It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Battletech Photos on the Jigg Group - It's fun, really 

Post Battletech Photos on the Jigg Group - It's fun, really
I've posted some snapshots from the Battletech game Matt, Garner, and I played last Saturday (15 Feb). Light and medium mechs carried the day, running circles around the deadly but slow heavy and assault mechs.

I think that Matt and I have enough minis between us for anybody who wants to play to run a lance or two.

You may have to logged in for the link to work.

Cheers,
John

Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:16 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Battletech Photos on the Jigg Group - It's fun, really
Looks really interesting. Can you post a link to furthur info about this?

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:39 pm
Profile E-mail

What would you like to know? Since I'm not sure how general or specific to be, I'll err on the side of too much information.

Here's the wikipedia page about . From that one page, you should be able to follow links to more information than you're likely to ever want. Don't let the overabundance of game fiction put you off. I know very little about it. It's the future, semi-feudal houses travel the stars, and for some reason giant stompy robots are considered a practical military tool. It makes very little sense, but who cares? Big robots! With lasers!

The complexity of the game scales. I've only ever played it with mechs, but if there are additional rules for infantry, fighting vehicles, air support, artillery, and on and on. I'd like to try it as a combined arms game, but it's fun with the just the mechs. I think the figures are about 25-35mm tall, depending on the mech. There is an introductory box set that you can pick up that has the rules and 20 or so plastic figures. I'm pretty sure that Matt and I have enough for several people to play, so there's no need to buy anything. You can give it a shot and see if you like it.

I hope this has helped, and not been too incoherent.

Cheers,
John

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:17 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

It's an 80's game, so there is some record keeping, but nothing close to being overwhelming. One thing that is interesting is that the core Battletech rules haven't changed at all in 20 something years, and they just reproduced the rule books. They have added new equipment and robots(mechs as we like to call them), but it is the same game as it ever was.
Along with a fairly likable combat system, you can get as deep as you like with the story line. They have fleshed out the Battletech world more than any game I can think of.
John's right, we have enough game stuff. No one would need to purchase anything. I'd be happy to demo it anytime. And if you did happen to find it appealing, there is a starter kit that has about 30 plastic figures, all the rules you need, and is only about 7,000 Yen. I don't think you would have to upgrade from the starter kit for a couple of years, if ever.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:28 am
Profile E-mail

Hi All,

I have not started yet, but I will be interested into it in a couple of years, although I have been researching and you can download a basic rulebook and data pdfs from the official web site.

check it out it quite nice.

Giovanni

Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:52 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

giovanni wrote:
I have not started yet, but I will be interested into it in a couple of years

Wow! You really plan ahead! :D

It's a fun game, but for me minitature gaming has always been a lot about the models and I always feel weird playing with stuff I haven't build and painted myself. Hehe!

-Martin

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:32 pm
Profile E-mail

Martin wrote:
giovanni wrote:
I have not started yet, but I will be interested into it in a couple of years

Wow! You really plan ahead! :D

It's a fun game, but for me minitature gaming has always been a lot about the models and I always feel weird playing with stuff I haven't build and painted myself. Hehe!

-Martin

You know.......that use to be how I felt about miniature games. But now I am different. I don't have the time to paint, love it when I do, and it is always cooler to have your own stuff, but there is way more to Battletech than that.

We do scenario missions, all have been different so far. As a person that is running a game, they come up with the scenario, decide on the force level that will be facing the players, decide what force level the players will have and if there are any limitations, and decide on what true or non true info to give the players. You would need to decide on terrain and any special rules we use during that game. These can all be based off the current lore for the Battletech universe, or not.
A player is given the mission/scenario with as little or as much info as they are aware of, then given the maximum size of their forces which they can then develop their team, then make a plan on what kind of mechs they will bring. Some scenarios would require jumping mechs, or long distance ranged mechs or fast mechs. It may depend what mechs they chose if they know exactly what the opposing force will consist of.
When all is done and we sit down and play, it is quite a tactical game, and I was surprised how many options you have tactically when I picked this game up again last year.
It isn't usually just move and shoot. It is using your mechs to the best of their abilities, and using cover, and prioritizing targets, and knowing when to retire a mech if damaged. It's maximizing your advantage so that you can complete the mission. As you play you start to know the technical specs of mechs, and you will be able to pick out enemy mechs and know at what ranges those mechs are good at, or what mechs have little armor and can be taken out quickly. You will also learn that some huge mechs with large weapons aren't to be messed with and need to be avoided.

There's lot's to this game. The figures are as easy or as complicatid to paint as you want them to be, there is making terrain, and if you want to run a game you can let your imagination run wild making up scenarios.
The scenarios can be anything from a rescue, to a recon, to an all out attack, to anything you can think up. The forces can be balanced, or very unbalanced. There can be random objectives, new information given to the players that might effect their mission during the game....anything.

It all makes me wonder why people choose using games where both armies are made up using a point system and they slug it out. I guess that's where the showcase painting comes into play.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 pm
Profile E-mail

I know I hated Gw For lack of good scenarios, and thats part of the reason why I love Warmachine. I hardly ever play caster kill anymore. Usually we use a random scenario or objective from the league books. But the more I see of this game the more I like. Might even try to make it out to your next session.

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Actually I think GW's customer base are to blame for that rather than GW itself. There's a bunch of (admittedly rather rudimentary) scenarios in the basic rulebooks for both 40k and WHFB, but I never really see anyone use them. It's always get-2000-points-of-troops-and-have-them-face-eachother-in-a-long-line.

It seems like most people (kids?) are obsessed with balance and "fairness" although in reality asymmetrical but well thought out scenarios are usually more fun.

Oh well, I've always prefered GW's smaller games, like Necromunda, over The Big Two. And speaking of Necromunda, there's a game with loads of great scenarios and campaign material!

Erm... and to try and stay a little bit on topic; I'd love to play some Battletech some day! :mrgreen:

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:23 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Planning in advance is more a necessity than a virtue! The problem is that I have so much stuff to be painted that it will take me at least 2-3 may be more years to paint! I will soon start the miracle dip technique and try to get some stuff done! I'd love though to make some camouflaged mechs they would look so cool!

Giovanni

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:11 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next