It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Anyone interested in WHFRP or 40krp? 

Post Re: Anyone interested in WHFRP or 40krp?
Martin - a suggestion:

Why not flesh out those scenario ideas a little bit into something brief that could be played as a one-off at a games day? That would give you a chance to play with the system, but with no ongoing obligation, encourage people who are interested in the game to come out and try it with you, and with so many interested people around maybe a little talk could hammer out an arrangement for a regular thing.

Thu May 14, 2009 9:57 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Yes, I think that's a good idea. One-offs are a great way to get started.

My current ideas have grown to campaign size so they're a bit too big, but I have some other one-offs that could be used of course.

With Rogue Trader coming out in a couple of months I might just wait for that to get something started though. Hehe! :mrgreen:

Fri May 15, 2009 3:51 am
Profile E-mail

Rogue Trader will definately open more doors for creativity. Another HUGE universe of possibilities to content with, literally!

I have a one-off in my brain for wh40k but I only sifted through part of the rules, and looked through all the pretty pictures (some of the are sooo cute!). You know? I haven't roleplayed in 12 yrs or so and I would love to again, but the people I have hung with all have babies or fast cars; no one has learned to join the two yet; and I am definately not contending. Back to the point, if you want me to give you the idea, you can run it and I will happily participate woohoo! OR whatever :)

I wouldn't mind doing this. I do have the book here as well as Legend Of The Five Rings RPG.

Brett

Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:31 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Haha! Babies and fast cars eh? Yeah, I know what you mean.

I was actually thinking about holding off on 40k rpg until Rogue Trader gets released in a couple of months. Or, since FFG is realeasing a for it in a few weeks, I'll maybe run that to see how it feels.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:20 pm
Profile E-mail

Hmmm I don't know. Is going thru career pathing better than levelling up in a generic trade? I find that this system, although it has some variety and does allow you to follow other career paths, still limits people to a designation, especially roleplay-wise. I also find that this system kind of forces you to act in that trade as opposed to say "a warrior" which, is pretty generic in itself. I suppose this can be said for any futuristic campaign setting but it still rankles me a bit.
A real question though is, when will they make an RPG involving the Astartes? I would love to get a crack at being superhuman and quashing the little pygmies of general humananaty beneath my servo'd feet (without slipping of course!); cut a swath of blood and viscera with my power claws. Wouldn't that be grand. I suppose it wouldn't be much of an rpg due to the clan-like nature but still, there would be potential to have some rogue marines without a unit / chapter. Ronin - des.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:18 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

You're talking about how the career system in Dark Heresy is kind of rigid?

Well... in a way, yes. The different careers are clearly defined, but there's also quite a bit of leeway within the careers. Admittingly some are more rigid than others (tech-priest springs to mind) but I think that generally the skills you can accumulate are diverse enough to let you create rather unique individuals. And should one want to create something that falls outside the scope of the official careers it's very easy to do by just taking some different skills or talents.

From an in-game standpoint I think roles should be clearly and narrowly defined. This is 40k after all and it's much more feudal compared to other sci-fi universes; if your father was a gutter sweeper you're a gutter sweeper! :)

As for playing as one of the mighty Astartes. You might not be aware of this, but the original publishing plan that Black Industries laid out was to first get Dark Heresy out of the door and then follow it up with Rogue Trader and finally Deathwatch. There was some worries initially that FFG wouldn't heed this plan and just make due with Dark Heresy, but last year they stated that they are following through (as we can see from RT being released at the end of summer) and sooner or later Deathwatch will appear as well. Deathwatch of course being the special chapter dedicated to making aliens extra dead...

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:43 pm
Profile E-mail

Ooooooooooooh goody! Ok, I am happy. Probably could have pregen'd the rules anyways but still, more pretty pictures. I am happy that FFG is following up with a lot of Black Industry things, especially Talisman!
Rogue Trader will be interesting to say the least. I am curious what a navigator would look like specswise. I am always thinking of DUNE when it comes to these creatures (Both versions minus the worm).

Well, this is on the to do list for me as well one of these days. Now we have a following on HG, seeing that Messy is on board. Evens out the 2 sides.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:40 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Yeah, it's really cool how FFG are investing a lot in their recently aqcuired GW deal. Just last week they announced and considering that's an entirely new game (with "plastic playing pieces" instead of plastic miniatures. Hehe!) I'm looking forward to seeing other cool board games set in the warhammer or 40k universes. Fun on a bun!

As for navigators, I remember reading the old Inquisitor Wars trilogy by Ian Watson as a kid and there we find out that navigators look like humans but with a third eye on their forehead. This of course is the warp eye and anyone looking into it goes mad and dies... scary scary

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:41 am
Profile E-mail

If I recall correctly, the career paths in DH were supposed to represent what your character did whilst he/she wasn't being 'commissioned' by an Inquisitor to perform some suicidal investigation or somesuch. I mean, nothing that typically happens in a DH session is something that a Guardsman would be expected to do in the course of his role as a member of the Imperial Guard, it's something 'extra curricular'. I always figured that this was why rank increases seemed to carry implied increases in status within characters respective organisations - their work for the inquisition has left them more experienced individuals than their fellow Guardsmen, for example, and this is reflected by 'rank increases' that simply come with experience rather than being bestowed by the dm.

I guess a lot of groups skip over all that downtime business, but in my limited experience with the system the characters never did 'back to back' Inquisitor requisitioned work, it was, in game time, something that came up occasionally. But how do all these characters seem to be free at the same time for Inquisitorial missions? Simply, orders from an Inquisitor trump basically everything else that would concern a character.
In this sense, the pacing of a Dark Heresy campaign is probably a bit different from that of a typical dnd campaign, for example.
Anyway, the 'career' is pretty much that, I think, an actual career, and can be assumed to at least pay for food and lodging etc whilst you're not 'adventuring'

Anyway, I think the same pattern will be manifest in Rogue Trader's gameplay. Interstellar travel takes time, after all, even if you utilise the warp... character advances will probably be accompanied by implied rank increases within the ship's command structure, with increased responsibilities and such that come with it.
I'm looking forward to the intro scenario! No participating stores in Japan (somewhat understandably), it seems, so we'll just have to rely upon the PDF :p

On Deathwatch - I was always against the idea of playing Spehss Muhreens until I heard about the deathwatch. They operate in small groups (like a party structure), all come from disparate chapters (which is where players glean personality and roleplaying guidance, hopefully resulting in interesting party dynamics) and hunt down foul xenos scum across the galaxy! It's epic tier stuff! Do want.

Chaos in the Old World sounds like Risk on crack... or warpstone. Definitely looking forward to playing a game in the setting where you actually have some impact on the setting itself. My WFRP characters tended to die horrible deaths despairing at the unfair, unthinkable brutality about them, so it'll be nice to be the one meteing out the horror and brutality for a change >:D

Anyway, exciting times to be an RPer who likes GW licenses

Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:41 pm
Profile E-mail

---------
Well written Electric. I suppose I was looking at it a different way. I can now look at it with a different perspective.
This is definately a game I would love to play, even as a one-off with pregenerated characters by the DM. I imagine that a lot of fun can be had. Hmmm what hair-brained shenaneggans will the inquisitor have us do this time!?

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next