It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC) 

Post Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC)
5 April, 1928

An eagerly anticipated letter from the Carlsbad County Sanitarium has arrived.
Quote:
Welcome friend! Your application has been accepted, and we are looking forward to your arrival. We are sure that you will find your stay invigorating and cleansing. To prepare you for your visit, we have included a complimentary copy of Dr. Orne's latest treatise. We are certain that you will find it most edifying and enlightening.

Please remember that modesty and continence are a vital and necessary part of your treatment. Dr. Orne has strictly prohibited the latest female fashions, especially those recently made popular by Miss Clara Bow. Transportation to the Sanitarium is provided. Adelard Williams, our driver and groundskeeper, will be waiting for you at the train station on April 20 from 3:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. If you should arrive at the station after six o'clock, please consult the station master, a Mr. Owen. He should be more than happy to allow you the use of the station's telephone.

Yours in purity of essence,
Virgil Woodlock, Assistant to Dr. Orne

Accompanying the letter is a slim green pamphlet:
Quote:
Plain FACTS for OLD and YOUNG, men AND women,
embracing the Natural History of Hygiene
and the Elementary ORGANIC Principles
in Order to PRESERVE and PURIFY
the PRECIOUS FLUIDS of our Bodily ESSENCES
and Promote Constancy AND Temperance
By J.S. Orne, M.D.,
Member of the British and American Associations for the Advancement of Science American Public Health Association, American Society of Microscopists, American Social Science Association, Société Française D'Hygiene, State Board of Health of California, Editor of "Good Health," Author of The Home Hand-Book of Mental Hygiene and Scientific Medicine, and Various Other Works.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:00 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Call of Cthulhu - Carlsbad County Sanitarium (IC)
Before the Great War, Dr. Orne served as physician and confidante to California's wealthy elite. Sadly, his well known connections with certain prominent German and Romanian physicians attracted the attention of the federal government. Although he was never formally charged, the alleged disloyalty was enough to ruin his career.

In 1916, Orne disappeared from Los Angeles deeply in debt and addicted to opium. Five years ago, he resurfaced in Mexico City as the private physician to Raul Martinez, one of the wealthiest businessmen in Mexico. Backed by Martinez, Orne began publishing pamphlets promoting his new therapeutic regimen. He claimed to have rediscovered the ancient medicinal wisdom of the Mayans and Aztecs--wisdom that had cured his opium addiction and transformed him into a new man.

Orne recently returned to California and purchased a small ranch in southern California. You are lucky enough to be among the first people to secure reservations for a week long treatment.

Thu May 07, 2009 4:01 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Your train arrives in Seaview a few minutes after four. Seaview is small town, home to no more than a few hundred people. The station is almost entirely deserted. An elderly latino man is sweeping the platform, completely absorbed in his work. You can just barely make out the sound of a preacher on the wireless, coming from the station master's office.

The sky is a perfectly clear baby blue, and the wind is blowing in off of the Pacific. You can almost taste the salt, and something else, the unmistakable stench of rotting fish.

The promised motor car is not there.

Last edited by cosimoilvecchio on Thu May 14, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 14, 2009 8:53 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Well, I'm not certain I think much of an outfit that hasn't even the decency to provide the transportation it offered. Still, perhaps there's been some problem with the automobile. Shall we inquire at the stationmaster'a office?

[travelling with a steamer chest, I leave it where it is and saunter over to the office as I begin to thumb another charge of tobacco into my pipe]

Thu May 14, 2009 9:53 am
Profile E-mail

I came with my suit case which is not too heavy since my age has took away a lot of my strenght that I had in my youth.

I decide to look around the entrance of the station just to get an idea of what teh little city looks like. I bring with me my suitcase because it contains my pistol and leaving it unlooked in the station worries me a bit.

I cannot believe that after all that advertisment and all the money I paid the car is not here to pick me up! I will have to get some explainations!

Sun May 17, 2009 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Through the ticket window, Maynes can see the station master, a florid man in his fifties, leaning back in his chair, with his feet up on his desk listening to a preacher on the radio.
Quote:
"was in the beginning, so it is now. Christianity is still at odds with the remnants of a once worldwide paganism which reasserted itself"

As soon as he notices your presence, he sits up and switches off the wireless.

"Can I help you sir? If you're with them journalists, just head straight down the hill to the beach. Follow your nose and you won't go wrong."

From the entrance to the station, Aubert is looking down a steep hill that falls away to the beach. The town looks small, but wealthy. Seaview appears to be a bedroom community, recently built in the style of the new Spanish Colonial Revival.

A flock of seagulls is circling above the beach, their harsh voices carried to the station by the sea wind. The smell of rotten fish is stronger out here and definitely coming form the beach.

A large wooden crate is off to one side. It has the logo "Power's Cinephone" stenciled in bright red on the side.

Mon May 18, 2009 9:27 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Taking a moment to set a match to my pipe, I glance back to see where the gentleman I met on the train - a fellow future patient of the Sanitarium - has gotten himself to, then turn back to the stationmaster

Journalists? What in the world are journalists gawking at in a quiet little town like this?

Hrmph. As it happens, no - I was instructed to ask to use your telephone if the automobile wasn't waiting. I hope it's not too much bother?

Mon May 18, 2009 10:37 am
Profile E-mail

what a beatiful little town, I should retire here in a few years and just enjoy my life and perhaps just doing some collaboration work with the local newspaper.

but this smell of rotten fish is just so diturbing! where teh hell is it coming from? I should go and have a look at teh beach it looks like its coming from there.

I will take a short walk just to get in the mood of the ealthy diet I am going to have!

Mon May 18, 2009 12:37 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

"Sorry. All day there been newspaper men coming and going, all on account of the thing that washed up. Suppose you're going up to the William's ranch. Adelard called 'bout an hour ago. Said they was havin' troubles with the cattle getting loose. He should be here sometime around six or six thirty. There's a bar down the street, and the new 'cafe."

From the station, the street winds back and forth down to the beach. In just a few minutes, you come the end of the street on a high cliff overlooking the beach.

The smell is coming from a vast pile of something washed up on the beach. 10 or 15 men are posing in front of it, while a photographer is adjusting his camera. Rough steps have been cut into the cliff. The climb looks easy, even for an elderly gentleman.

Mon May 18, 2009 1:42 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

---------
That looks like an interesting article for my newspaper.
The boss might be interested eventhough that youngster is not interested as he should be into this kind of things! may be it is just a whale that came ashore and has been half eaten by the sharks, that wouls surely smell bad. Although not as bad as this puah!

I will take a stroll down the steps.

man my suitcase is feeling heavy hey!

Mon May 18, 2009 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next