It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Buying miniatures 

Post Buying miniatures
Hello,

I'm Brian and I live in Kanagawa, kawasaki city. I am a 40k player, but my miniatures are back in america still. I'm looking to buy some historical miniatures here in japan. I've always wanted to paint a samurai army. Where can I go, in kanagawa, tokyo, to be able to buy these kinds of things? (15-28~ mm historical miniatures) (i've found a GW store, but besides that I don't know)

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:52 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Buying miniatures
Hi There, welcome to the miniature section!! I am so glad taht finally someone did post a message about historical miniatures!!

I do not know any shop in Japan that carries 28/15MM historical miniatures, I alway buy mine via internet. What kind of game do you plan to play with them?

Actually there is a game system that a good part of the miniature community is using that includes samurai armies, if you are interested let me know I can hook you up with some rulebooks.

As for the minis we play in 15MM so if you plan to make an army it would be great to play togeather.

I personally do not have samurai, but the rule system called DBR is for the period from 1494 to 1700 that includes Samurai and their neighbourg.

I am looking forward to play vs a samurai army!

Giovanni

Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:52 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

DBR looks really cool.

I didn't think i'd be able to play and was just thinking of getting 25-8mm figs just to paint, but if i could field an army that would be awesome. And I wouldn't mind giving the 15mm world a try. What other kinds of armies do people have?

2 questions about buying from the internet, do you find most places ship to japan? and what is it like buying from sites in a different currency? (i've seen sites in pounds etc...)

thanks for the reply

Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:21 pm
Profile E-mail

HI! I am very very glad you are interested in DBR.

I think Samurai in 15MM would be very easy to paint so you could easily field an army.

I have 3 armies:
St John Knights
Tartars (not finished yet)
Savoy (this is an Italian renaissance army from my home town)

another friend is preparing for late renaissance french
and another friend can field several armies like Persians, indians with elefants, Italian wars lanzkneckt (I do not know how to spell that word!)

At for buying from a web site I did it several times and it is not a problem, depending on the company sometimes the shipping is a theft but normally since we are out of the EU teh take the taxes off (about 15-20%) so in the end you could get your figures chaper than buying them in say for example the UK!

I did not have a single problem whe I bought my figures, depending on the company though the service could be a little slow.

I bought from Essex miniatures and tehy where very good.

I hope it helps.

By the way where about do you live? if you are close I could arrange to get you a set of ules.

Giovanni

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:37 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

musischen wrote:
Hello,

I'm Brian and I live in Kanagawa, kawasaki city. I am a 40k player, but my miniatures are back in america still. I'm looking to buy some historical miniatures here in japan. I've always wanted to paint a samurai army. Where can I go, in kanagawa, tokyo, to be able to buy these kinds of things? (15-28~ mm historical miniatures) (i've found a GW store, but besides that I don't know)

I'm pretty sure you will have to mail order them to Japan. I've never heard of any store that carries firgures other than GW or plastic 1/72.

In 15mm Essex and Two Dragons does samurai. I think mini-figs does too. Essex I think was the best, and I don't think any of those three work well with each other. Two Dragons were short and fat, Essex about right, and minifigs were small than both the other two. But I could be wrong about that, and there may be other manufacturers.

You could do this in plastic. I was eyeing some plastic figures i saw in Tokyo. The Yellow Submarine in Akihabara had almost the whole line of 1/72 RebBox Samurai period figures. They are nice for plastic IMO.

In 25-28mm there are a few lines but I'm only familiar with the Perry Twins lines. I;ve only seen pictures of them and they are really nice.

Taking on painting a 25-28mm samurai army is a MASSIVE project.

I was at a convention that had a great 15mm samurai battle. I ended up buying the rules. I would recommend them as I like the battle rules and the command rules. It's a fairly easy system. Mainly it's your attack rating and the others defence rating then you roll a 6 sided for each figure. If you like rolling lots of dice and seeing the result then this is the game. But is only one roll for attacking not the three rolls like GW, so I think you get the fun of it but not the monotony. One thing about the rules is that I didn't like is that sections of the troops may turn on their commander. But you can work with the rules and make them your own, the base rules are very good.

Here is the game I got to see. If this doesn't make you want to do 15mm, then I don't know what will.

Matt

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:35 am
Profile E-mail

I feel like I know everything there is to know about people who sell 15mm samurai.

The best i've seen online (30minutes of searching is all...)

