didn't expect to see you here, old man. Hell of a thing isn't it?"

Mr. Maynes
"Yes, well... Suppose it is Orne's ranch now."
Following your nose, you find yourself at the top of the cliff, looking down at the beach. Steps have been cut into the side of the cliff, providing access to the beach. Aubert is chatting with another man at the bottom of the steps. A small of group of men is headed towards them. Glistening on the beach behind them is the source of the stench. Yellowish white, it's perhaps 40 feet (12 meters) across and perhaps 12 feet (3.6 meters) high.

Tue May 19, 2009 1:25 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

"Hey Young man! as usual confident and arrogant! I used to be like you before world war one! but after what I had to go through as a refuge I learned the art of politness! Hell of a thing indeed! have you got an idea of what it is? "

While I listen to his reply I get close to teh thing and try to identify what it is while I leave my luggage a few feet away and I cover my mouth with an handkercheef.

Tue May 19, 2009 9:29 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

[Thankfully, the rich perfume of my tobacco (and a few years of cocaine abuse...) renders my nostrils somewhat less acute than those of my fellows, and so - hands in pockets, fedora at a rakish angle on my head, I saunter down the steps to join Aubert and his young companion. With a friendly smile, I take the pipe from my mouth and am just about to introduce myself when the...thing on the beach grabs my attention.]

Bloody Hell, what the devil is that!?

Beg your pardon. Took me quite by surprise. Maynes. I stick out my hand, introducing myself to the photographer Any good plates? And not to put too sharp a point on it, what is the rather noisesome mess on the beach?

[I fumble in my bag for a pair of field glasses, hoping I haven't packed them in the trunk]

Tue May 19, 2009 11:54 pm
Profile E-mail

[The horrible rattle of the Keeper of Arcane Lore's dice sends a chill down your spine.]

Aubert
As you approach the fetid mass, you begin to feel sick to your stomach. Fortunately, you ate little on the train, and have thus have little to vomit up. After the first wave of nausea passes, you are able to proceed with your investigation.
You have a hazy recollection of something similar in the San Francisco and Santa Cruz papers a few years ago. Something about a prehistoric beast or a whale found on the beach.

Maynes
"No need to apologize. James Whitmore. I suppose I may have something useable. Won't know for sure until I get back to the darkroom. As to that thing, I've no idea. Some naturalists are coming down tomorrow to have a look, but I doubt they'll have much luck. If you've got a strong stomach, you should take a closer look. Look, sorry to run out on you, but I've got deadlines to meet."
Luck is with you, and you dig out your field glasses. While the smell roils your stomach, you are able to hold down the remains of your lunch.

The thing is yellow white and covered in a viscous oily substance. Thick, coarse, black hair sprouts in random patches. In other places, the surface is pebbly and almost leathery. Chunks of something like toenails are scattered across the top of the thing. One vast eye, nearly 2 feet (61 cm) across stares up at the sky. While there are countless seagulls circling and crying overhead, it seems that none of them have fed on it.

As the two of you examine the carcass, the photographer and the other men head up the cliff.
The wind picks up, and the horizon is darkened by dark grey clouds.

Wed May 20, 2009 10:15 am
Profile E-mail WWW

While I look at the thing I start looking around with the intent of asking some question for an article. I look at this gentlemen with a field glass and try to ask him some questions.
@Maynes
-'mornign Sir, you look like an expert, do yo have any idea of what this thing is? I came here to get some rest and it looks like I will have to write an article for my newspaper, is this thing some kind of extinct animal?

Wed May 20, 2009 11:26 am
Profile E-mail WWW

"Ah, Mr.Aubert. I believe we spoke briefly in the dining car last night, if you recall - Maynes, Horatio Maynes."

[I pass the field glasses to Aubert. While trying to recall the tide chart I saw on the station wall, I begin to move around to the other side of the mass, keeping an eye out for crabs and other beach scavengers that ought to be feeding on it. As I walk, I continue:]

"I've seen my share of oddities, I confess, but unless I miss my guess, old chap, there are no experts in things like this. What do you suppose it is? I thought it might be the remains of a deep sea giant squid from a distance - like that octopus that washed up near New York a few years ago - but now...well, it might be some kind of sport, but it's not like anything I've ever seen."

Thu May 21, 2009 9:07 am
Profile E-mail

Ah! Mr. Maynes of course, pardon me this thing is just so unbelievable that I got totally distracted!

I myself have seen strange things and I have to admit I have a deep interest in occultism but Ihave enver seen anything like that.
Biology was never my favourite subject but I can tell this is nothing I have seen before. I thought It could have been the last of an extict race of marine animals but from the smell I could tell its almost not from the animal world!

I think that our stay at teh sanatorium will be pleased by some research! I think we should get some samples, I should have beer bottle in my lluggage that we could empty and use to get some of this thing! We might have to ask to a local doctor to lend us his microscope, but if we are lucky we might find one at the Sanatorium.

Thu May 21, 2009 11:16 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Circling the gelatinous mass, Maynes is startled to find what looks like a cross between a flipper and an elephant's foot emerging from thing, a few feet above the sand. The ends of the foot or flipper are covered in what look like ivory toenails. Or teeth.

There are no crabs or other scavengers feasting on the thing. An iridescent fluid has began to seep out of the surface of the thing, like sweat.

A flash of insight strikes Aubert, and he recalls something he read in an article by Mr. Charles Fort. He theorized that there might be a sort of Super-Sargasso Sea up in the air where all the lost bits of things wind up, occasionally falling to earth.

Thu May 21, 2009 2:48 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

---------
I explian that to my new friend.

I try to look into my bag for teh bottle and try to get some fluid into it. also I try to see if I can extract one of these theeth.

Thu May 21, 2009 4:35 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next