Essex (early samurai):
Eureka:

and to a lesser extent:

Peter pig:
Freikorp:

The 28mm from Perry do look incredible, but I can see how building an army to play with would be a lot of work.

15mm would be cool to have. And it doesn't seem like it would be that expensive since figs come in packs of 8 for infantry for like 2pounds.

Oops, I noticed this company puts out 15mm samurai, though i can't find pictures. Their other pictures look good though,

and...one more:
minifigs:

Last edited by musischen on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:10 pm
Profile E-mail

Welcome!

I've just been looking around town recently for minis myself. The others basically nailed it, the usual places are GW and Yellow Submarine, and other than GW and maybe one or two other fantasy-based mini games there is not much.

I have not seen much in the way of historical minis but if anyone finds any about town, I might be interested too - DBA/DBR looks like a lot of fast fun to play.

For scifi/anime-based universes, In addition to the GW stuff, there *appears* to be one or more (non-battletech) mecha-based mini games but I have only seen bits here or there. Not sure about rules. There are some tempting mecha minis at YS in Shinjuku (to the left of the GW section). Given the history and culture, I would be shocked if there was not a Gundam ruleset and minis, and I have actually seen "Legend of Galactic Heroes" ships in 25mm at a recycle place in Akihabara - but no rules or anything.

Also YS in shinjuku just really came through for me - for some reason they split open a Tau Battleforce box earlier in the year, and since I am collecting a Tau Empire army I was happy to mop up the things that I wanted out of it, at a big discount. Something tells me GW would frown on that :)

If you are interested in starships, Martin mentions Full Thrust in another thread - I just ordered a fleet from them and it just arrived, the minis are high quality and very inexpensive (compared to GW anyway). Shipping was reasonable. The Star Fleet Battles guys at ADB have an online store for their minis as well, not sure what their shipping is like, the SFB mini ruleset is arcane and deprecated though (in favor of a giant hexmap) and it might be better to just buy them and play with the Full Thrust rules, as much as I used to love SFB.

Post is getting long, I should start assembling and painting my Imperial Japanese Space Fleet :)

Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:28 am
Profile E-mail

HI Guys,

It is noce to see the Miniature forum moving along!

I think in town it is impossible to find anything but a few SCIFI and FANTASY miniatures. So far GW is the biggest.

As for historical we have been using plastic 1/72 for DBA armies, and it is pretty unexpensive and with a little effort the armies look very nice.

For other periods (renaissance) we tend to use 15MM because of space and transportability. They paint up really fast and are quite sturdy and do not chip easily. Unfortunately I do not know any company that sells 15MM in Japan at all. Its a pity because Samurai would be popular.

I think so far Ezzex are the Crispest miniatures, Museum are nice but sometimes the proportions are not super, but in general I like them.
I think that A good point on essex is that the miniatures have the right amount of detail not too much not too less so they turn out quite easy to paint.

I am happy to help anyone who wnats to start with some DBA/DBR I can provide some paints for free too as long as are used to prepare gaming armies!!! I wat more opponents!!! I also can get rule sets.

I cannot yet say if I will make it at the games day but if anyone is interested I would be happy to host a game at my apartment (wife permitting).

Cheers

Giovanni

Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:42 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

musischen wrote:
I feel like I know everything there is to know about people who sell 15mm samurai.

The best i've seen online (30minutes of searching is all...)

Essex (early samurai):
Eureka:

and to a lesser extent:

Peter pig:
Freikorp:

The 28mm from Perry do look incredible, but I can see how building an army to play with would be a lot of work.

15mm would be cool to have. And it doesn't seem like it would be that expensive since figs come in packs of 8 for infantry for like 2pounds.

Oops, I noticed this company puts out 15mm samurai, though i can't find pictures. Their other pictures look good though,

Good work!

Let me know what you find out and go with. I will do a samurai army someday. I've looked at doing them in the past but just didnt pull the trigger.

I think I have some links from some pages of other people that collected samurai, I'll try to track them down and post.

I'm at a stage where if I was going to plunk down a ton of money to build an army, I would get samples from each manufacturer. I'd then take note of which figures would work with each other as far as size and perportion, then I would order portions from those. Keeping the figures within the same unit varied looks the best to me. Using multiple manufacturers would help with this.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:24 am
Profile E-mail

---------
It's been said that Eureka's samurai are the current best on the market for 15mm. They're aussie so now's a good time to buy from them and also their shipping is reasonable to Japan.

Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:58 pm
Profile E-mail YIM
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next